Home

New Jedi Knight Game Rumors

Weirdbeard

Not a bad idea, but that would be better as a Jedi knight 4. That way, there would be no need to have both installed (though most of us would! :D). Also, that way anyone who joins the series late can get an understanding of what's going on without having to buy two games.

And no, guys, let's not get into another discussion about "Is JA JK3 or a JO expansion pack". That's for another thread, which I imagine will be closed swiftly for bringing up an old topic. I think it's JK3. Deal with it. :)

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

If and when they do release a JK4 they had best release it with a Linux server file as well.

I want to slap the daylights out of them for releasing BattleFront II without linux server files. I'll be damned if I'm going to waste my money on a windows based host. *vomits*

So for folks like Amidala who are in contact with the creators, please ask them to include the linux server files when they release a game that can be played multiplayer. :)

E3 will be held on May 10-12, 2006 in the Los Angeles Convention Center. Let's hope lucas will be annoucing a sequel to the jk series. I think enough time has passed since Mar 26, 2002 when jko was originally released.

Here are the relsease dates for past games

1) Star Wars Dark Forces (PC) Feb 28, 1995

2) Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC) --Sep 30, 1997

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (PC) -- Jan 31, 1998 (its expansion)

3) -Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (PC) -- Mar 26, 2002

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (PC) -- Sep 17, 2003 (its expansion)

4) jedi knight 3 tis year???

4 years have passed since jko came out. If they were to annouce the start of a new project now, we could have it in a year or so maybe?

If and when they do release a JK4 they had best release it with a Linux server file as well.

I want to slap the daylights out of them for releasing BattleFront II without linux server files. I'll be damned if I'm going to waste my money on a windows based host. *vomits*

So for folks like Amidala who are in contact with the creators, please ask them to include the linux server files when they release a game that can be played multiplayer. :)

2) Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC) --Sep 30, 1997

I thought it was Oct. 9, 1997? For a long time I thought it was Oct 7th, but the real date seems to be 9th as attested to on many sites on the net. The game had so many delays, a lot of incorrect dates were listed so maybe that's why you posted that one? I'm talking the official release date here.

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (PC) -- Jan 31, 1998 (its expansion)

I could have sworn it came out the first week of February, it was delayed as well, maybe that's why?

4) jedi knight 3 tis year???

We can only hope! If it gets announced at E3, I'll certainly be surprised though. I would have thought we'd have heard at least a rumor by now. But I will be pleased nonetheless if it happens. Here's hoping... ;)

4 years have passed since jko came out. If they were to annouce the start of a new project now, we could have it in a year or so maybe?

Wow, how time flies! Seems like only yesterday...

GL said Star wars new TV Serise is coming this end of year also He said one of Original cast from Movie too (gues who ??)

so next JK game coming on same time or after TV star wars is hit ..

of course Star wars TV serise is going to hit so lot of new Jedi Kight story game is coming too ... :king1::laughing:

do you believe my Force sense ? :laughing:

• 2 weeks later...
wich wasn't a succes at all.

Galaxies? While I haven't played it myself, I'd hardly say it "wasn't a success". Sure, I've heard people bash it, but then again looking round on these JK boards, there's no shortage of bashing ;) It's irrelevant to the 'success' of a game.

Anyways...

That would be stupid.

Just like Star wars galaxies it would go back in time, wich wasn't a succes at all.

They need to go forward, not backwards.

The Galaxies issue aside, imagine a JK-mode game, where you can run around as the newly-restored, bionic bad-guy Darth Vader. A single player storyline where you hunt rogue Jedi and their sympathisers over several story arcs and planets, and a multiplayer strand where you can enjoy a the developed classic gamestyle we're all used to, with the benefits of a new engine, and all-new maps and player characters.

Nah, you're right - it sounds awful doesn't it? ;)

Who'd want to play as Vader?

http://jediknight2.filefront.com/files/search/?search_category=all&fields_name=1&fields_filename=1&keyword=vader&game=38#results

(I'm not having a go at you personally, Neon, just playing devil's advocate ;) )

B.

