Home

New Jedi Knight Game Rumors

Weirdbeard

It would be illegal in SP because it would involve reverse engineering proprietary software, attaching a library and hooking into the game's functions.

Pretty sure no one has a license to do that.

It's easily possible in MP because we have the SDK to work with, it doesn't involve any reverse engineering or hooking, because we can perform the post-processing as soon as trap_R_RenderScene is called.

I'm unsure if we could do it in JO. Maybe. If we're limited to using a VM, then no.

It was done by reprogramming the publicly available SDK to use some OpenGL extensions, pixel shaders and framebuffers.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We don't have the engine code.

EDIT: Also, no engine alterations are needed, so engine source is irrelevant.

Actually we do it's known as idtech 3 src available on the ID Software website. Also alterations are require on the engine specially 3d improvements not like bloom effects that we can add without any engine changes...

I think you guys should have a look at this if you wanna improve JKA graphics...

http://enbdev.com/index_en.html

what are you trying to say this website is useless and irrelevant, imo. it all talk about gta4 which is a bad game imo.

Actually we do it's known as idtech 3 src available on the ID Software website. Also alterations are require on the engine specially 3d improvements not like bloom effects that we can add without any engine changes...

what are you trying to say this website is useless and irrelevant, imo. it all talk about gta4 which is a bad game imo.

You don't seem to understand.

Jedi Academy is based off the Q3 engine (iD Tech 3).

This doesn't mean we have JA's engine just because we have the iD Tech 3 source. It's heavily modified.

No engine alterations were needed for me to do what I've done.

And that website wasn't specifically GTA IV. It was a showcase of hacker enthusiasts improving the graphics of a few games. With the SDK we don't need to 'hack'

Jedi knight 4, Get with the program already and make another good starwars game. Force unleashed is shiny pretty and meh... at best but it lacks...

3 games I've been waiting to see for years now:

Vigilante 3 to continue where 2nd offense left off. (please don't even mention vigilante arcade on the xbox)

Megaman Legends 3 to continue where legends 2 left off.

and ofcourse jedi knight 4 to continue where academy left off.

• 5 weeks later...

I just got around to buying The Force Unleashed for my Xbox 360 and I'm very impressed. I played in HD on my 50 inch Panasonic plasma HDTV and the graphics were awesome. I didn't miss the guns much at all with the force powers and the lightsaber. They are much more powerful weapons. I would still like to have a new Jedi Knight game but The Force Unleashed really satisfied me with giving me a new Star Wars game with the latest HD graphics. They blow away the graphics in JO and JA. The holocrons hidden thoughout the levels took the place of secret areas. So there is a lot of exploring to do.

I've been watching youtube clips of people playing JO and JA and everybody is using the lightsaber. This might be why Lucasarts left the guns out of The Force Unleashed. But my favorite weapon in JO and JA is the Stormtrooper rifle.

I think the reason Lucasarts is concentrating on the consoles instead of the PCs is because the consoles cost less. You can buy an Xbox 360 for $200 which is about the price of a good 3D accelerator in a PC. The Xbox 360 graphics are top notch. It has HD gaming capability at a good price. My 360 has been my main gaming machine since I bought it in 2006. I haven't upgraded my PC since 2003.

The reason for the console focus is purely about minimizing risk and maximizing profit.

Sure, the console costs less, but they also know consumers are used to paying more for games, and for a longer period of time (look at the markup even on used games for modern consoles), there's the perception of them being harder to pirate, and the fact is that they have fewer platforms to test on (even while their options are limited by the inferior console hardware). I suppose even if they ported it to every console out there (which includes weaker hardware like the PS2, PSP and Wii), that still is less Q&A testing required than porting it to Mac and Windows (with all the variety of hardware options those platforms normally entail from low to high end).

We might also consider the fact that console platforms have a smaller library of games than "the PC" (and each console is more or less a closed community, as fewer gamers own multiple rival consoles and buy games for each). Hence gamers on those platforms have less titles to compare to, and hence, lowered overall expectations of quality. By this I mean that what would be an otherwise mediocre game, in many cases, on a certain console, instead gets good reviews, because it is only being compared to the other titles in that genre available on the same platform.

So this is why when they give us games on the PC, they are usually given poor treatment... coming out later, being direct (or even inferior) console dumps, etc.

Of course LucasArts has gotten less PC-unfriendly in recent years, but they're a long way away from how they were in say, the mid 90's, when their best releases came to the PC (and first) and they actually supported their products longer than 4 months from release.

