Home

New Jedi Knight Game Rumors

Weirdbeard

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pity about that mod! As many of us know who have attempted stuff like that, ambitious total conversions and other mods (beyond anything basic like an MP map, skin, or saber mod) is that it's really hard to finish something like that, working in your spare time for free. Organizing a team of people like that (especially if you only know each other online) is even more of a nightmare. Kudos to anyone who can pull something like that off and actually release something playable. It's hard! Anyway...

Okay, so there's been nothing thus far. E3 2010 is just around the corner though, right?

Naah, all there is thus far is Ultimate Sith Edition for the PC, which is sort of the "Dark Jedi game" we never ever got, but with no multiplayer and piss poor editing support (not to mention the saber action is button mashing hack and slash as far as I can tell). Force Unleashed 2 MAY end up being a great game, but all we've seen thus far is some concept art and a cutscene, no actual gameplay, and it's a console exclusive.

The Old Republic is a MMORPG, and gameplay looks like a cross between KOTOR and Galaxies... (if that's your cup of tea, but it isn't mine)

So it looks like we're still waiting on that "new Jedi Knight Game."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You know what I really want the most is not only to see this game someday but for it to continue where academy left off with multiple storylines.

If you chose darkside in academy you are left with a very nice cliffhanger as to what happens later on.

Id love to see 2 storylines based off this alone. One: You play as that character on your way to darker powers while kyle tries to stop you. You might get the opportunity to change back to light and be redeemed or I dunno something else. Or you play as kyle with your mission to get the scepter of ragnos back from your student and either convince them to turn away from the darkside or kill them trying.

I'm at a complete loss on ideas for continuing from the lightside... Perhaps you take on a padawan that might betray you later and you are again tempted to join the darkside out of the rage of being betrayed.

Lots of room for multiple storylines but I would like to see atleast the 2 darkside stories happen.

• 1 month later...

Just last week my very good friend, whose name will go unmentioned, started his new job for LA. He has told me that he is playing a small role in a game that has been in development for about 6-7 months and is still in its infancy. The game is an FPS Star Wars based and surrounds the Jedi. Also, it does not run on Frostbite. I think that the force unleashed game does Frostbite so it is most likely not a sequel to that. He says that it will be running something newer that allows huge destructible environments. He has not had much hands on with the game but says the guys who do are about to wet themselves to talk about it. However, they are under some law they can’t say anything or they can be prosecuted and sued! If this is not a new Jedi Knight game it sounds like it is going to be a spin off. I was never a real fan of Jedi Knight but I know a lot of you were so here is some refreshing news after, what, like 8 years?

Just last week my very good friend, whose name will go unmentioned, started his new job for LA. He has told me that he is playing a small role in a game that has been in development for about 6-7 months and is still in its infancy. The game is an FPS Star Wars based and surrounds the Jedi. Also, it does not run on Frostbite. I think that the force unleashed game does Frostbite so it is most likely not a sequel to that. He says that it will be running something newer that allows huge destructible environments. He has not had much hands on with the game but says the guys who do are about to wet themselves to talk about it. However, they are under some law they can’t say anything or they can be prosecuted and sued! If this is not a new Jedi Knight game it sounds like it is going to be a spin off. I was never a real fan of Jedi Knight but I know a lot of you were so here is some refreshing news after, what, like 8 years?

I'm going to call BS on this one, sorry. Any new "Jedi Game" that was coming out was either:

1) The Old Republic (MMORPG meaning subscription based, third person)

2) Force Unleashed 2 (Console only, third person)

I'd like to see another genuine JK games as much as the next person, but I've seen these "a friend of mine..." rumors before, and they always turned out to be false (as in, NOT a new JK game, just another game involving Jedi).

Remember, just because a game involves swinging a lightsaber and some force powers does NOT make it "the next JK game."

The JK series has taken a very specific path. Single player games where you re-create battles from the Clone Wars (or this new "Starkiller" character, funny how they're reusing the original name of last name of Luke and his dad from the early scripts as this bad guy anti-hero character) or online RPG's where you can play as Jedi don't count.

The JK series has always been about a blend of single and multiplayer, and use of guns and other weapons IN ADDITION to the force powers and saber, and yes, blending the FPS genre with some third person melee options... and last of all I'll add.... ON THE PC (first and foremost, even if console ports come out).

Being able to "play as a jedi" is no longer the novelty it once was. Hence, the full richness of the series must be embraced in any future game. You can't just make another RPG or arcade/adventure game and because the title character has a saber that it's another "JK" game.

I hope I'm wrong, but I imagine we'll still be waiting for something this time next month + a day. Sadly I think LA has dropped the ball lately with PC gamers, we've become like the equivalent of Original Trilogy fans on the LucasFilm movie front... hate to say it.

So I don't know why they won't make another one (other than more snubbing of PC gamers)... was JA just not successful enough? Are they worried that only purist fanboys purchase games now and they won't "buy" a Jedi who uses other weapons anymore, or a Jedi game that isn't a straight up RPG?

Still, a new JK game seems like a no-brainer, but then what do I know, I'm just a game fan, not a developer or marketing genius working for LA/LF.

