Home

Spelling and Grammer, Indiana

MdKnightR

Well I'll throw in my two bits. ;)

I personally type on a computer from 7:30am till 4:00pm then from 4:15pm till who knows when into the wee hours of the morning. I think since I only do this for relaxation and a bit of fun typing or spelling errors is of no concern of mine.

My poor lil' fingers have probably typed 50,000 words throughout the day so when I get on the forums for fun I could care less.

I try to be clear in my meaning as well as what grammer I use and the like, BUT I do not think it paramount to posting. ;)

I could personally care less if the guy/gal helping me learn how to model spells a few words wrong or puts a ";" in the wrong spot.

What's even worse is when buttheads correct you over and over and over and over in posts. Like their the damn "grammer police." :rolleyes:

I say if it bothers you that much if someone spells something wrong just overlook it and go on.

Quite a few of the modders I talk to only use English here on the forums. I certainly do not expect them to have "perfect grammer, spelling, etc."

I say learn what you can, but do not be a smarthead by correcting people over and over ;) Besides who makes a point to log in and correct people the entire time they are online? That's just a smarthead way to try to be a butt to someones point you often do not agree with :rolleyes:

Heck me and ole' ChAiNz.2da both are from "hick" states in that everyone else in America thinks we can't talk and spell worth a crap. I've had tons of people not believe I'm from Kentucky simply due to the fact I speak properly and my accent has went absent :)

:ben:

General Kenobi

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Patomon5

Since the subject of spelling and grammar is the theme of this thread. One thing that I find very annoying is the use of chat speak/speech/writing. This is a forum, not a chatroom.

(now steps off to get some distance, and waits for the grenades to arrive)

:cool:

No grenades are being thrown from this direction! :) I try to leave that kind of thing to the smilies.

that's fine MdknightR. I'll stop ducking grenades for now.

General Kenobi,

You once helped my father during the clone...whoops, wrong answer.

Actually General kenobi your post is quite commendable, I only needed to read it once. It makes mincemeat out of my post, and conveys my thoughts rather nicely, if not exactly. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by General Kenobi

Heck me and ole' ChAiNz.2da both are from "hick" states in that everyone else in America thinks we can't talk and spell worth a crap. I've had tons of people not believe I'm from Kentucky simply due to the fact I speak properly and my accent has went absent :)

General Kenobi

You are so correct! Just so you know, I am from further south than you are, my friend. Georgia is the Deep South. It may also be of interest that my English professor (the one I mentioned earlier) taught at NSU in Oklahoma...another so-called "hick" state. It just goes to prove that there are people in "The South" who know how to speak and write English well. :)

Also, I want to be clear (since I feel that much of your post was directed at me because I seem to have started the whole rant over spelling before I began this thread). I am an art teacher, not an English teacher,and I am not great at spelling myself (thank goodness for Dictionary.com ). If one of my students asks me how to spell something, I have to grab a pen and paper because I can't do it out of my head without assistance. All I want is for people to try to communicate clearly and stop being lazy. Perfection is not my aim. If it seems like I was acting as an overzealous member of the "grammar police," I apologize.

Both PsionicBeverage and jedigoku,

Although, You feel you have a larger vocabulary than either your peers or your classmates, it does not mean that your writing skills can't be improved upon.

me done sayed I can't write

err I mean I can't write very well and I know it. The problem is no matter how much work I do to improve upon it I really go nowhere.

to put that in perspective

when I was in middle school I was reading and understanding college level books, but I was still writing and spelling as bad as a forth grader. So with that said I really have a hard time putting my words on paper and the worst part is I can't spell 90% of my vocabulary but I can tell you what the mean:(

Hee hee hee. :D Nope not directed at ya at all ;) Just puttin' my two cents in.

I had someone correct me one night like 5 times in 5 different posts. 2 or 3 people would talk then one "lurker" in the conversation would take it upon themselves to correct everyone. :rolleyes:

Now I hate lazy drunk stoned posties who just sorta "hit the keypad" and looks to see what comes out...lol

I agree try to be literate but you don't have to have every P&Q in the right spot I say. :D

I usually for myself correct my own posts after I post them for spelling especially if its a real post over in Holowan where I'm trying to help someone or they are helping me ;)

I'm a Graphic Designer here and a Network Admin. so most def. not an "english guru" myself either :p More like an english nut...lol

General Kenobi

Originally posted by jedigoku

err I mean I can't write very well and I know it. The problem is no matter how much work I do to improve upon it I really go nowhere.

to put that in perspective

when I was in middle school I was reading and understanding college level books, but I was still writing and spelling as bad as a forth grader. So with that said I really have a hard time putting my words on paper and the worst part is I can't spell 90% of my vocabulary but I can tell you what the mean:(

You did pretty darn good with this post just now. I speak both English and Spanish fluently. Learned English in school and Spanish at home. Write both pretty well also. (not perfectly).

