Home

New Jedi Knight Game Rumors

Weirdbeard

Guest Upgrade

A new Jedi knight game is a good prospect. But what would the story be about? How jaden turns to the darkside or how he doesnt. Personaly I would want more of an expansion pack then a completly new game. So after you beat single were you either turn to the darkside or not it would continue the story

As everybody has been saying with KOTOR 2 and such that a better customisation menu is needed. They could mix jedi academy and KOTOR 2 together so that They could have a better storyline and better gameplay

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guns are essential for a JK style game imho. However that doesn't mean they need to keep the same guns or even the same type of guns that they had in the previous games.

In JK the guns, force and saber were all reasonably balanced and fun. In JO they boosted the saber.. and seemingly forgot about the guns entirely. In the singleplayer at least they were really boring and old fashioned.

FPS games have moved on from the Doom template where there was always a pistol, a shotcun, a rocket launcher, a grenade launcher and a BFG. These days people are used to Halo or Battlefield type games where you have less guns, but you get to choose you loadouts and they are better simulated.

I guess they tried something like this with the mission loadouts in JA.. but with those generic, soulless weapons it really didn't matter. Those weapons always felt too sci-fi, too star trek.. not realistic like the ones in SW.

Most of the original SW trilogy guns were actually modified real world guns, so they had a weight and reality about them.. this never really transfered across to the "glowing ball bouncing round corners" guns or the "star trek disruptors".

(eg: http://www.galactic-conquest.net/popup.php?image=ScreenShot48.jpg)

or: 20040702_trooperblaster_bg.jpg

The Stormtrooper rifle, for example, could be innacurate when fired from the hip and running, but raise it and look through the sights and suddenly you have a more accurate weapon. (though you obviously then couldn't run).

Give the player a basic loadout of Lightsaber, Force Powers, Pistol (unlimited ammo) and a secondary weapon that could be swapped out halo style.

Make the multiplayer loadouts more like class based games.

Make the level design like JK. But with gameplay that was a bit slower, more tactical and more in depth.

Sounds neat toms. I would like it if they would bring back the original guns in jk2df in my view. well, some of them that is. I wish any future games would bring back some favorites. ja brought back the concussion rifle which is ok but cmon you have gotta bring back rail gun if they bring any old weapons back. maybe have where you can hold only so many weapons as well compared to the older games. ( you try holding close to 10 weapons.) add a more variaty of some weapons. some pistols,rifles,sniper rifles,flacette etc

The guns in JK/MotS were the same in MP as they were in SP (of course the original DF had no multiplayer, but it was only guns, no melee weapons except fists, apparently MP was planned but nixed at the last minute and never released, it would have been similar to Quake, I guess, except with mostly 2D sprites, an inventory, and the ability to crouch). They were fun to use, and except for a couple of exceptions, you could do reasonably well with any of them, though certain ones were better in certain situations.

In JK2/JA, the guns in SP SUCKED. They were nerfed (some of them fired faster, but they were all weaker and/or less accurate than their MP counterparts), to increase the challenge of the game and (presumably) get you to rely on the saber. So the guns in those games were more "for fun" or in the rare case where you needed to take out a long distance enemy or were without your saber.

In the multiplayer games, the guns were always fun. Some people disliked them, and of course in a saber duel, they didn't really fit, but otherwise they were cool.

The thing about the FPS games that are popular these days, is that they're based on the Rainbow 6 model. You know, the SWAT team, special forces "real world army" type stuff. Lots of instant hit bullet weapons like machineguns, sniper rifles, silenced rifle/pistols, grenades, flash bangs, anti-armor rockets, that sort of thing. Then you get goofy weapons thrown in for fun like "Gravity Guns" and such. For an example of an attempt to make Star Wars weapons seem more like that, without turning them all into just copies of SWAT/Special Forces type weapons, see Republic Commando. Sadly the MP was poorly supported in that game (no patches, no bots, no demo recording, very few mods, just maps basically and a handful of modified skins).

