Home

Seen any good films lately?

Gabez

I loved the soundtrack Skye, but I can see what you mean by it being over the top. I think they wanted to "cinematise" it more than the shorter films so they went for a more dramatic score.

It was, at least, great to hear the good old theme-tune, especially when it kept on coming back in resquenced forms a la Star Wars.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Stay," which was just released here in the America, is worth watching. The cinematography rivals that of a Tim Burton movie, yet it's actually related to the story of the movie.

Again, worth watching, especially if you're into psychological thrillers and "Jacob's Ladder."

My local cinema did a tripple bill the other day with W&G, Nightmare Before Christmas and The Corpse Bride.

Sadly I missed it, I had other commitments, but hopefully they'll be doing it again soon.

Oh and Joshi, I've been told that actually there *were* hawaiian shirts, i guess I just wasn't paying enough attention. Shame on me.

Oh and Joshi, I've been told that actually there *were* hawaiian shirts, i guess I just wasn't paying enough attention. Shame on me.

I wasn't paying too much attention either, but if there were then it was perfect (horses aren't really that important)

Over the past few weeks I've seen:

League of Gentlemen Apocalypse - this started incredibly badly, but did get better. Nowhere near as good as the TV series, but still worth watching for the medieval scenes if you like the Gents' messed-up sense of humour - just about.

Batman Begins - great! I really enjoyed this. I loved seeing Gotham City's decline into the gloomy, oppressive city we all know and love, and the atmosphere of the film was just right.

Serenity - not an awesome film, but I enjoyed it more than any other sci-fi film I've seen in a long time (with the possible exception of the final 10 minutes of Star Wars Episode III). It had an interesting storyline and it was compelling. Quite an achievement for your classic adventure-in-space sci-fi film, because I'm generally not a huge fan of them... although TV series with the same premise are invariably great. Funny how that works. I think I'll buy the Firefly box set, if one exists...

[whatever's in the cinema at the moment] of the Dead - mmm. Zombies. People being eaten and stuff. Telegraphed 'scares'. I'm not a fan of zombie movies, but eh, it was enjoyable I suppose.

Next on my DVD rental list: the American movie 'Jackal'. Because I've just finished reading Day of the Jackal and it was ACE. I've already seen the original British film version.

I didn't think they were that hard to find, I found mine in a local Silvescreen store, I'm sure someone like Amazon would have it. I'm still not sure whether I prefer the TV series or the Movie better, I think because I've seen the TV series so many times by now I might prefer the Movie (which I've only seen twice), but I think the series may be better. Good music as well.

I saw this on dvd not at the cinema so I don't know if it counts, but I recently watched Bubba Hotep.

It's a very hard film to describe, could say that it's Elvis Presley and JFK in an old peoples home fighting an evil mummy who's dressed like a cowboy. That description might give the wrong impression about the film though, it's not an all out comedy - it's very slow and thoughtful.

It's got Bruce Campell from Evil Dead as Elvis and it's well worth a look. It's a lot better than I could explain (I'm not very eloquent) and the soundtrack is awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Nightmare Before Christmas as they were showing it again at my local cinema. It's really great, but you knew the already right? 4/5

Then I saw Corpse Bride which is also really really good. Better story than Nightmare but less dynamic. Also better soundtrack but worse songs. 4/5

And since these are the Mojo forums, I can say that both films really reminded me of Grim Fandango - particualrly the sub-characters like the Mayor in Nightmare and the skeleton children in Corpse Bride.

Last night I saw Howl's Moving Castle which I really really liked. Hayao Miyazaki's other films are supposed to be better though, so I should see them too somehow. 4/5

saw jarhead the other day, really enjoyed it. i'd recommend seeing it at least once, but then again i'd do that for any movie so you can form your own opinion. except for saw. because, seriously, saw sucked. let's not talk about saw.

tomorrow i'll be seeing that new movie about kid wizards for free cuz i work at a movie theater. yes. and i'm reallly looking forward to a movie that comes out in december called SYRIANA.

and the new king kong trailer feels like god smiling at you.

Yeah, King Kong Harry Potter and Narnia look set to rock big bells.

I saw Legend of Zorro which, despite getting panned by the critics, I really enjoyed. This was probably because a) I love action/adventure stories b) I didn't find the kid annoying and c) the nasty cinema man got all the talking children to shut the hell up. Talking children ruined Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the Harry Potter films for me.