A little trick is to actually speak out loud your post, just before hitting the submit button. If it sounds funny or strange change it. It takes less than a minute, unless you're writing a novel, you'll see an improvement rather quickly and painlessly on all your skills. (Yes, This also includes speaking to women).

:shads3:

You did pretty darn good with this post just now.

A little trick is to actually speak out loud your post, just before hitting the submit button. If it sounds funny or strange change it. It takes less than a minute, unless you're writing a novel, you'll see an improvement rather quickly and painlessly on all your skills. (Yes, This also includes speaking to women).

:shads3:

well I'm at home now and I have a spell checker for my browser now:D unlike at work

Oh, I don't know, maybe because two of his threads request information on initiating first contact with the opposite sex. he-he. :D

Two threads? Gee, are we a little desperate? :D

Sorry, I am in one of my moods tonight.

yes 2 one which I had closed because it turned into a lets prove how retarded our gender can be:( which ended up with me and devon apologizing to all the females of the forum:eek: devon apologizing:eek:

the second one has stayed most pleasant for the moment:D

Originally posted by Emperor Devon

Your post has a grammatical error. :p You capitalized grammar, and since it is not a person, place or important event, there was no need to capitalize it.

I think it is rather self-evident what I think of grammar. :p

In case it isn't, I think everyone should make an effort to use proper grammar - whether on the internet, for a history essay, for anything, really.

It doesn't take that long to write a grammatically correct post, and it is much easier for other people to read. And if your posts have too many grammatical errors, people will probably stop reading them. There's one person here who's posts I don't even bother to read anymore.

Oops...

Don't wory, it's edited now.

;)

errr...let's not bring this thread off-topic too... :tsk:

I think spelling is important but while we strongly encourage people to make efforts to spell correctly on the boards, we also have to take into account that many members come from different countries. I think the boards are definitely not the place to nitpick about spelling and grammar. People shouldn't be uncomfortable to post on the boards because of this. We're here to have fun after all! :)

Maybe I am a bit biased here as English is my 3rd language (after French and Spanish. I also speak Italian, a little bit of German and Inuktitut (inuit or "Eskimo" language) and a very tiny bit of Quechua (forgot almost everything), also known as the Inca language.

If you're not good in spelling, try to do more reading, it's an excellent way to learn.

@patomon5

im not saying that my vocabulary impedes my grammar i am just saying that i have a large vocabulary aswell ( im not saying it doesn't have it difficulties) btw your read out loud tip is a good one :)

and @darth333 maybe we should make sure the writing is legible and not worry about every comma and period's placement.

and btw isn't "eskimo" the wrong name? I believe its inuit I live in canada so ill have nun a vut.

Originally posted by Darth333

If you're not good in spelling, try to do more reading, it's an excellent way to learn.

Agreed! It may take up time, but it's useful and fun!

@jedigoku, I recall how you once said you've read enough books, and don't need to read anymore. That explains your spelling. :p

@Darth333, I'm surprised. I thought they spoke English as well as French up in Canada. Still, it looks like your mother language.

Agreed! It may take up time, but it's useful and fun!

yes but sometimes taking up time is the point besides being the best and maybe oldest form of entertainment.

@ darth333 i didn't know you live in quebec, montreal you're lucky you get the carnival du sucre all i get is the sickly sweet smell of pot...

Originally posted by PsionicBeverage

and btw isn't "eskimo" the wrong name? I believe its inuit I live in canada so ill have nun a vut.

yes, that is correct. I just put the other word (which in fact I dislike to use because of the meaning) as I noticed that sometimes the term inuit is not understood.

Originally posted by Mono_Giganto

I know you said not to go off topic, but I have to ask. What drove you to learn that? Even just the little bit you know. That's very cool!

To make a long story short, I lived in many different places due to parent's job. My dad speaks it fluently.

Jedigoku you could take about 15 minutes/day to read a book: it's not much and I'm pretty sure it would help. On the millions books that exist, you can certainly find something ;)

Originally posted by General Kenobi

You know out of all the books I've read over the years my favorite is George Orwell's Animal Farm. ;)

That was a good book. Remarkably like the Soviet Union... :lol:

However, animal farm cannot compare to one of the best books ever writen...

*Insert Dun dun dun! sound effect*

:devburn:DANTE'S INFERNO. :devburn:

Just so this remains on-topic, Dante's inferno has a slightly different sense of grammar, but heck, it was writen hundreds of years ago.

As far as books are concerned, I don't really read much. I have always been a very slow reader because I have comprehension problems. Well, not really, but when I read quickly, I don't get all the details. I like to make sure that I completely understand what is going on.

As far as favorite books are concerned, I like the Dragonlance Legends trilogy. My favorite sci-fi book is Aftermath by LeVar Burton. I couldn't put it down and I managed to finish the book in just one weekend. That's a record for me!

Right now I am trying to read Gauguin's Intimate Journals, but it is a hard read. The entries jump around a lot and it is translated from his native French into what is now century-old American English. Throughout the journals, he will stop every once in a while and say,"This is not a book." Every so often, though, there is a gem of an entry that is very interesting.

Archived