That said, I'm a gamer in that sad area where I can't really afford to "upgrade" in any sense, so I'm still using "previous generation" consoles and a PC that's only current as of 2003. I suppose if I scrimped and saved I could get "up to date" but at this point in my life it's not a huge priority right now. ;)

I am impressed with how far online capabilities with consoles have come in the last decade, but I'm sad to see it happen seemingly at the expense of PC gaming.

That said, I'm a gamer in that sad area where I can't really afford to "upgrade" in any sense, so I'm still using "previous generation" consoles and a PC that's only current as of 2003. I suppose if I scrimped and saved I could get "up to date" but at this point in my life it's not a huge priority right now. ;)

I'm in the same situation as yourself. I recently bought the Ultimate Sith Edition of The Force Unleashed for PC (retail version), mainly because it is either hard to find, or very expensive. And this is happening with almost every store over here. The PC games shelve is becoming more and more thin or limited. The few games that exist are overpriced. People don't care anymore about buying a retail version of a PC game mainly because of Steam. I know it has good bargains but I don't like my gaming hobby to be dependable of a bunch of servers or a stupid DRM. I like to have the package with the CD's and manual and play a game that I bought whenever I want and where I want.

Anyway, I found it new and cheap, and immediately bought it. My PC doesn't run it (hardware limitations), but it will remain sealed until I have a new PC so that I can play it. It looks like I have to start doing this for every game I like that comes out and I find cheap, because one day I doubt there will be a PC retail shelve on any store, or even retail versions of PC games at all.

My PC is from 2003 also. The Xbox 360 is at a great price now for $200 and the graphics are just as good as the PC. I went from PC gaming on my 19 inch computer monitor to the Xbox 360 gaming in HD on my 50 inch plasma HDTV. I also game with my feet up sitting in my recliner instead of sitting at a computer desk. The only thing that is missing from the 360 is mods and add on SP levels and playing with a mouse. But I like the 360 gamepad so much I have a wired one hooked up to my PC. I was a die hard PC gamer from 1990 to 2006.

I agree paying $60 for a game is too much. I waited until two weeks ago and bought The Force Unleashed for the 360 from Amazon.com for $14. Back in March I bought Wolfenstein for the 360 from Amazon.com for $15. Wolfenstein is made by Raven and it has the best SP campaign that I enjoyed since playing JO and JA.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sure that the PC will remain as a standard...for now the developers are taking huge kick backs and "considerations" from console makers but that will get boring eventually and not everyone wants to jump around like consoles require you to..players get older :) and so I am sure PC will remain with us and the developers will regain their sanity. Fads in platform have come and gone and PC remains.

I am sure that the PC will remain as a standard...for now the developers are taking huge kick backs and "considerations" from console makers but that will get boring eventually and not everyone wants to jump around like consoles require you to..players get older :) and so I am sure PC will remain with us and the developers will regain their sanity. Fads in platform have come and gone and PC remains.
That is your opinion and I respect it, but I'm going to disagree in regards to platforms.

Many gamers don't want to worry about upgrading their pc's over the course of years to keep playing games. Consoles don't have this problem. Buy game and play; that's it.

Age really doesn't affect computer vs pc sales in regards to gaming. I'm 29 and still get consoles and play them more often than the pc.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fads" in regards to consoles either. Sure there is popular consoles and 'console wars' but the same is true for computers. PC vs Mac is huge and has been going on for years.

I'll always have a soft spot for pc games with their modding abilities, when they have it, but consoles have just as great of games as the computer does.

Nope, but do we need it =]?

I'd rather JK's community be rebuilt.

A friend suggested to me something that helped JA's success was the poor copy protection. Thoughts?

I mean, if I could get my hands on such a unique game for its time, and the copy protection could easily be bypassed, I think I'd want it that much more.

I don't think we'd see that in a new JK game, and they'd try so hard to either be just like the previous installment(s) or they'd try too hard to be different and not live up to expectations.

I think I'd just like JA's modding community to be a bit more involved, and this is why I run a coding community to get people writing some nice full-fledged mods again =]

Not condoning bypassing it, just poking the subject

Well right now I'm playing Demon's Souls for PS3. It is not as fast paced or have the same near limit-less combo/attack patterns, but the sword play is much more measured and slower pace for strategy. Not saying that there is not strategy in JA, but DS makes it a priority.

Archived