Alternately you get the WWII style thing, but that's pretty much just a variant off the "real world weapons" idea (same with the few WWI, Vietnam or even Wild West/Civil War type FPS games, it's all instant hit pistols, rifles, shotguns and machineguns of some sort), rather than the sci fi weapons. Even the weapons in Star Wars were MODELLED on real world weapons, they certainly didn't behave like them in most cases.

As for the acrobatics and stuff, Yoda jumps around a lot and sprang off some walls in Episode II, but yeah, generally you otherwise don't see that stuff in the movies. No Matrix style wall runs, obviously.

The guns in JK/MotS were the same in MP as they were in SP (of course the original DF had no multiplayer, but it was only guns, no melee weapons except fists, apparently MP was planned but nixed at the last minute and never released, it would have been similar to Quake, I guess, except with mostly 2D sprites, an inventory, and the ability to crouch). They were fun to use, and except for a couple of exceptions, you could do reasonably well with any of them, though certain ones were better in certain situations.

In JK2/JA, the guns in SP SUCKED. They were nerfed (some of them fired faster, but they were all weaker and/or less accurate than their MP counterparts), to increase the challenge of the game and (presumably) get you to rely on the saber. So the guns in those games were more "for fun" or in the rare case where you needed to take out a long distance enemy or were without your saber.

In the multiplayer games, the guns were always fun. Some people disliked them, and of course in a saber duel, they didn't really fit, but otherwise they were cool.

The thing about the FPS games that are popular these days, is that they're based on the Rainbow 6 model. You know, the SWAT team, special forces "real world army" type stuff. Lots of instant hit bullet weapons like machineguns, sniper rifles, silenced rifle/pistols, grenades, flash bangs, anti-armor rockets, that sort of thing. Then you get goofy weapons thrown in for fun like "Gravity Guns" and such. For an example of an attempt to make Star Wars weapons seem more like that, without turning them all into just copies of SWAT/Special Forces type weapons, see Republic Commando. Sadly the MP was poorly supported in that game (no patches, no bots, no demo recording, very few mods, just maps basically and a handful of modified skins).

Alternately you get the WWII style thing, but that's pretty much just a variant off the "real world weapons" idea (same with the few WWI, Vietnam or even Wild West/Civil War type FPS games, it's all instant hit pistols, rifles, shotguns and machineguns of some sort), rather than the sci fi weapons. Even the weapons in Star Wars were MODELLED on real world weapons, they certainly didn't behave like them in most cases.

As for the acrobatics and stuff, Yoda jumps around a lot and sprang off some walls in Episode II, but yeah, generally you otherwise don't see that stuff in the movies. No Matrix style wall runs, obviously.

Guns! Why would they put guns in the new jedi knight game?

It suppose to be a Jedi focus game focus on combat, lightsaber skills and use of Force powers.

I won't be unfair and say take out the guns.

I am always looking to more freedom and realism in combat tactical choices.

So if you could pick up a gun in real life they should include it.

Some other options I would like to see is the use of the jedi utility belt. Like the way Obi Wan and Anikan use their hooks to negotiate the elevator shaft on "Grevious ship".

Also I want to have the option to climb ladders and grap climb on thing of oportunity.

It make it more realisted like, when your Force jump power is to low to have the option of Force jumping.

Once again to yall acrobatics haters out there; wall runing and backfliping off the walls can be done for real with proper use of speed and balance.

So if they start taking abilities as basic as that out then the game won't seem realisted and immersive as it should feel.

Also if don't like full acrobatics options then DON'T USE THEM THEN. :disaprove

Don't ruin it for other players who like that style use of combat tactics by having them (Lucasarts) taking that basic freedom option away to suite your needs. :disaprove

Again the acrobatics that I been arguing about are't the Matrix style.

STOP! Cease comparing the acrobatics in the jedi theme games to the Matrix, yall are completely misguided on that statement.

:disaprove

With those points made, to possibility solve this argument.

