Home

Spelling and Grammer, Indiana

MdKnightR

It was requested by ChaiNz.2da that we take this discussion to its own thread. It has been an ongoing issue across our small galaxy and now it has a home. I say it is important to have good spelling and grammar (the name of the thread is a play on words, guys) in every aspect of life, not just in the forums.

Are there any thoughts?

----------

Thank You MdKnightR :) - ChAiNz.2da

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

Dude, I speak french on the streets and vietnamese at home. I rarely use english anywhere else then on the forums I visit.

Sure I make mistakes, but people don't have to spend some time decifering what I'm writing about (at least I hope so).

You should be ashamed of being worse at english then someone who uses it as a third language./B]

I brought this over from the last discussion in the DVD burner thread. I think it says it all!

I don't think that perfect spelling and grammar are necessary in a forum, provided that the post is intelligible and that I don't have to read it three or four bloody times to understand what the hell the poster was going on about.

But "good" spelling and grammar, like you said, is important because without it my sanity is in jeopardy.

Originally posted by Bastila

Thats harder to read them someone making spelling mistakes

I know; thats my point. Typing like that is just lazy. People should make an effort to spell things correctly instead of just saying well I stink at spelling so I can type like I just did up there.

since this was created basically because of my posts I have to say this.

1. I talk with a bigger vocabulary than most people my age I just can put that into words I know how to spell.

2. the highest grade in english I've ever gotten is a D+

3. None of my reports ever looked like what you see basically because I write one wait a day or so look it over and fix it I'm never gonna do this when posting:o

so I just can't spell wrth a dm and can't do grammer very well:D

Originally posted by DarthMoeller

i dnt mnd ef ppl dnt tipe reel wel bt tey shldnmt youse tht as a excse ta B lzy

AND it's improper grammar ;)

"as an excse".. hehehe

a --> following word begins with consonant

an --> following word begins with vowel

Originally posted by DarthMoeller

I know; thats my point. Typing like that is just lazy. People should make an effort to spell things correctly instead of just saying well I stink at spelling so I can type like I just did up there.

Precisely my point! I am not an English teacher, but I am thankful that I had a good professor in college to teach me how to write better. Perfect is not the issue. Taking care to make your post legible is the issue.

Originally posted by jedigoku

since this was created basically because of my posts I have to say this.

1. I talk with a bigger vocabulary than most people my age I just can put that into words I know how to spell.

2. the highest grade in english I've ever gotten is a D+

3. None of my reports ever looked like what you see basically because I write one wait a day or so look it over and fix it I'm never gonna do this when posting:o

so I just can't spell wrth a dm and can't do grammer very well:D

jedigoku, I must commend you! This is the best written post I have seen from you! See what peer pressure can do? ;)

I used to be very bad at grammar and spelling.

However, my English teacher would point out every one of my mistakes and make me do my work over again. And it worked!

So the point is, if you're not good at spelling or grammar, just practice by posting on forums or just have a peer proofread for you (for those unfortunate souls that have to go to school).

:D

Why do I get the feeling everyone is typing really slow and triple reading their post before they submit anything in this thread? :p hehehe... :devsmoke:

--------------------

Yah, I had one of those ancient, decrepit, scowls of a woman for an English teacher. She actually had my mother in her class. As in taught.. not disciplinary :eek:

But though she lacked any human compassion, she could teach the hell out of English ;)if only I had paid more attention

My luck.. she retired the year after I graduated :fist:

I had an evil English teacher once too. She always tried to provoke me into doing better, by telling me I wasn't capable of doing better. She made a bet with me concerning my grade on an exam one time. She lost, and ended up buying the entire class breakfast. Quite funny.

As far as grammar goes, I don't mind as long as the post is legible. But when someone posts like this:

$p34k ñ0rm4||ý ïƒ ÿ0µ w4ñ+ m3 +0 +4k3 ÿ0µ $3$rï0µ$|ÿ!!!!

It just gets annoying. Naturally that's an extreme example, and few people would bother typing like that, as it takes just as much time to type a legible message. I just don't take people very seriously when they don't bother to take their own posts seriously.

Originally posted by THE VIGILANTE

So the point is, if you're not good at spelling or Grammar, just practice by posting on forums or just have a peer proofread for you (for those unfortunate souls that have to go to school).

Your post has a grammatical error. :p You capitalized grammar, and since it is not a person, place or important event, there was no need to capitalize it.

I think it is rather self-evident what I think of grammar. :p

In case it isn't, I think everyone should make an effort to use proper grammar - whether on the internet, for a history essay, for anything, really.

It doesn't take that long to write a grammatically correct post, and it is much easier for other people to read. And if your posts have too many grammatical errors, people will probably stop reading them. There's one person here who's posts I don't even bother to read anymore.

Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da

Why do I get the feeling everyone is typing really slow and triple reading their post before they submit anything in this thread? :p hehehe... :devsmoke:

Probably because they are. I always do. Often, it will take me ten or fifteen minutes to type a relatively short post. In fact, I will take extreme care with this one, probably to the point being a bit pompous.

----------------------------------

As to the main focus of the tread, as long as a post readable, it does not bother me. What does bother me is long "paragraphs" with no punctation. Also particularly bothersome is misspellings. A typo or slight misspelling is fine, but sometime I have no idea what the word is supposed to be. Many time the point of the post eludes me because of this.

I do not understand how some people can expect anyone to comprehend what they are trying to say. Granted, not everyone is an expert in English. That is fine, but people should at least try to post in a manner that understandable.

When someone post someting that looks like I need a decoder ring to decipher, I just skip that particular post.

There are also many people here whom do not speak English as their native language. When this seems to be the case, I will make the effort to read their post. In fact, I commend them. I know that I could never post in a Spanish or German forum.

Kudos to lukeiamyourdad for being able to type, and very well, in a language not his own.

I could probably go on, but I fathom that I should end here, ergo I will.

Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da

AND it's improper grammar ;)

"as an excse".. hehehe

a --> following word begins with consonant

an --> following word begins with vowel

true and while you're at it whom comes after a preposition ( a preposition is something that dictates position to whom, by whom, with whom and so on.)

same and if your lucky like me you get an english teacher who looks past that ( i usually get Bs ( not BS bees)) and last year i got 94 percent in english just becaus i have a large vocabulary and incredible insight into many situations and languages.

Both PsionicBeverage and jedigoku,

Although, You feel you have a larger vocabulary than either your peers or your classmates, it does not mean that your writing skills can't be improved upon.

Sure your messages are communicated on the forums, but don't you feel one bit embarrassed to be corrected?

Although, I find some are being corrected more than others, and sometimes unfairly. (I'm sure they themselves know who they are.)

Since the subject of spelling and grammar is the theme of this thread. One thing that I find very annoying is the use of chat speak/speech/writing. This is a forum, not a chatroom.

(now steps off to get some distance, and waits for the grenades to arrive)

:cool:

Archived