Home

New Jedi Knight Game Rumors

Weirdbeard

I personally think kyle katarn should be the main character so you can play him.(Even though kyle is the main person of jedi)

I really did not like jaden korr or rosh.

But i personally think there are not making a new jk game because LC has a record of stop making sequels like what happend to tie fighter and SOTE.

But i hope it's not the case that there will no new jedi knights.

That would be hard, but not impossible. The main reason why they didn't have Kyle as the main character of Academy was for one simple reason. They couldn't think of any way that he could lose and regain his force powers over the course of the game. Since in Dark Forces he is just starting to learn them and in Outcast he gave them up in fear of turning to the darkside, though gets them back after saving Jan. But at the end of outcast there was no darkside ending and Kyle mearly killed Desann and kept on the path of the light. So they decided not to spend months researching a plot line that would fit into that and take the easy way out, mainly have a new character but keep Kyle as a major character.

I think it's unknown wether or not Lucasarts will continue Dark Forces or Jedi Knight. While its a good idea and they could very well restart the franchise and get very many more fans by creating a sequel. Many fans have already given up hope entirely and dedicated all of their energy into creating sequel-like mods (*cough* escape yavin four. Only decent one *cough*)

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The entire series revolve around Katarn, but there just isn't anything else that can be said about him. His part of the story is finished.

As for JK4, Doom 3 engine should do the trick, graphics wouldn't be my concern, but the story...I'd like to take control of Jaden who fell to the Dark Side after he took Ragnos' scepter, and to see new devastating powers the Force has to offer and to give fans a wider view into it's dark part... The death of an important character should mark the ending...dunno, just guessing...

The entire series revolve around Katarn, but there just isn't anything else that can be said about him. His part of the story is finished.

As for JK4, Doom 3 engine should do the trick, graphics wouldn't be my concern, but the story...I'd like to take control of Jaden who fell to the Dark Side after he took Ragnos' scepter, and to see new devastating powers the Force has to offer and to give fans a wider view into it's dark part... The death of an important character should mark the ending...dunno, just guessing...

What are talking about?Kyle's story is finished,I don't think he's dead yet,but I don't think Lucasarts doesn't plan on that for a while.You can't just say a main character is taken out for no reason.I'm mean he has alot of stories but i like those kind of charqacters with a big backround.

What are talking about?Kyle's story is finished,I don't think he's dead yet,but I don't think Lucasarts doesn't plan on that for a while. You can't just say a main character is taken out for no reason.I'm mean he has alot of stories but i like those kind of charqacters with a big backround.

Kyle's fate isn't just in the hands of LucasArts now. Lucas Licensing has that power now - and at the present moment (40 years after the films) Kyle is on the Jedi Council - he'll die at some point, but it probably wont be for for a while.

Kyle's fate isn't just in the hands of LucasArts now. Lucas Licensing has that power now - and at the present moment (40 years after the films) Kyle is on the Jedi Council - he'll die at some point, but it probably wont be for for a while.

Hopefully they won't kill him like they did Mara or Chewie. Both died due to horrible/cheesy writing. :(:swear::headbump

Mara/Chewie never died, they only died in that crappy set of fanfics known as the NJO.

Crappy fanfixcs that also happen to be part of the official Star Wars continuity.

And Mara didn't die during the New Jedi Order series.

A New JK game would be great and I respectfully disagree wtih a previous poster the Jedi story is NOT outdated or dumb, it has great depth and wondeful qualities. I will continue to hope that LucasArts comes back from the idiocy of the Lego game which are just plain a waste of time for anyone...and continue this great series with the great Quake Engine, one of the best ever developed and one that delivers a fine gameworld with reasonable demands on a reasonable system and which is eminently moddable. This was a much better direction than the KOTR series, it was good but not as good as the JK series.