Technically, I believe the Vader game is something entirely original and not meant to be part of the JK series. Will it be similar to JK - in terms of lightsabers and force powers maybe, but remember that the JK series is also a first person shooter which means guns of various sorts and I seriously doubt a credible Vader game would make use of those. Also, a lot of fans - myself included - wouldn't really consider a JK game without Kyle involved in some fashion to be part of the series. At any rate, there have bee some interesting ideas proposed but I, personally, feel the series needs to go back to its roots - Dark Forces and Jedi Knight, which means:

- more focus on guns and less dependancy on the lightsaber as an uber weapon.

- individual missions that are unique (ala visiting a different local for each level like DF) and are an integral part of the story rather than simple training missions that, IMO, are sometimes less memorable than the later half of JO, which aren't that memorable themselves to begin with.

- a story involving Kyle as the main character (or at least a Katarn, if it's set in the prequel trilogy era ;)) that isn't a whole, "the fate of the universe is at stake" kind of shtick (again, like DF)

- customizable force powers to add some more RPG-ish elements.

- more interactive vehicles.

- more interactive levels.

I'd also like to see a modest engine - not the latest top of the line stuff that's going to force me to buy the most expensive PC, but something that looks good. Frankly, the Unreal Warfare engine (Republic Commando) would be a fine choice if it jumps in the near future. I'd also like to see the original designers involved in some fashion (as they made the two best in the series) and I wants some original music again, dangnamit! :)

Of course, this is all just fan daydreaming and will probably never happen, certainly not for the next few years. But considering the JK community is the largest of any in Lucasforums and JKA is still being modded 2 1/2 years later, is it really all that difficult to image a new game happening eventually? Just look at the popularity of this thread and countless ones like it. ;)

What "Vader game" are you talking about? I remember how we were all excited back in the day about THAT announcement, but it just turned out to be the Episode III: Revenge of the Sith game. A console only third person game with a poorly realized coop mode and no gunplay, just acrobatic sabering.

the series needs to go back to its roots - Dark Forces and Jedi Knight, which means:

- more focus on guns and less dependancy on the lightsaber as an uber weapon.

- individual missions that are unique (ala visiting a different local for each level like DF) and are an integral part of the story rather than simple training missions that, IMO, are sometimes less memorable than the later half of JO, which aren't that memorable themselves to begin with.

- a story involving Kyle as the main character (or at least a Katarn, if it's set in the prequel trilogy era ;)) that isn't a whole, "the fate of the universe is at stake" kind of shtick (again, like DF)

- customizable force powers to add some more RPG-ish elements.

- more interactive vehicles.

- more interactive levels.

I'd also like to see a modest engine - not the latest top of the line stuff that's going to force me to buy the most expensive PC, but something that looks good. Frankly, the Unreal Warfare engine (Republic Commando) would be a fine choice if it jumps in the near future. I'd also like to see the original designers involved in some fashion (as they made the two best in the series) and I wants some original music again, dangnamit! :)

*applauds*

Yeah, that's almost exactly what I want in the next game. They should have never left the roots. DF, JK, and MotS were on a much higher level of quality in gameplay, story, and design and were indeed the best of the series. Forget Unreal Warfare, which I have a hunch was used for console capabilities, and check out the spectacular Unreal 3 engine.

What "Vader game" are you talking about? I remember how we were all excited back in the day about THAT announcement, but it just turned out to be the Episode III: Revenge of the Sith game. A console only third person game with a poorly realized coop mode and no gunplay, just acrobatic sabering.

It was mentioned in a New York Times article about a month ago, and more recently Lucasarts showed the game off to select game reporters...well, more like showed the game technology off, as they didn't really reveal much about the game itself. It's not entirely clear if the player actually plays Darth Vader or not, but he's definitely in there.

CVG Preview

IGN Preview

Edit:

Lucasarts Press Release for DMM Technology

I think the difference in the way the sabers and guns were handled between MotS and JO and JA is because of the filming time of the prequels. The original JK and MotS were using the concept of the Jedi based off the OT were luke used guns just as much as his saber. Then the prequels show up with the Jedi flipping, slashing and force pushing things around all the time. The movies changed our conceptions of what a Jedi could do and the market had to change as well. I personally would be happy with either way of playing but I honestly prefer JO and JA too the originals, I like saber fighting too much.

