Home

New Jedi Knight Game Rumors

Weirdbeard

Seeing a new JK game (a longshot at this point but who nows what the years will bring as more and more shooters hit the market) built on a next gen engine would be sweet as long as they can accomodate up to 16 player servers.

I would only hope that LucasArts gives another studio other than Raven the license to develop it.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a little depressing. There aren't any SW games coming out that I'm particularly interested in. Battlefront is okay - fun to play for a while, but there are no characters - no story line. I gets old fast. I suspect the same with Empire. What I liked about the JK series (and the KotOR series - though I prefer action based combat) were the story and character combined with excellent gameplay. In short - a good single player experience. Even Republic Commando had some of that. The Episode III game had some pretty cool saber combat options - but let's face it - as a game it was very weak. Co-op was a good idea, but badley implemented. Since KotOR II - the only game I've liked was Lego Star Wars - and it looks like that will be the only one I'll like for a while. Was RotS the end of story telling for LucasArts?

Honestly, I don't remember seeing a story-based game since KOTORII but I haven't played Republic Commando yet so I can't comment on that. Still, with Empires and Battlefront II being the focus right now, it certainly seems Star Wars games are becoming more about "It's Star Wars BUY IT!!!" than "buy it because it has a good story and it's a good game." Just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

I am completely shocked that no one has discovered the pattern to the Jedi Knight Series. ALL OF THEM USE A QUAKE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!! DF1 used modified Doom engine DF2:JK used Modified Quake 1 or Quake 2 engine I beleive. JO and JA used the Quake 3 engine. I am speculating that The next installment will use Quake 4 Engine, how hard is it for people to see? That is why there are no plans yet. The Engine isn't complete and they are unsure what they are going to implenment and what kind of story to write. For Some odd reason I have never seen anyone speak about Quake and JK together which has seemed odd for me. So I decided to post this. I know its still speculation, but I know there will be another game at least one similar to the Jedi Knight series coming to PC's as well as Next-Gen Consoles :) by 2007 or 2008.

I am completely shocked that no one has discovered the pattern to the Jedi Knight Series. ALL OF THEM USE A QUAKE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!! DF1 used modified Doom engine DF2:JK used Modified Quake 1 or Quake 2 engine I beleive. JO and JA used the Quake 3 engine. I am speculating that The next installment will use Quake 4 Engine, how hard is it for people to see? That is why there are no plans yet. The Engine isn't complete and they are unsure what they are going to implenment and what kind of story to write. For Some odd reason I have never seen anyone speak about Quake and JK together which has seemed odd for me. So I decided to post this. I know its still speculation, but I know there will be another game at least one similar to the Jedi Knight series coming to PC's as well as Next-Gen Consoles :) by 2007 or 2008.

I think Quake 4 is using the Doom 3 engine however, so your prediction seems a little flaky. As well, Quake 4 is being developed by Raven, who also makes the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series. So they're too busy right now to do another project.

And don't mind Insane Sith. He's just sad at the fact his soul died a long time ago. Isn't that right, Sithy?

Yes, Quake IV is using a modified Doom 3 engine. The main flaw with this pattern (others have made similar conclusions in other threads, by the way) is that while the DF and JK engines were similar to the Doom and Quake 2 engines they were not the same. Both were developed in-house by LucasArts. The Dark Forces engine was called the Jedi Engine and Jedi Knight's was called the Sith Engine. While it is possible for a new JK game to use a modified Doom 3 (Quake IV) engine, that's yet to be seen.

Oh, I'm sure InsaneSith has a soul. He's just... well... an Insane Sith. :):giggle1: Yeah. I know. My jokes are lame. Pay no attention to my uncontrollable silliness. I mean nothing by it.

Does Lucas Arts have this in the developers hands yet or?

Loved Jedi Outcast and Academy so....what's next? Taken into account the great ideas they should implement these into the next series along with a new graphic engine, but which do you guys think would make for the best engine?

VaderR

I think the unreal engine,it plays well over the net.

firstly, Dark Forces and Dark Forces 2 didnt use an engine that was in any way remotely related to any of id's engines. secondly, the main reason that jk2/ja used q3 engine was because 1) Raven the developer was very familiar with id tech as they had been building games off id engines since the early ninties. and 2) Raven had adapted Q3A engine for use in Sof2 (sof used q2 engine incidentally) and it was very easy for them to move most of the important parts of the engine over to the JK2 project and leave off some of their unneeded aditions like the ghoul2 dismemberment system and such.

that said, the possibility of the next Jedi Knight game using a id based engine depends a lot on who is developing it i think. if it is developed by Raven or a company that uses id engines, it will most likely be id based, if not, it might be unreal, crytek, lith, or proprietary, who knows.