A New JK game would be great and I respectfully disagree wtih a previous poster the Jedi story is NOT outdated or dumb, it has great depth and wondeful qualities. I will continue to hope that LucasArts comes back from the idiocy of the Lego game which are just plain a waste of time for anyone...and continue this great series with the great Quake Engine, one of the best ever developed and one that delivers a fine gameworld with reasonable demands on a reasonable system and which is eminently moddable. This was a much better direction than the KOTR series, it was good but not as good as the JK series.

Someone should definately email this to LucasArts. It embodies everything the hardcore Jedi Knight fan thinks of the series

Lets hope they wont use the Quake 3 engine in the next game. Lets hope they use Doom 3 Engine as a base and add JK3 elements to that

They should use the offset engine to make Jedi Knight 4:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/6400.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/8937.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22923.html

http://www.projectoffset.com/technology.php

Just kidding, the force unleashed engine would do pretty sweet for JK4, but they'd deffinatley have to improve the animations and swordplay.

I am looking to see if anyone knows of any rumors or facts about a new Jedi Knight game. Not about the storyline or what you hope it will or will not have. I'm looking to see if anyone knows anyone from Lucasarts that may have leaked something or anything of that nature. I want to know IF this game is actually going to happen. I've seen threads that have had similar comments but they always seem to become tainted with people's fantasies of the game play. For this thread I really dont care about detail of the game itself. I'm just looking for what people know about it coming out and why or why it may not come out.

It's so sad this thread has existed for 4 years and during this span there has been no new Jedi Knight game on the radar :( If I had the money, I would offer to pay the dev costs just to have a current-gen game with all the features everyone wants :xp:

It's so sad this thread has existed for 4 years and during this span there has been no new Jedi Knight game on the radar :( If I had the money, I would offer to pay the dev costs just to have a current-gen game with all the features everyone wants :xp:

As much as I'd love a new game, I can understand why LA would be reluctant to put the time and money into another one. Most of the aspects that made the Jedi Knight series unique have been or are probably going to be outdone by the newest Star Wars games. Force Unleashed is basically giving players the third person lightsaber and force wielding capabilities of the JK series but pushing them to the next level, something JO and JA didn't do. They already have a proven successful FPS series with Battlefront (Free Radical Design is supposedly developing the third in the series) and another Jedi-centric game with RPG elements in KotoR (which is supposed to have another one in development over at BioWare). The main appeal of Jedi Knight, at this point, is Kyle Katarn but continuing his story has a lot of problems since there isn't much left that can be done with the Empire and LA doesn't seem to want to touch the EU story lines (I can't blame them either).

Honestly, I think the series is dead sans fan efforts to recreate the original games and even those have a short-lived future if a new game doesn't come along to inject new life into the franchise (I should know. I've been on the development teams for all three mods - Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, and Mysteries of the Sith - and seen all three go up in smoke, in one form or another). The best I think we can hope for, at this point, is for some enterprising fans to band together, find an open source graphics engine, and develop a fan-made sequel themselves.

As much as I'd love a new game, I can understand why LA would be reluctant to put the time and money into another one. Most of the aspects that made the Jedi Knight series unique have been or are probably going to be outdone by the newest Star Wars games. Force Unleashed is basically giving players the third person lightsaber and force wielding capabilities of the JK series but pushing them to the next level, something JO and JA didn't do. They already have a proven successful FPS series with Battlefront (Free Radical Design is supposedly developing the third in the series) and another Jedi-centric game with RPG elements in KotoR (which is supposed to have another one in development over at BioWare). The main appeal of Jedi Knight, at this point, is Kyle Katarn but continuing his story has a lot of problems since there isn't much left that can be done with the Empire and LA doesn't seem to want to touch the EU story lines (I can't blame them either).

Honestly, I think the series is dead sans fan efforts to recreate the original games and even those have a short-lived future if a new game doesn't come along to inject new life into the franchise (I should know. I've been on the development teams for all three of the original titles - Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, and Mysteries of the Sith - and seen all three go up in smoke, in one form or another). The best I think we can hope for, at this point, is for some enterprising fans to band together, find an open source graphics engine, and develop a fan-made sequel themselves.

