Home

Seen any good films lately?

Gabez

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MUNICH was absolutely astounding. i can't believe spielberg made the subpar (i thought) War of the Worlds in the same year. everybody go see munich. i didn't even notice the length at all until i walked out of the theatre and checked the time on my phone.

oh, hey, since we're all rating out of five, 5/5.

and recently i've been watching a bunch of documentaries (because i'm making one, and i need a bunch of stuff to subconsciously rip off). Hoop Dreams is the best documentary I've ever seen (5/5), Murderball was really enjoyable (4/5), paradise lost was great as well (4/5). haven't gotten to Grizzly Man yet but i've rented it and it's just sitting on my tv.

and for the record i was not really a fan of the narnia movie. i didn't think it was bad at all, i just found it entirely unremarkable. 2/5. they're making sequels, hopefully those will sell me on it.

Saw "Derailed" yesterday. Decent performance as ever from Clive Owen, Anniston was also pretty good although a lot of people will always think of her as Racheal from Friends. The plot's a bit odd in the way that it seems all of hiis problems could have been solved if he'd just been honest with his wife. I know a lot of films have their theme as honesty, but when lying ends up owing you $120,000 and medication for your own daughter, most people tend to be a bit truthful. Still, that's no reason to hate the movie completely, Owens performance alone, along with the perfect villian from Vincent Cassel (The nightfox from Oceans 12) is enough reason to see it. I'd give it a 3/5

I watched Glengarry Glen Ross last week because David Mamet is a genius and I've wanted to see it for years. It's a truly great movie; it has about three sets and is set over about a 24 hour period but it totally sucks you in and leaves you completely enthralled. Obviously Pacino is exemplary, and Ed Harris puts in a good turn, but Jack Lemmon steals the show. It'd be a crime not to give this movie 5/5

I watched Apocalypse Now Redux again too, but this time I was tripping and it was one of the three most amazing experiences of my entire life.

Saw Big Moma's House 2...wait, scratch that. Was dragged to Big Moma's House 2. All I can really say is, it surpassed expectations considring my expectations for the film were as low as could possibly be. To be fair, it had a few laughs and it didn't take itself too seriously. I won't go into too many details, but I give it a 2 out of 5, which is two more than I expected to give it.

EDIT

No point in double posting. Just been to see Aeon Flux. Well, half of it, I never walk out of a movie I've paid to see, but as I have this movie pass thing, I found the movie to be less a waste of my money and more a waste of my time. I won't go into details because there's so much I can say about this movie and it wouldn't even scratch the surface of how bad it is, so I won't try. But i'll put it this way, I've seen plenty of bad movies in my time, but none of them have actually annoyed my like this one. I know that a lot of you will go and see this out of curiosity now, even if you expect it to be bad, you think it's one of those films that you have to see just to say that you saw it, word to the wise, please don't, it may result in a sequel.

Quick rundown.

Okay, so, since my last post, I've seen Good Night and Good Luck (very good if you can follow it, otherwise, it'll just result in boredome as my friend found out, 4/5), Date Movie (gross out comedy of the Scary Movie kind...if you like that kind of thing...my date didn't like it either 2/5 and I'm being generous), Lucky Number Slevin (good story, decent acting, amazingly predictable, 3/5) and finally, today, I saw Proof (a story about math which has very little math in it, actually it's a story about a girl trying to find out if she's as mentally unstable as her father was before he died, I'd say it would have been better if you could warm up to Gwyneth Paltrow's characters, but as it is, her one moment of happiness was too short and I found myself getting irritated by her, 3/5)

• 2 weeks later...

So i guess no ones watching any movies at the moment then? Fair enough. I'd hate to double post, but that's frankly the only way people are going to see this. I'll give a quick rundown (again). Let's see.

Went and saw the Weatherman, quite enjoyable, some funny jokes, but overall, I'm not sure if Nicholas Cage's character was likable enough for me to get behind him, 3/5.

Two for the Money, frankly, a very weak story, Pacino is, well, he's Pacino which some may find to be the only winning quality of this movie. 2/5

The Matador, very funny, nice story, but drags a little in the middle, would have gotten a 5 if it weren't for that as the performances were great. 4/5

And finally, V for Vendetta. What can I say, Blow stuff up, sprout some Shakespear, blow stuff up some more. But still, inspirational speeches, interesting and somewhat surreal scenes, good characters, great story and even Natalie Portmans British accent can be forgiven. 5/5

Right, now I'm off to make some eggs in a basket.

Well my local arts cinema just showed Seducing Dr Lewis, a full month before it's being released in the UK, which was cool (plus it was free!)

The film was also really, really, really good... it's a Canadian-French comedy about a remote island village of 120 people living off welfare after their fishing industry died. They need to sign on a doctor full time so that they can have a factory on the island and have jobs for everyone, but no doctor wants to live there... until, that is, one doctor agrees to stay there for a month, whereupon all the villagers have to make him fall in love with the island so that he'll stay on. They do that with lies and by tapping his phone, though... hilarity ensues.

If you want a comparison, think a cross between Amelie, Goodbye Lenin! and Father Ted.

Everything's perfect about this film and it's definitely a must-see if the above description tickles your fancy. One for the DVD collection methinks... 5/5

Slither looks good, but I'm probably only going to go see it for the same reason Alien is :p

At first, yes, it was because of Nathan, but I think the movie will be great on its own as well. I'm - as always - cautious not to read any spoilers, but from the trailer, site and pictures I guess it will be kick-ass fun. Maybe like a darker Tremors or Evolution?

Slither looks good, but I'm probably only going to go see it for the same reason Alien is :p

At first, yes, it was because of Nathan, but I think the movie will be great on its own as well. I'm - as always - cautious not to read any spoilers, but from the trailer, site and pictures I guess it will be kick-ass fun. Maybe like a darker Tremors or Evolution?

• 2 months later...

One of our smaller local cinemas had an "Indiana Jones"-triple last week... that was really cool. The mood was just perfect, and watching these films in a cinema filled with people who LOVE them (otherwise they wouldn't have bothered to waste 8 hours of their lives) was a fantastic experience. I've never seen them on the big screen before, so I was very excited. The image quality was surprisingly good for films of that age. Of course, "Raiders" contained some quite grainy and scratchy sequences, but with each movie the percentage of bad quality parts shrunk, and "Crusade" didn't look worse than a new film being in theaters for a couple of weeks. The most laughters went into any actor's German lines (the movies were shown in English), since some of them are REALLY badly tanslated and/or performed (although I was positively surprised as to how many actual German actors were in the movie who delivered perfect German lines).

I'll definitely be up for another "multiple" like this... be it "Star Wars" (OOT), "Back to the Future" or "Jurassic Park".

Hmm, lets see, what have I seen lately?

Saw Mission Impossible 3, better than the second, on par with the first. I'd give it a 4 (all out of five)

X-Men: The Last Stand, very good, but Bryan Singers absence is noticable and parts of it could have been done better (i.e, dialogue and story telling, the "cure" is nothing more than an excuse for the climax rather than an a larger ethics discussion, which among the various mutants it should have been). Still very good though, another 4.

Prime, meant to be a romatic comedy but you'll hardly laugh and it's not that romantic, 2.

I've seen others, but I'll report on them at a later date.

Archived