And even though it's not new, I recently saw classic anime Akira. It was on a projector so it still counts as cinema, sort of. Interesting fact: I bet the biking sequences in Full Throttle were inspired by the start of that film. Seriously, compare the two and be amazed. It would also explain the haiku at the end of the game.

And Saw? Saw the DVD recently (no pun intended, honest to God) and I thought it was pretty good. Had the guy from the Princess Bride in it.

I'm going to see Potter tomorrow so I'll be back with a review then. I haven't seen Zorro, nor do i intend to. Far be it for me to judge a book by it's cover and I did quite enjoy the first one, but the second looks to dissapoint. The first impression I got from the trailer was that it was just a movie filled with set pieces, it told me nothing of the story except that the kid is now old enough to seem annoying (I was too much reminded of the kid from The Mummy Returns), and even if he isn't, it's way too much of a cliché these days for the action adventure sequel to give the main characters a kid.

Of course I can't really pass judgment at all until I see it, but for me, I may just rent it when it comes out (I have very little money and I'm spending what I have left on Potter tomorrow, so I can't really be wasting money right now on films that I may or may not enjoy)

Saw Potter and I can only really say good things about it. I suppose if I try real hard I'll find some bad ones as well, so lets just see how things go.

First of all, Hogwarts is now a school, the children in it act like school kids, which is great fun to see, even if you're still in school. Secondly, the triplet can now act. I know they did act a bit in the last film, but this film is all out acting, and it's good. Humour has been cranked up a bit, many a time the audience errupted with laughter around me, which is all good. Effects are all out this time round, but not enough to overburden the story, which is also done well, if not a little surprisingly in parts as a lot of readers of the books will find.

The film in all is incredibly grown up, not all scenes are seen from Harry's POV like in the books and the dialogue flows nicely, it's not just giving us information anymore, but it now seems like the characters are living. The final act is done very well, inkeeping with the tone that the book laid down for the graveyard scene, all the way through to the credits, which, unlike the last 3 movies, don't arrive on a happy note as the film ends with the death of one of it's main (if not new to the films) characters. One little foible I do have is in the spoiler below.

The only thing that really got me is that anyone who hadn't read the books but had half a brain knew that Moody was infact Crouch Jr by around halfway through the movie, or at least when you finally see the pensieve scene and then is told that Polyjuice potion was taken from Snapes store cupboard. Now obviously, people who aren't familiar with the books probably would have forgotten polyjuice potion from the second movie by now, but it's still pretty obvious, whereas in the book, readers weren't given enough clues by half to figure it all out until it was too late and it worked a hell of a lot better then. Even if they'd did it gradually, it would have been good, but the movie seemed to make out as if he had something wrong about him from the off. Even still, all was good and done really well.

The ending especially will leave you more than a little teary, even if you have read the book and know what's coming.

So, basically, I'd give it a 4/5

I really enjoyed Potter. The films have been getting better and better in my opinion (wasn't a fan of the first film, thought the second was decent, really liked the third). This one's great. I agree with Joshi on basically everything he had to say about it, and I'm glad the Weasley twins are finally characters in the films.

there's TVs at my work that show a bunch of trailers on a loop, and one thing that entertained me about the Zorro trailer is that he is on a horse and makes the horse jump onto a train. Which really just seems redundant to me.

Yeah I went and saw it too. In IMAX no less, so it was really big. Definately liked it better than the earlier ones. But I thought the first two were pretty dull. Never read the books, but I like the darkness finally building up it's no longer we beat his balls ten years ago and still fear him and oh scary scary you live under a turban of an enemy. Never really liked that.

I'm actually now in two minds about what i said in the spoiler above. here's the other side of it.

Basically making the audience feel weary of him to begin with seems like a good idea as they won't be spending as much time at the end confused as to how and when he wasn't the real Moody (just to clarify, he was never the real Moody). It also leaves the audience feeling less betrayed, I'm sure plenty of people fell in love with Moody's character in the book, only to have the rug completely pulled away in the end, something that didn't happen in Philosophers Stone as we never really got to know Quirrel. In the movie, we're given red herrings, but we're also given the real lead as well before the reveal, which can be good as we're not led to fall in love with the character (well, the ferret scene makes up for a lot, but the classroom scene showed him to be torturing his students instead of teaching them)

I still leave it with it's 4/5, infinately better than the first two movies, and keeps with the same style as the third(well, almost, if we wanted that, they would have hired Curón again).

Archived