It would be great to have new Jedi Knight game. Well it must become better than these earlier parts. I dont have JA, but I would buy it if I could find one. They should like take JO Multiplayer n JA Singleplayer, mx em together n create something new n good with that.

WARNING: Nitpicking ahead!

I am completely shocked that no one has discovered the pattern to the Jedi Knight Series. ALL OF THEM USE A QUAKE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!! DF1 used modified Doom engine DF2:JK used Modified Quake 1 or Quake 2 engine I beleive.

I'm afraid not. Dark Forces used it's own engine (Jedi), JK1 and MotS used a custom engine called "Sith." Only JK2 and JA use a modified Quake3 engine.

Every other game in the series has used an engine created in-house by LucasArts (there was a rumor at one time that LA decompiled Doom's code in order to see how to make Dark Forces, but that was never proven and probably never will be).

What I think you meant to say is that Raven Software doesn't create their own engines, they use iD software liscensed engines for their FPS (and rare non-FPSes like Heretic II) games.

JO and JA used the Quake 3 engine. I am speculating that The next installment will use Quake 4 Engine, how hard is it for people to see?

Quake4 isn't an engine. Q4 uses Doom3. I would expect Raven to use an iD Software engine for their next FPS, but we have no guarentee that Raven would be doing the next JK game (if it ever happens). For all we know, LucasArts might decide to do such a game on Unreal tech with a brand new group. We can only guess at this point.

In any case, regardless of who makes it, it would take years to develope, since it would likely either be on a brand new engine or an engine that hasn't had a Jedi game on it yet (the only commercially liscensed engine that's had a Jedi game on it so far has been Quake3).

That is why there are no plans yet. The Engine isn't complete and they are unsure what they are going to implenment and what kind of story to write. For Some odd reason I have never seen anyone speak about Quake and JK together which has seemed odd for me. So I decided to post this. I know its still speculation, but I know there will be another game at least one similar to the Jedi Knight series coming to PC's as well as Next-Gen Consoles :) by 2007 or 2008.

If it was in development we'd at least have heard a rumor about it by now. At this point any "news" of JK4 is as legit as any news of Republic Commando 2. In other words: fan speculation, not facts.

Back in the good ol' days people talked about Quake2 vs. JK to the point that there was a debate forum (no connection to JediKnight.net, which was long before LucasForums ever existed) devoted specifically to the subject. Evil Ash, Nax, myself, Randy Flagg and a few others participated, and had some lively discussions. ;) One guy even did a research paper on it for his school and showed it to us. At the time MotS was coming out Q2 was the media favorite FPS, even though it seemed like the only thing revolutionary about it at the time was the graphics (though admittedly the lack of dedicated servers did hurt JK/MotS which otherwise felt the superior game to us).

Little did we forsee way back in 1998 that LucasArts would get a third party company (Raven Software) and a liscensed engine (iD Software) to do the next Jedi game, much less it being any good! ;) Back then LucasArts wouldn't dream of such a thing.

2007-8? To coincide with the theatrical release of the Star Wars trilogy in 3-D and the rumored release of the OT boxed set (and maybe the PT boxed set too while they're at it) on next generation format (HD-DVD or BluRay)? Perhaps. Though I would hate to think of a JK game suffering from "Battlefront syndrome." :p

Speculate all you want, that's the purpose of these threads. No news is good news I guess. If the new game is as good or better than JK2/JA on a better engine I'm all for it. I just hope the "honorz codez" and abusive mods are purged from everyone's systems by then. ;P

I just hope the "honorz codez" and abusive mods are purged from everyone's systems by then. ;P

Kurgan, as long as guns exist, there will always be gun-crime. As long as drugs and medication exist, there will always be substance-abuse / misuse.

Hoping for the honorz kiddies to stop playing up is like hoping all the morons in the world will get bored of the internet and move on to something else ;) Ain't gonna happen is it? :p

But yeah, we shouldn't stop hoping.

:)B.

Well I mean not every game has them (or do they), so it might be possible for a psychological shift. The other possibility is that they don't allow code editing (no SDK release). And the final possibility is that they make some legal clause in the contract that you can't make abusive admin mods (but then they'd have to police it, which would cost time and money, so probably not).

Archived