The movies changed our conceptions of what a Jedi could do and the market had to change as well.

Without question this is true....

I personally would be happy with either way of playing but I honestly prefer JO and JA too the originals, I like saber fighting too much.

I like the saber fighting myself BUT...I think a new game can go back to the DF games to add back in some elements of "thinking" such as finding your way out of jams (other than just hack and slash) like puzzle solving or finding secrets. Possibly having to use something OTHER than a lightsaber.

That being said...I just recent finished JA for the first time (yes...I'm a late comer to JA...way late) and it was simply not up to the quality of JO. The levels were far too linear and easy from a "thinking" standpoint.

If they can add a good story, JA saber fighting elements, hugh level play like JO and some good puzzles like with DF and JO it would be the game for me...

jom

I think the difference in the way the sabers and guns were handled between MotS and JO and JA is because of the filming time of the prequels. The original JK and MotS were using the concept of the Jedi based off the OT were luke used guns just as much as his saber. Then the prequels show up with the Jedi flipping, slashing and force pushing things around all the time. The movies changed our conceptions of what a Jedi could do and the market had to change as well. I personally would be happy with either way of playing but I honestly prefer JO and JA too the originals, I like saber fighting too much.

I like the way they handled it in JO an JA myself not allways having to go up to F(something) to make a force jump, though I wish for more gunning myslef

The "Jedi don't use guns" thing is a brain bug, which developed as a result of the Prequels.

The Jedi in the EU mix up "dark" and "lightside" powers, they use other weapons besides sabers all the time. In the prequels the one bone we were thrown was Obi-Wan's blastering Grievous.

Don't let "canon brainbugs" get in the way of a good game. Without gunning, the JK series would be missing something serious.

Let's face it, the Episode III game is NOT a good model for a future JK sequel. Nice graphics (now surely dated), but that's about it...

Personally the guns never really matter to me as long as the lightsaber combat is good. However, I do agree some of the JKA maps could use more puzzles....but the JKA maps were better than the JKO maps simply because they didn't have unreasonably difficult puzzles in them. Basically, I prefer a combination of action and puzzles (which had reasonable answers).

True, lightsaber combat has been influenced by the prequels but that doesn't mean that the lightsaber has to be an uber weapon that players will constantly rely on in place of the good ol' bryar pistol or stormtrooper rifle. I try not to but more often than not I find myself battling enemies with the saber more than with any two weapons combined. This is only the case with JA, however, and not so much JO. I think they overexpanded the combat system and all the additional moves make combat against non-saber opponents too easy. Honestly, the only thing I find a major advantage of JA that JO truly lacks in its saber combat is the ability to stab opponents when they've been knocked to the ground. Otherwise, the rest of the acrobatic moves I don't use too much and I find it difficult to image Kyle using any of them either. He's a mercenary-turned-Jedi, after all, not a gymnasty. Maybe that's why, after working on the Jedi Knight Mod (yes, I know. Shameless plug :p) a lot of people seem to want the system to bring back elements of the original. And OJP makes the combat system more skill-based rather than hack and slash, which requires you learn to use the saber rather than simply rely on it like a crutch. In theory, this is what JA has attempted to do with expanded moves and combinations, but it fails because there isn't much of a balance.

As for level design, I'm not interested in overly complex puzzles that are more frustrating than anything. Rather, I'd like to go back to the DF days in terms of each level feeling unique and memorable from the last, perhaps by venturing to a different planet each time, if possible and at least more often, and by restoring a sense of atmosphere to the design. As excellent as a lot of Raven's designers are, most of JA lacked a real sense of atmosphere during missions. The Corellia mission is one of the few that succeeds in this respect, but Korriban is an antithesis in that it's a bright, sunny day when it should be dark and desolate and stormy and all black and red and such. Same for Taspir. It should have been darker and more like Mustafar, even if it was before EPIII came out. This is, of course, a matter of artistic sense more than anything, but it's important to a game because a level with atmosphere is something that sticks with you, that you want to play over and over again, as opposed to something generic which is easy to forget and throw aside when you're done with it.

Archived