I'm going to call BS on this one, sorry. Any new "Jedi Game" that was coming out was either:

1) The Old Republic (MMORPG meaning subscription based, third person)

2) Force Unleashed 2 (Console only, third person)

I'd like to see another genuine JK games as much as the next person, but I've seen these "a friend of mine..." rumors before, and they always turned out to be false (as in, NOT a new JK game, just another game involving Jedi).

Remember, just because a game involves swinging a lightsaber and some force powers does NOT make it "the next JK game."

The JK series has taken a very specific path. Single player games where you re-create battles from the Clone Wars (or this new "Starkiller" character, funny how they're reusing the original name of last name of Luke and his dad from the early scripts as this bad guy anti-hero character) or online RPG's where you can play as Jedi don't count.

The JK series has always been about a blend of single and multiplayer, and use of guns and other weapons IN ADDITION to the force powers and saber, and yes, blending the FPS genre with some third person melee options... and last of all I'll add.... ON THE PC (first and foremost, even if console ports come out).

Being able to "play as a jedi" is no longer the novelty it once was. Hence, the full richness of the series must be embraced in any future game. You can't just make another RPG or arcade/adventure game and because the title character has a saber that it's another "JK" game.

I hope I'm wrong, but I imagine we'll still be waiting for something this time next month + a day. Sadly I think LA has dropped the ball lately with PC gamers, we've become like the equivalent of Original Trilogy fans on the LucasFilm movie front... hate to say it.

So I don't know why they won't make another one (other than more snubbing of PC gamers)... was JA just not successful enough? Are they worried that only purist fanboys purchase games now and they won't "buy" a Jedi who uses other weapons anymore, or a Jedi game that isn't a straight up RPG?

Still, a new JK game seems like a no-brainer, but then what do I know, I'm just a game fan, not a developer or marketing genius working for LA/LF.

Well said!

I'd be thrilled if they got Raven back for a future JK. JO and JA are still my favorite pc games thanks to them.

If LA got anybody else I'd hope for the guys over at Crytek, but they are busy with Crysis 2. Their level of mod support would make the JK game live on forever (not literally).

• 2 weeks later...
I'd be thrilled if they got Raven back for a future JK. JO and JA are still my favorite pc games thanks to them.

JO and JA are my favorite games too. Lately I've been playing the new Wolfenstein game done by Raven. I'm having a lot of fun with it and its very well done. The SP levels are great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Let's refocus on the question. As for new JK games, I have heard no credible rumors. But, as was stated before in this thread, all JK games have used a Quake engine. Unless Quake 4 or some awesome new engine comes out, the game probably won't be released anytime soon. Force Unleashed II was confirmed to have dismemberment similar to Jedi Outcast and Academy, so it may use a Quake engine. If it does, though, Quake's popularity may rise enough to let the people at Raven get the idea.

By the way, I noticed username JediMarin above me say that there is no good Star Wars FPS games around. I for one have no interest in modding except KOTOR mods. I find them frustrating and useless for the most part.

Jedi Marin- if you are looking for a good FPS- REPUBLIC COMMANDO!!!!!

But, as was stated before in this thread, all JK games have used a Quake engine.

Actually, that's not the case. Even if we don't count the original Dark Forces (which was just a straight up first person shooter), the original Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith ran a the proprietary engine (called "Sith") created by LucasArts.

So Jedi Outcast and Academy used a modified Q3:TA engine. Hence there's no major argument here that the next Jedi game needs to be on a Quake or ID software based engine. It could just as easily by on a different engine.

Unless Quake 4 or some awesome new engine comes out, the game probably won't be released anytime soon.

Apart from graphics, why would it need a brand new engine?

Force Unleashed II was confirmed to have dismemberment similar to Jedi Outcast and Academy, so it may use a Quake engine. If it does, though, Quake's popularity may rise enough to let the people at Raven get the idea.

What does dismemberment have to do with it? I'm fairly certain the Force Unleashed games do not use any "Quake" based engine.

The Quake series is already popular (well, it was, though without regular blockbuster releases, any series is going to fall out of the public limelight).

Other popular engines for these types of games have been the Lithtech and Unreal series brands. Again, there's nothing really stopping them from making another game apart from the usual time, money and desire. If you made a new JK game tomorrow, as long as it was fun, Star Wars fans would buy it. About all the general public needs these days to consider a game a hit though, seems to be decent graphics and a brand name. The only real "trouble" with this series is that it has a higher learning curve than your average shooter (with all the powers and melee moves). But since "Jedi" games are a dime a dozen these days, it needs to stand out in terms of gameplay, which is why the old formula of the series is so important (a flashy physics engine or ability to swing a saber alone won't cut it).

If you re-released any of the Jedi games today, with modern graphics (and of course good online options), it would have as much a chance of success as any of the previous installments in the series.

I certainly disagree that there are "no" good Star Wars FPS games around. But from a company perspective, it seems like they're unwilling to put the effort into creating a solid new game like this, considering how much time they've spent creating games to promote the Prequel era projects (like "Clone Wars") and games that are mostly flash (like Force Unleashed) but don't fit into the FPS genre.

Now that I think of it, do we really need another Kyle Katarn adventure? I rather prefer another spin-off Jedi Knight game (like Jedi Academy) than a Jedi Knight sequel with Katarn. Not that I would be dissapointed or sad if a sequel ever comes out. It would certainly be a lot better than any KotOR or TFU game. ;)

Archived