Lucasarts if the combat tactics and acrobatics look realisted and not like Japanese animate then include it in the game.

Lucasarts if you can do it for real if Force is real; with in the basic laws of physics and the mathematics of physical use forces like the Force then include it.

Also merge the combat abilities, options and tactics and add new ones that was in previous games like JKA and Ep III into Star Wars 2007.

Finaly have Nick Gillard, the stunt coordinator; who was reponsible for the combat in the the prequels.

Let him have free will in the combat abilities limit none of his ideas. :lsduel::lsduel::lsduel::cheers::cheers:

For those of you who don't know of Nick Gillard contributions to jedi combat. He oversee the combat that is the most realisted combat ever feature in a game so far, in Ep III the game.

Guns! Why would they put guns in the new jedi knight game?

Guns have been essential to the Jedi Knight series. Remember the original Dark Forces? There weren't Force powers or lightsabers at all.

It wouldn't be a Jedi Knight game without the trademark weapons; Stormtrooper rifles, bowcasters, repeaters, thermal detonators, etc...

Guns have been essential to the Jedi Knight series. Remember the original Dark Forces? There weren't Force powers or lightsabers at all.

It wouldn't be a Jedi Knight game without the trademark weapons; Stormtrooper rifles, bowcasters, repeaters, thermal detonators, etc...

I know that TK-8252!

I don't want them to get rid of: Stormtrooper rifles, bowcasters, repeaters, thermal detonators, etc...

I would welcome more realism and more options.

I have been arguing for more options in the new Jedi Knight game.

I don't want them to downsize nothing from all previous jedi theme games.

I just want more improvement on options in combat, more abilities in combat and more abilities in general.

Finaly have Nick Gillard, the stunt coordinator; who was reponsible for the combat in the the prequels.

Let him have free will in the combat abilities limit none of his ideas. :lsduel::lsduel::lsduel::cheers::cheers:

For those of you who don't know of Nick Gillard contributions to jedi combat. He oversee the combat that is the most realisted combat ever feature in a game so far, in Ep III the game.

Oh please god no! Why don't thy just go the whole way and get Yuen Wo Ping.. he's obviously who they wnated for the prequels anyway.

You can make saber fighting look cinematic.. but the more cinematic it looks the less it will be YOU in control. One thing I would like from the swordfighting, and which might or might not work, would be if the models reflected the moves the person was about to make.

eg: To make a downward slash on someone you (for example) aim the crosshair high on their body. Your character holds his saber high, ready to make a downward slash. Move your cross hair to the left of their body and your character switches to holding his saber out to the left, ready to swing right. At least that way they might feel like real fights with real, flowing, stances.. rather than just click fests.

(maybe they could go with something like the Dark Messiah system where you can block the other player by countering his moves... which would work well with what i described above)

--

As for guns.. the thing about games like BF2 is that the guns FEEL and LOOK more solid. I don't see why they can't take that feel accross to a jedi game, even if they do fire lasers instead of bullets.

Having realistic, well animated weapon models, realistic weapon switch animations, reloading and sight ajusting animations, the ability to look through the barrel for more accuracy, not being able to be as accurate when running and jumping.. all these things help to make the weapons seem more "real". And all these things should be able to transfer across to SW weapons as well as any other.

Oh please god no! Why don't thy just go the whole way and get Yuen Wo Ping.. he's obviously who they wanted for the prequels anyway.

You can make saber fighting look cinematic.. but the more cinematic it looks the less it will be YOU in control. One thing I would like from the swordfighting would be if the models reflected the moves the person was about to make.

eg: To make a downward slash on someone you (for example) aim the crosshair high on their body. Your character holds his saber high, ready to make a downward slash. Move your cross hair to the left of their body and your character switches to holding his saber out to the left, ready to swing right. At least that way they might feel like real fights with real, flowing, stances.. rather than just click fests.

(maybe they could go with something like the Dark Messiah system where you can block the other player by countering his moves... which would work well with what i described above)

If they want to incorporate cinematic style OTT moves then they should only occur as finishing moves. I'd be fine with that.