True...Force Unleashed does offer 3rd person saber and force combat on current gen systems. For me, the multiplayer modes of JO and JA are the most 'realistic' and fun saber combat games to date. One could argue it also helped to define the series. Force unleashed will only have multiplayer for the Wii, and as the name of the game suggests, will revolve around force powers and not saber combat. With this exclusion, it still leaves a void even though the Force Unleashed contains similar gameplay elements as the JK series.

I agree the EU shouldn't be touched but I personally believe there's more stories and adventures to be had with with the JK series and Kyle Katarn. I respect your views and it's refreshing to hear from someone who was involved with development, but also saddening to hear you believe the series is dead:(

Anyway, thanks for your work in the past; it's appreciated by many.

What made jk2 (PC version, mind you) so outstanding in my book was the lightsaber combat in sp - it's so immersive, after years of playing it I still have a blast each time I pit myself against NPCs. I haven't played any console version of it, but I can hardly imagine that the console controllers can give you as much control over the fight as keyboard/mouse do. And from what I can see in the trailers/teasers for the various versions of TFU or the new Clone Wars game, they're not going to stand up against jk2 either as far as swordplay is concerned. And as for the unleashed force - it's too over-the-top for my taste (reminds me of those Japanese action games which are overdoing special fx so much that you can't really see what's going on). In the movies, you never see the force overpowered like that, and I prefer it the way it's shown there.

What I'd like to see is a PC (!!!) game that has swordplay style and force powers similair to jk2, but with up-to-date graphics. Sadly, jk3 wasn't just that at its time, since somehow they managed to bungle the swordplay so thoroughly that it wasn't fun anymore (hit detection etc.), and the new force powers were also quite stupid IMO ('cept for Force Sense - which kinda made sense, in deed).

As for the story line, I wouldn't really care too much wether it would invlolve Kyle / Jaden or not, and in which time period it would play (though I rather tend to like prequel area stuff).

But I'm sure that's not going to happen. My hopes would be that Raven/LucasArts were to make the jksp sources open source, so that it could be ported to a newer engine, but that's not going to happen either. So I guess I'll just hang on to jk2sp like all the years before.

Now, if you'll excuse me... *launches jk2sp*

True...Force Unleashed does offer 3rd person saber and force combat on current gen systems. For me, the multiplayer modes of JO and JA are the most 'realistic' and fun saber combat games to date. One could argue it also helped to define the series. Force unleashed will only have multiplayer for the Wii, and as the name of the game suggests, will revolve around force powers and not saber combat. With this exclusion, it still leaves a void even though the Force Unleashed contains similar gameplay elements as the JK series.

I agree the EU shouldn't be touched but I personally believe there's more stories and adventures to be had with with the JK series and Kyle Katarn. I respect your views and it's refreshing to hear from someone who was involved with development, but also saddening to hear you believe the series is dead:(

Anyway, thanks for your work in the past; it's appreciated by many.

Just to clarify I've been involved with the development of the JKseries MODs for Jedi Academy, not with any of the official original versions of the game. Reading your post, it occurred to me that it might not have been clear.

As for gameplay with the Force Unleashed, it does look more Force-centric but I don't think we'll know for sure until it's actually released. But third-person saber combat is likely to be an integral part so, in that way, it is similar to what the JK series did.

Why not just base a Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy conversion using some assets from the New Era mod for Half-Life 2 when its released, creating some new models for characters like Kyle and various Jedi, etc., make some new maps, and then doing some scripting for cut scenes and stuff like that?

Why not just base a Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy conversion using some assets from the New Era mod for Half-Life 2 when its released, creating some new models for characters like Kyle and various Jedi, etc., make some new maps, and then doing some scripting for cut scenes and stuff like that?

Yeah. But the problem is modding the Source engine takes time. Especially if you wish to tackle such a huge project. Like you have to map out completely new saber combat and physically script the force into the game. It's hard and would take a long time

Archived