Home

Seen any good films lately?

Gabez

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe was completely fantastic. Beats Potter hands down, not that it's a competition, and my fears of "they've LOTR'd it :(" were unfounded. Excellent!

Now bring on The Magician's Nephew and make me happy. Hell, I'm going to write to Disney and ask to direct it myself.

Also just saw the Lion the Witch and the wardrobe, and yes, very enjoyable. For people like me, who've never read the books and can't really remember the old cartoon, it's very fresh and interesting. Not too much emphasis on the War (WW2 I mean), more emphasis on the fantasy world of Narnia. Tilda Swinton does a brilliant job as the white witch, but since her role as Gabriel in Constantine, I never really had any doubts about this. The CGI animals looked real and didn't take away from the reality of Narnia, Aslan was perticularly well done. I won't give a full review as that would involve a few spoilers and i really don't have the energy at 2 in the morning. All I'll say is, well worth a watch, I give it 4 out of 5 (I'd give it five, but the film critic in me would have a few things to say about that).

Lion, Witch & The Wardrobe was DAMN poor! I don't recall the book, it may or may not have been a good adaptation - but I was very underwhelmed. The score was nice, and I did enjoy the fact that the grown-up version of Susan was played by "Big Suze" from Peep Show, but that was about it!

Narnia has more potential, though. Give it to a better director! Like Tones!

I wasn't blown away by The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe either. It was better than the average film adaptation - I mean, it didn't leave me bitter, having destroyed my childhood dreams, which is what usually happens - but it didn't really capture the magic of Narnia for me. The first bit with the Professor was probably as close as it got.

There was a particularly nice bit with Digory (the Professor) at the end, after the credits had started rolling, which relates back to the prequel and is also kind of prophetic towards Prince Caspian too.

I don't remember whether the book made it so explicit that

the Professor had been to Narnia himself

. It certainly hinted at it, but I thought it was more implicit. Hmm.

Still, that bit was appreciated. Stopping to stand in the aisles at the cinema, like a gimp, is always fun.

The score was nice, and I did enjoy the fact that the grown-up version of Susan was played by "Big Suze" from Peep Show, but that was about it!

Narnia has more potential, though. Give it to a better director! Like Tones!

Oh man, I didn't notice Big Suze. That's hilarious. Presumably not an intentional in-joke!

Last night Ricky Gervais told viewers of the British Comedy Awards that they should be watching Peep Show. Which is good!

Still, I'm not sure this particular slice of Narnia did have more potential, you know. There isn't much to the story, and there's even less to Prince Caspian. It'll be interesting to see what they do there.

Roll on Voyage of the Dawn Treader!

Well Huz,

the book of The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe doesn't say that the professor has been to Narnia. It alludes to it (maybe) but we all know he has because of the sixth book, which is the best one, and the first in the chronology.

:D

Well Huz,

the book of The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe doesn't say that the professor has been to Narnia. It alludes to it (maybe) but we all know he has because of the sixth book, which is the best one, and the first in the chronology.

:D

Oh ho.

Is that the one with the pools and the rings and stuff? How is it spelt out that the boy is the Professor? Remind me. :~

Yes it is that one.

I don't remember exactly, but as far as I know... at the end of the book Polly (the little girl) plants an Apple-core from the tree in Narnia which Jadis got her powers from in the garden. A tree grew from it, and it says that years later Digory cut the tree down and made a wardrobe from the wood. He then put the wardrobe in his house, and the rest is history.

And I might be wrong about this, but it looked like Digory threw an apple at the kids at the end. I'll have to check next time I see the film.

I'm suprised you were underwealmed by it - I was *totally* blown away, ridiculously so. It might be to do with that fact that I haven't slept for days but I was practically crying at how good that film was. Practically crying.

I thought it was the best adaptation ever; it didn't just faithfully retell the story, it actually made it better.

I award this film a million out of five!

I also saw Roman Polanski's Oliver Twist which was on at my arts cinema, and it was really good too. 4/5

Well the DVDs are freely available in shops and on the net.

As for the music, the real die-hard fans can buy the soundtrack from Amazon!

Or, hell, just download the main theme (plus some "remixes") here. ;

I agree with it having pretty good music - it's full of nostalgia, anyway. The movie had a good soundtrack too I thought.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I've also seen Munich and have to agree that it was very good and very opwerful at times. Slightly long, but nothing overbearing and outstanding acting. 4/5

Also saw Fun with Dick and Jane. Carrey's good although not really on top form, he could have done better, and he's certainly showing his age, even if he doesn't think he is. The plot is something one can get behind, but effectively, isn't met as well as it could have been. Overall, I'd recommend it to anyone who's just out for a bit of fun, but don't expect to be laughing all the way, simply because not all of the jokes are funny. 3/5

May as well go full hog with the other films I've seen (I got a 12 month movie pass from my parents for my birthday, so i've been seeing a hell of a lot of movies), but I aint giving full reviews.

Just Friends 2/5

Just like heaven 3/5

King Kong (have I done this already?) 5/5

I'm behind on everything because I go to Baghdad Univesity (or at least the Welsh equivelent) and we get everything late.

Anyway, I just got back from Serenity which showed at the arts cinema due to popular demand for this weekend. The cinema was completely filled, which meant that the audience reactions were great, though I also got squished next to a guy who kept coughing because he smokes and smelt like a pub. I slouched down so far away from him that I was practically on the floor, but anyway. The film was brilliant, of course, with full marks in special effects, music, acting, plot and characters. The cinematography was great, especially the camera work, and the whole thing was so refreshingly original. Comparative, I think, to the first Matrix film. My only regret is that I didn't watch Firefly before seeing the film, though now that I have seen the film I'll be sure to get the series on DVD. 5/5

King-kong was great, definitely worth seeing. The film really raised the bar in terms of special effects laden action sequences. 4/5

I also caught The Producers. I hear it's not as good as the original, and I'm sure it doesn't compare to seeing it live, but, hey, I enjoyed myself. Some catchy songs and funny scenes. 3/5

Four Rooms 3/5 Been meaning to watch it for a while since I like Rodriguez and Tarantino a lot, it's pretty quirky and not all that great, but I love those guys too much not to like it.

THX 1138 4.5/5 Rewatched this one the other night, the special edition with all of the CGI. Really good stuff, classic sci-fi.

Archived