--

As for guns.. the thing about games like BF2 is that the guns FEEL and LOOK more solid. I don't see why they can't take that feel accross to a jedi game, even if they do fire lasers instead of bullets.

Having realistic, well animated weapon models, realistic weapon switch animations, reloading and sight ajusting animations, the ability to look through the barrel for more accuracy, not being able to be as accurate when running and jumping.. all these things help to make the weapons seem more "real". And all these things should be able to transfer across to SW weapons as well as any other.

--

Plus, for multiplayer, a class/team based approach seems much more rewarding these days.. almost a revertion to the MotS personalities.. but designed for more team based games.

(i'm not saying to make it battlefront 2 - more like MotS meets BattleFIELD 2)

Oh please god no! Why don't thy just go the whole way and get Yuen Wo Ping.. he's obviously who they wnated for the prequels anyway.

You can make saber fighting look cinematic.. but the more cinematic it looks the less it will be YOU in control. One thing I would like from the swordfighting, and which might or might not work, would be if the models reflected the moves the person was about to make.

--

Who the hell is Yuen Wo Ping? Is he a martial-artis movie stunt coordinator?

Nick Gillard is damn good at what he does. :cheers::cheers:

If it was'nt for his abilities in creating the jedi combat in the prequel movies we won't be talking about any jedi games because that concept in the old Star Wars movies would have die out after, "Episode I: The Phantom Mence"; if the combat action was disgraceful.

In Episode III the game you do have all the control in saber attacks; the only cinematic animation is in the blocking.

Which I have already posted saying that the blocking was strewed up.

You must have'nt play the game or play it long enought to learn all the possible saber combos.

There are more than 100, I think.

Reason being you keep believing you don't have no control in all combat actions; because they look more cinematic and real.

Also the moves in Episode III does reflect on one of the 12 characters you play with in versus mode.

I am still discovering combat combos in the game. :lsduel:

you do not have control of the path of your swing, only when you swing.

SWING baby! YEAH! :naughty:

*cough* What? :p

Free Radical's website, by the way, is quality! A classic example of straight-faced English deadpan;

Nottingham is the town that was founded after the success of Kevin Costner's 'Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves' in the early 90s. Its main exports are arrows and tourists.

My only feeling of ill-boding comes from the 'next gen console' thing. I don't want to have to buy a console to play new SW games. Not because they're overpriced and short-lived, but because I can't get used to the damed controllers.

Playing Battlefront on my mate's PS2 is positively embarrasing, I keep trying to get him to buy a better graphics card so's he can buy it for the PC and I can whoop him :p

I know people actually do play JO/JA with gamepads (and not just on consoles), I just can't envision how it's done...

B.

Nick Gillard is damn good at what he does. :cheers::cheers:

If we have to have a real world fight coordinator consulting (not sure thats a good idea after they got real architects for Oni, but ok..) then we need Bob Anderson or no-one. :p

Fre radical make kick-ass arcade games.. but they have never been much into deep plots or complex mechanics. its not yet clear what game they are working on though, i'd be surprised if LA didn't have several next-gen games lined up. (and opefully a Wii one too).

I guess since no one can even agree on what genre FU is its probably too early to talk about it. *wishes it was a cell shaded clone wars game ftw*

going back to damage meters and such..

to an extent you do need one.

but who says it has to be a meter?

anybody ever remember the old destruction derby series on the PS1..

I know this is a bit off the wall but hear me out :p

why not use a model of a body..

where say a certain limb gets attacked the shading on the model will go from looking a light green to slightly darker until red.. and then obviously you lose the limb or die.

which could be healed by a limited amount of force power, but only to half of its usual strength.

so your character would lose strength making certain saber styles in effective and acrobatics and combat sloppy, therefore the character is more prone to making mistakes, or losing saber locks etc.

that way it eliminates the annoyance of a health bar to a certain extent,

and also adds to the point of being to cut of limbs and live..

usually if someone cuts your hand off your not gunna die straight away.

it would also add a good layer of development to your character :p try to get through the game with all your fingers and toes intact. lol

and yes this is my first post just to make a statement :p

Hmm. games back in the quake 2 days used to use pain skins to show damage on models.. for some reason you don't see that much these days. I guess they mostly use decal textures instead now, but the advantage of smethign like pain skins was that you could have 3 set levels.. which would give you a good idea how much damage you'd done.

