Home

Spelling and Grammer, Indiana

MdKnightR

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, as far as spelling and grammer goes, i really don't care about it as long as i can make sense of what's being said. i know that i kinda have a wierd style of posting (by not putting in capital letters except for proper nouns), but my posts are still legible and (hopefully) easy to understand.

and if your looking for a good read, i highly recommend any book written by Tom Clancy. his stuff is just absolutely brilliant. :D

You mean Tom Clancy like some game manuf. or creator or the like? I can't remember what that game was maybe Ghost Recon? or is that a different one?

Tom Clancy is a writer and those games like Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell are based on his books.

I recommend you try some Star Wars books. Theres tons out there, and your obviously a SW fan if you post here.

watch out tho some star wars books are really depressing in both depth and plot wise... but maybe some1 should start a thread on good and bad star wars books or series.

Does anyone think that programs with heavy spell checking like Word and Word Perfect have lessened our spelling and the like?

Doubtful, they're rather handy in picking up typos and the like that's easy to overlook when you are writing some long text. If you don't know what it should be anyway a spell checker won't be much help since they aren't really context sensitive. Some texts become quite hilarious if you blindly follow what it suggests. :)

That just reminds me of this little gem, in case you haven't seen it (read it out loud): :)

Eye halve a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plainly marques four my revue

Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am wrong oar write

It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee fore two long

And eye can put the error rite

Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it

I am shore your pleased two no

Its letter perfect awl the weigh

My chequer tolled me sew.

Now that's kewl stoffe! Hilarious! :thumbsup:

Yah, I tend to get more annoyed rather than finding the checkers being helpful. Especially in MS Word! Red lines here, Green lines there... it's maddening :nut:

I usually wind up turning off the "suggest while typing" option just so I can see my text rather then gobbly-gook color lines everywhere :xp:

Does anyone think that programs with heavy spell checking like Word and Word Perfect have lessened our spelling and the like?

It may have played a part in it. I know for a fact that much of our modern media (phones, typewriters, e-mail, etc.) have contributed greatly to the loss of penmanship skills over the years, so I would think it is highly probable.

Well, thanks to both MdKnightR and Lion54. You guys are too much :D

I don't think spelling mistakes bother me that much. I can overlook them. However, when somebody makes a post, without proper punctuation and add in a lot of spelling mistakes, I simply can't read it.

I don't think spell checking programs can help you. If something is grammatically incorrect, the program won't help you much. It might even change the entire meaning of the sentence.

I'd like to point out, that most of the non-english speaking LF members, can spell very well. Ranging from the french-canadians to the scandinavians, passing by the dutch and the germans, all of them, all of us, seem to make much more effort in spelling correctly, avoiding grammar mistakes and using good puctuation then some of english speaking ones. Not pointing at anyone, but I find some posts unreadable.

I'm a native from GeeBeedotcom and there was a member who would write his posts in a big block without paragraphs or punctuation. After a while of complaints from fellow members, he changed his ways and now posts in a very "neat" manner.

Oh, in case you're wondering, no, english classes in Québec are not good. Our schools are not capable of teaching english to anyone. They can't even teach proper french. You mostly learn it on your own, reading books and watching TV. Yes, TV helped me learn english and they dare say that it's bad for your education.

I don't think spelling mistakes bother me that much. I can overlook them. However, when somebody makes a post, without proper punctuation and add in a lot of spelling mistakes, I simply can't read it.

thats true language barrier exaserbates misunder standings and too bad about english classes there we get good french edjucation here in bc

Archived