Home

Graphics engine for KOTOR 3

Emperor Devon

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Emperor Devon

What do you think the graphics engine should be for KOTOR 3? I think they should keep the current engine, but improve the textures. It would really make it feal like a continuation of the other KOTOR games.

I'm not real familiar with what the graphics engines are called (besides the Odessy for kotor) but I think by the time they release the game they will need a new engine, as the old one will be outdated.

This probably isn't an engine issue, but I will shoot anyway.

I don't know if I am being overly observant or if it is my imagination, but the female characters in K1 have a different (and for me, a more pleasing) stride in their walk than in K2. If (hoping, hoping) there is a K3, I think they should go back to that particular stride. It seems to have more weight to it.

Now the male characters (while it is kinda hard to tell since most of the time I play male characters with long robes) in K1 walked like they were trying to hold a corn cob between the cheeks. :D I wouldn't want that for K3.

Originally posted by Darth InSidious

No, it's not just you, MdKnight. The female ppl in K2 do do the hyperactive crawling thing and it puts you off using, for example, the Handmaiden.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has noticed this aspect of the game. It wasn't so evident the first few times that I played TSL, but the first time that I went back to play K1, it was quite obvious. The females in K1 kinda "launch" from step to step with a little swivel in the hips. I like that. ;)

What do you think the graphics engine should be for KOTOR 3? I think they should keep the current engine, but improve the textures. It would really make it feal like a continuation of the other KOTOR games.

I agree.

If they change the engine, it will affect the continuation of the story.

Better to keep the same one, but improve it.

The current engine is outdated, so a fancy new one would be nice.

The only problem, how would a new engine effect modding?

If it wouldn't, then I'd like an updated engine. If it would, then I hope they keep this one.

Of cousre, even if they do change it, the masters of Holowan would surely crack it.

If Empire at War is an indication of direction, I think the engine will be built from the ground up.

Well, at least they should improve the outdoor areas with the new engine, they are kinda unrealistic imo because they're a bit too small compared to the characters, while the indoor levels are ok. That's what I can think of at the moment. But generally I would welcome a lift-up of the current game engine ;)

not really take a look a warcraft series

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/real_time/screens/warcraft1.jpg

http://www.deafgamers.com/warcraft1.jpg

http://www.computergames.ro/assassin/images/warcraft3/warcraft1.jpg

as you can see thats an exponential graphics change and guess what? the warcraft series never falter or lost its sense of balace its only become more of what we believe is warcraft which is the opposite affect of what you believe will happen. :)

well, the Oddessy engine is from the last generation of graphic engines. with this in mind, IMHO, i think that Kotor III would recieve reviews that reflect on how terrible and outdated the graphics are if the Oddessy engine was used. of course, i distinctly remember several reviews docking points on TSL for using an already outdated graphic engine (notablely IGN and GameSpot).

trust me: the difference between a Game of the Year Award and a measly Best RPG award for Kotor 3 could end up riding on the graphics. people everywhere have come to expect games to look as realistic as possible, and Kotor 3 will be no exception.

now, if you ask me, i think that Kotor 3 should use one of the following game engines:

• Source (Half-Life 2)
  • Doom3
  • Quake4 (yet to be released)
  • Unreal3 (yet to be released)
  • CryTek (Far Cry)
  • StarBreeze (Chronicles of Riddick)
  • Jade Empire (don't know the name of this one)

all of the above engines are either current-gen or next-gen graphic engines that have the ability to make games look incredibly life-like, and in some cases, absolutely beautiful.

well, that's my two pennies on this issue. :)

This Oddessey engine is the mark of the KoTOR series. So naturally, all it would need is uberized graphics.

BUT, if the game engine was changed, I wouldn't mind the system that Guild Wars uses. :) Just as long as the game doesn't turn into button-mashing, I'm fine with it.

well, notice i stated that game should use the graphic engine for the next Kotor game. changing the graphic engine does not mean a change to the gameplay. it means precisely what it sounds like.

besides, it is possible to use a fps graphic engine in an RPG. if you remember, the game "Vampire: The Masquerade- Bloodlines" used Valve's Source engine (the same engine used in Half-Life 2), but the game was an RPG, not an fps. so, it is completely possible to make an RPG with a fps graphic engine.

Now don't quote me for saying this ;) BUT I seem to remember reading something on a site one night and they were talking about III and it would have a new engine.

I personally think if the graphics end were more detailed by default it would cause lower end machines, RAM starved machines, and 32MB video card machines to really slow to a crawl. I have a mid to high level graphics card and it will bog down sometimes even set to a standard setting not so high up in effects.

You can even (believe it or not) be slowed down by a new lightsaber if the polygon numbers are high enough. I've one lightsaber that when I equip it, my game speed cuts in half.

SOOO...I just wonder how good or realistic we can even get?

:ben:

General Kenobi

^^^^

By the time the game comes out, all of the computer parts you mentioned will be outdated. The game is supposed to come out in 07 or 08, computers will be much faster and better by then (assuming you upgrade).

I sorta hope they will be better then, BUT in a way I don't. I think now PC manuf. should begin working on the size/overheating suped up laptops (the wave of the future in computing).

A HT P4 is pretty powerful so we can hopefully stay with that for at least 4 more years if not 5. PC's are WAYYYY to pricey I think for no more than what they are. ;) Especially since for a bit you were having to upgrade every two months or some such crap.

The new Star Wars III video game looked like it had good graphics maybe they could utilize that engine whatever that is. :D

:ben:

General Kenobi

Originally posted by General Kenobi

The new Star Wars III video game looked like it had good graphics maybe they could utilize that engine whatever that is. :D

That's a good idea. I liked the graphics in that very much.

A new graphics engine, preferably one that supports high resolutions (maybe 1600x1400 at 100 khz), 24 AA, 24x Ansiotropic, better texture detail and any other goodies they can fit in. Those numbers may seem high, but this is far in the future, and 2 of the ATi cards that are coming out in October have 32 pipelines, and in CrossFire, they could probably support that, Or for that matter, twin 7800 GTX's with some sort of next-gen SLI could probably pull it off (or maybe twin RSX's?); this kind of engine wouldn't be out for awhile though, so hardware advances should be taken into consideration... Oh yeah, it should used a modified version of NWScript, and come with an SDK :D And also allow backwards compatability so people won't have to buy $1200 in equipment to play it...

Wasn't Jade Empire made on an upgraded Oddessy engine? I could be very wrong.

Nevertheless, if you really believe that you "need" to upgrade your PC every two months, then you don't know much about PCs. At most, I say a PC can work fine for over two years without an upgrade. So sure, you won't play the latest ressource whore at high settings, but who cares? If the gameplay is fun, then everything is good.

On topic, the old Oddessy engine is now far too outdated to be even considered by developers for re-use. A new one, or the use of a newer engine is a must. Us hardcore may not care, but if we want KOTOR 3 to sell quite well, we'll need a new engine.

Archived