Though of course those used to work better for ai grunts than for players.

I like the way recent games have altered the viewpoint to indicate things like damage, sneaking, speed kills, etc..

What was the game where the screen faded to Black and WWhite the more damage you took? That always seemed a cool idea to me.

going back to damage meters and such..

to an extent you do need one.

but who says it has to be a meter?

anybody ever remember the old destruction derby series on the PS1..

I know this is a bit off the wall but hear me out :p

why not use a model of a body..

where say a certain limb gets attacked the shading on the model will go from looking a light green to slightly darker until red.. and then obviously you lose the limb or die.

which could be healed by a limited amount of force power, but only to half of its usual strength.

so your character would lose strength making certain saber styles in effective and acrobatics and combat sloppy, therefore the character is more prone to making mistakes, or losing saber locks etc.

that way it eliminates the annoyance of a health bar to a certain extent,

and also adds to the point of being to cut of limbs and live..

usually if someone cuts your hand off your not gunna die straight away.

it would also add a good layer of development to your character :p try to get through the game with all your fingers and toes intact. lol

and yes this is my first post just to make a statement :p

I will like to see damage to your clothes as result of long induring battles.

Make the Jedi uniform rip and tear to simlate a long fought battle.

I think you have a good idea, but also the stuff that was qutoted would be real cool. what id like to see are a crapload of new weapons, designed by US, the players, and a lot of new saber choices. And costume choices.

but overall, the best thing they could add is a completely revamped melee system, one that is random and follows more like a real street fight.

I think you have a good idea, but also the stuff that was qutoted would be real cool. what id like to see are a crapload of new weapons, designed by US, the players, and a lot of new saber choices. And costume choices.

but overall, the best thing they could add is a completely revamped melee system, one that is random and follows more like a real street fight.

Hey everyone!

i agree. I think they should scrap the saber staff and dual sabers and focus on a much stronger standard lightsaber approach that blew us away just like JO did when it was first released. Lets face it. Only darth maul and the assassin in the clone wars ever used non standard sabers. They could introduce a whole collection of different standard light saber styles, each with their own sub stances. They could have tall strong styles (like Vader), lighter agile styles (like obiwan in Ep1 and anikin in Ep2) a ninjitsu style or even have one where they hold the blade upside down. Combat in multiplayer needs to be changed so a dual isn't just a running around and jumping 30ft in the air in the hold to get a hit in. This is nothing like the movies and seems to be all that we see. There needs to be a way to give the advantage to somebody who doesn't just jump away (which in reality would leave you wide open).

Just my thoughts.

Anybody agree/disagree?

thanks!

Hey everyone!

i agree. I think they should scrap the saber staff and dual sabers and focus on a much stronger standard lightsaber approach that blew us away just like JO did when it was first released. Lets face it. Only darth maul and the assassin in the clone wars ever used non standard sabers. They could introduce a whole collection of different standard light saber styles, each with their own sub stances. They could have tall strong styles (like Vader), lighter agile styles (like obiwan in Ep1 and anikin in Ep2) a ninjitsu style or even have one where they hold the blade upside down. Combat in multiplayer needs to be changed so a dual isn't just a running around and jumping 30ft in the air in the hold to get a hit in. This is nothing like the movies and seems to be all that we see. There needs to be a way to give the advantage to somebody who doesn't just jump away (which in reality would leave you wide open).

Just my thoughts.

Anybody agree/disagree?

thanks!

I disagree!

That will make the game less fun and less interesting if you was stuck with the use of only one lightsaber.

Archived