Home

New Jedi Knight Game Rumors

Weirdbeard

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y but i remember hearing jka rumors but no annoucment. then all a sudden there were beta version all over the intrernet for free\illegal download. Then like a month later it was on shelves. The game jsut came out no where. I rememeber MOTS was the same wasy. I heard some random rumors in servers and on forums but all form without a course or most of the time people didn't even know who the person who they heard it from got it form the person they heard it from. Then, suddenly like it jsut appeared.

I'm not sayin i belive the rumors, but they are out there.

Is that in a good or a bad way? I was thinking, you throw people around with TK like the force, and fight with a sword. Addition of a few more force powers, and I think it would fit.

No way Crystal Dynamics is licensing that engine.

Yay for the Sith 2 engine!

What's that?

imho, battlefront was hardly a puff in the wind. I knew tons of people who were ready to put up competition servers, and have huge matches. It would have been comparible to bf1942, but mismanagement and lack of proper admin support, and useful dedicated servers, kind of squashed it :(

as for battlefront 2, i have no idea if it will gather the same pre-release support, or if pandemic will handle post-release better, perhaps it will become a bigger game.

this said, galaxies garners a totally different type of player than battlefront/jk series, so i think the jk series is easily the most popular action/fps type of star wars game, and could support a new game if it was done properly :)

If they make a new JK game with the Unreal or the Source Engine it would be a great step forward for the series. Both engines have so much more support and are easy to mod. Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast are both obsolete dying pieces of junk.

How can anything be easier to mod than Quake? It uses plain-text, JPGs and standard zips! All standard formats. And how is UnrealEd ever easier to use than Radiant? First time I used it, it took me half an hour just to figure out how to manipulate brushes! This is supposed to be easier than Radiant, huh?

UnrealEd is way more powerful than Radiant. At least there's one feature that kicks Radiant's ass all over the place: you can practically model the whole map in 3dsmax, XSI Mod Tool o Maya PLE and import it into a level space.

Other features that makes UnrealEd better than Radiant:

- You don't need to spend an hour compiling to preview how your map is really looking (the editor is wysiwyg)

- You can import, compress and make your shader file right in the editor (no need for lame MFC shader editors or text editing)

- You can import static meshes from your favorite 3d suite and use them not only as props, but also a level geometry (and the triangle throughput of the unreal engine is extremely fast).

- You practically can manage every asset of you mod or even the original game's from UnrealEd.

- Epic has released an amazing IDE specically developed for UnrealScript, which give programmers all the power and flexibility they need to code their mods.

Rounding up, I cannot enumerate all the advantages of the Unreal Engine over any version of the Quake 3 Engine since they are too many. But the most important thing is that unreal editing is extensively well documented by the developers themselves, so you don't have to figure eveything out like we had to do with JO or JA.

I guess there's just no avoiding a topic like this turning into a "I haven't heard anything, but it would be cool if..........." thread.

Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast are both obsolete dying pieces of junk.

Maybe, but I still love Jedi Academy. I just hope they make a new one before people completely stop playing JA.

Jedi Knight is hardly dying. And Galaxies and Battlefront themselves are on the verge of dying.

Both JK titles are on life support from a competitive standpoint. If you are an honor saberist you will have more time to enjoy the game you helped destroy but even that 'community' has taken a hit in recent months.

Galaxies is one of the top MMO's out there (dont ask me why, it blows) but there are more than enough Star Wars fans to keep it afloat for, well, forever.

There are limitations (you actually have to work hard to be a Jedi and you can still be killed) and guns in it so I know it is a turn off for most JK fans.

Battlefront showed promise but was poorly executed and with no rules and no sabers it didnt catch on with the JK crowd. Battlefront 2 should deliver on what the original did not....

Battlefront 2 should deliver on what the original did not....

Sadly, it won't. It's basically just the original Battlefront with some new maps and characters and extra frills, that's it. Still the same crappy arcade engine, graphics, physics, etc.

imho, battlefront was hardly a puff in the wind. I knew tons of people who were ready to put up competition servers, and have huge matches. It would have been comparible to bf1942, but mismanagement and lack of proper admin support, and useful dedicated servers, kind of squashed it

Battlefront dies due to little admin support, JKA dies because of too much!

Other features that makes UnrealEd better than Radiant:

- You don't need to spend an hour compiling to preview how your map is really looking (the editor is wysiwyg)

Doesn't take an hour to compile. I can set a compile for about 5 minutes or so.

- You can import, compress and make your shader file right in the editor (no need for lame MFC shader editors or text editing)

Easy Gen makes shaders, I know its not GTK, but hey, who cares in the long run? So what if you have to load up the shader editor?

- You can import static meshes from your favorite 3d suite and use them not only as props, but also a level geometry (and the triangle throughput of the unreal engine is extremely fast).

Hmmm, MD3s?

- Epic has released an amazing IDE specically developed for UnrealScript, which give programmers all the power and flexibility they need to code their mods.

BehavEd scripts for SP. And to be honest, with the way "coding" in the MP community has gone, its a good thing Raven didn't make it easy. You know how many other admin mods we would have right now. Every clan would have a different one, and would probably compete in mod making for the most power (I CAN SLAP U FURTHER!!!!!111 LOLZ)

I'll stop being a GTK Radiant fanboy now, lol.

I also hope they make another one with a longer lasting and more powerful engine.

Powerful I can understand... the engine has its weak points. But longer lasting? It started in like 1999, and now its 2005 and still in use. There won't be anymore Q3 based games, but whatever.

EDIT: Just thought of something. Im noticing a pattern, LucasArts (or a third party) makes a game, then they throw out a sequal in a matter of months by using the same engine, character models, textures, etc. For example: JK2 -> JKA. KOTOR -> KOTOR2 -> KOTOR 3 (?) BattleFront -> BattleFront 2.

See the trend, just like EA games. *cringes* Unfortunatly its all about the profit (well, it always has been, but more so now than before)

Archived