Home

Do you read comics? Anime discussion now included!

VampireNaomi

So, do you read comics and if yes, what titles and why do you like them?

In my country it's impossible to find a person who hasn't read Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse comics at one point of their life. I don't really like them as much as I used to (though I'll forever give the fantastic Italian artists a bow) but they're still entertaining, I guess.

Then there's W.I.T.H.C., the Italian comic about magical girls. The plot is cliché, the art borrows from Japan, but it's strangely addictive. I just wish the cartoon didn't suck so much.

Lately I've started growing interested in more mature western comics, so I think I'm going to start keeping an eye on stuff released by DC. Marvel isn't really my stuff, for some reason.

And now that I've ranted about myself, as usual, I'd really like to learn about your comic favourites. Perhaps we can recommend titles to each other.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to read more manga, but the series they're releasing here (Ranma ½, One Piece etc.) don't appeal to me. I want something more serious.

Hey Steve, I'd love to hear more about Belgian comics. What kind of series do you read? European comics are interesting.

I really dig 30 Days of Night a lot. I'm also really getting into Elk's Run.

I used to be a huge fan of Chaos Comics like Evil Ernie and Purgatori and Dead King, but they're not really around anymore, and I've kind of grown out of them.

Wel, the most popular in Belgium are (click on the name for a picture of the front of each comic):

Jommeke: The main character is a kid called "Jommeke". He gets in all kinds of crazy adventures with his friends and his pet parrot "Flip".

Suske & Wiske: Main characters are a boy and girl, their aunt, a real strong guy named "Jerom" and a guy names "Lambik". They also get in all kinds of crazy adventures, there's a professor in the stories that invented a time machine and they use it every once in a while :)

Urbanus: Main character is a Belgian comedian who made a fictional comic about his life. Really weird and fudged stories happen all the time!

Kiekeboe: It's a comic about a family of 4. For mature audiences from time to time but really fun to read.

The comics JofaGuht mentioned are completely new to me. That doesn't surprise me though, since I've grown to understand that JG does everything his way. :p

You know Steve, the covers of all those, especially the first, remind me strongly of Tintin. That's from Belgium too, right? Gosh, I love that comic.

Hey, Tintin! And there was me thinking I didn't read any comics... I used to read Tintin all the time :D.

You know Steve, the covers of all those, especially the first, remind me strongly of Tintin. That's from Belgium too, right? Gosh, I love that comic.

Yeah, the first comic cover you posted does look really similar to the Tintin style.

The comics JofaGuht mentioned are completely new to me. That doesn't surprise me though, since I've grown to understand that JG does everything his way. :p.

30 Days of Night is just currently growing to be more well known. I hear they're going to make a film. It's about vampires in Alaska during its month without sun. It was collected into a graphic novel which spawned two continuations: Dark Days and 30 Days of Night: Return to Barrow. Return to Barrow is my favorite.

Elk's Run is an 8-issue arc that's only in it's second issue, so it's barely known by anyone. It's very Stephen King-ish with a storyline I cannot sum up from what I've read. I just know it's really cool.

The Chaos! Comics were pretty big in the mid to late 90's, Lady Death being the most known character, who I wasn't as much into. I was obsessed with Evil Ernie and Purgatori though. In its later years, Chaos! Comics started going downhill into a "big tits and machine guns" sort of intellegence and stopped paying attention to strong characters and good storylines. In 2002 the company went bankrupt and people forgot about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think its often depends what you prefer more, anime or manga in generell.

But somethimes even this doesnt matter.

If I had read the Love Hina manga first, I would maybe like it more then the animated version.

Can we talk about anime too? ^_^

Sure, why not? We can compare anime and manga in the same thread.

Has anyone seen or read Gunslinger Girl? I've seen the anime, but haven't read any of the manga. The series was very good. It's about a bunch of girls with artificials bodies and their "mentors". The girls are trained in combat and weapons and used in fights against terrorists.

Archived