Home

Do you read comics? Anime discussion now included!

VampireNaomi

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^

Really? Wow, I hadn't heard that. Interesting. Thanks for the tidbit. :)

@ El Virus

Yeah, it is. He also is in s-CRY-ed, which is a little more generic but still pretty good.

Really, though, he's been in just about everything. His signature role is spike, though. Here's a listing of his other works. It's a pretty hefty list.

OT but Captain Skye you always have such cool avatars and signature pics.

thank you. most of my avatars are from FLCL or Bebop. ;)making an exception for my previous and current ones, being from the animatrix and now Killer 7 [/OT]

Okay, not only am I not a fan of Anime

Now that I come to think of it, I used to love anime, I spent all my younger days watching it; I don't know why I don't do so any more.

Another great show was Samurai X (that was the name in Spnaish), it's been a while since I last saw it.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the first four episodes of Samurai Champloo yesterday. What a great series, it got me hooked the first minute. I thought I'd hate the music because I have nothing good to say about hiphop, but surprisingly there wasn't a single moment when the music was annoying.

The characters were interesting and I got great enjoyment out of the little sexual jokes here and there. The violence was your usual stuff, but it kind of surprised me because it has been really long since I watched anything that wasn't a children's anime.

I watched it in Japanese but checked out the English dub to hear what Steven Blum sounded like. I wouldn't have recognised him if I hadn't known it was him. He sounded like he was 20 or something, and was completely different from what he was like in The Dig. What a great voice actor.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few years back I discovered a great series of comics called "War Picture Library." Very well-written stories, beautiful uncolored pen-and-ink drawings. They're a UK-based series and ran for a few decades. I've never seen them for sale around here. Pity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I read a few online comics as well.

http://www.pennyarcade.com - nerdy gamer humour

http://www.whiteninjacomics.com - wacky humour

http://www.alessonislearned.com - very arty, really creative stuff

http://www.qwantz.com - a funny comic about dinosaurs, they use the same panel everytime and just change the dialogue, it's hilarious

http://www.dieselsweeties.com - pixelated smutty romance involving robots

http://www.patheticinc.com - made entirely with pics taken from google image search

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I would like to mention some of my favourite comics too.

Some of them have been mentioned before but most of them not.

For starting I have to talk about some oldies. Comics like Herriman's Krazy Kat and McCay's Little Nemo following with Segar's Popeye and Schulz's Peanuts.

They have a mixture between humor and poetry that sometimes I miss it.

In this fashion I would like to mention the most recent Calvin & Hobbes by Bill Waterson and The Far side by Gary Larson. Chris Ware needs a category of its own - maybe blue and poetic - and among the funnier ones Mark O'hare's Citizen Dog.

I've never been a Heroes fan but certainly Will Eisner with his Spirit and Mike Mignola's Hellboy deserve to be in any list. The former showing what it can be done with a hero in seven pages - and that heroes can be funny too - and the latter demonstrating that there's another way for illustrating heroes, with plane colors, bolder lines and less details giving a really dark and less fancy atmosphere to them, revitalizing the horror gender.

From Europe, first I have to talk about Spain. Ibánez and his Mortadelo y Filemón comic, and the new guys like Manel Fontdevilla, Gallardo, Max and the not-so-news Carlos giménez, Daniel Torres - and his postmodern hero Roco Vargas - and Pellejero/Zentner's Dieter Lumpen adventures.

In France I have to mention Jacques Tardi's comics - mostly Adèle Blanc-Sec series. In Belgium, besides Hergé, I like the works of Ives Chaland - with his Freddy Lombard - and Franquin.

He's not really a comics ilustrator but I really love Ever Meulen illustrations - with his Escher style - and if anyone knows about a book with his work I would like to know about it. By the way he's dutch.

From the Underground verge I like The Fritz Cat by Robert Crumb and being on a Lucasarts forums I must recall Sam & Max by Steve Purcell.

Among Manga comics I would like to mention Dr. Slump by Akira Toriyama.

Finally being born over the River Plate I must to talk about people that have been working on argentinian magazines and papers on the last decades.

Argentinians like Quino and his Mafalda, Fontanarrosa and his gaucho Inodoro Pereyra, Carlos Trillo and Cacho Mandrafina, the uruguayans Tabaré and Alberto Breccia - with his argentinian son Enrique -, the italian Hugo Pratt - with Corto Maltese - and mostly all the people that used to work on Humor magazine - a kind of Mad magazine - against the militar dictatorship.

That's pretty much a very accurate list of my favourites.

• 2 months later...

I just finished reading Batman: The Long Halloween and it completely blew me away. At first glance I thought I'd hate the slightly caricatured art style, but now I find myself sad because all Batman comics aren't drawn like that.

The plot was very film noirish (loved the Godfather references in the first chaper) and intriguing. I don't want to spoil it to anyone, but someone starts killing members of the Falcone crime family once a month, every time on some special holiday. The mystery is built very well, I took several guesses at the murderer's identity, only to realise that I was wrong, then to realise that I was right and then wrong after all. The regular Rogue's Gallery was used well and I especially liked the appearances by The Joker and The Riddler.

To make a long story short, I recommend this to everyone, even those who don't normally like superhero comics. This one is more about the murder mystery and character development than action.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I'm really into comics, I started out with the first series of Metal Hurlant and advanced to Slow Death and other Last Gasp comics of the time.

My alltime favorite comic artist is Richard Corben, he really reinvented the use of the airpen (or whatever that thing is called). After reading almost all of his works a new stile distracted my attention, that of Mike Mignola, the creator of Hellboy and other strange characters in his paranormal/horror stories.

Then I saw the Tank Girl movie and I really wanted to see the comics of which the movie was partially based on.

Then there was the Warhammer series that didn't really impress me and simmilar comic type ABC Warriors.

After some more french comics as Lanfeust des Etoiles (the early series was called Lanfeust de Troy) Magazine, I finally discovered my (now) favorite comic series: Hellblazer.

Now I'm looking forward to reading the Army Of Darkness comics :D

• 8 months later...

Anyone here like Fullmetal Alchemist? It recently started in my country (both anime and manga), and I've now watched some five eps and read the first volume. It's not going to become my ultimate favourite or anything, but I think it's a refreshing change from the mediocre stuff that most of everything is.

I've also been introduced to a manga series called Emma, which is about a maid and and a man from an upper class falling in love. It takes place in Victorian England, so the two of them obviously face problems because of this. It's well drawn, the plot and characters are captivating and -- thank Heavens -- there are no chibis or hyperactive characters.

• 1 month later...

Hey, Over the last two months ive read 70 or so issues of spiderman, mainly carnage and venom etc. Very Very good , and now I sorta hate the films, check out anything by warren ellis. stuff like stormwatch, an xmenish group that is better than xmen imho.

Transmetropoliton, a futuristic scifi political journalist who is a *tad insane. warren ellis's work is very much adult-centered

Hellboy etc <-- FANTASTIC

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone read a manga called Monster by Naoki Urasawa? I picked up the first volume yesterday and four others today. I'm simply amazed at how brilliant it is, and the only thing I regret is that I didn't get more as the fifth volume ended with a cliffhanger.

Here are examples of the art and a basic plot description. Everyone who likes thrillers and suspense should definitely give this a try. Also, huge eyes, panty shots, chibis and other annoying manga clichés often seen in teenage manga don't appear a single time in this title.

Here I'm now watching a nice anime called Gankutsuou, it is based on the novel "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexander Dumas (but in a futuristic world). If you like the book, then you'll love this series.

As the design, it is a bit wierd. There is a strange use of patterns for backgrounds and characters, hard to explain in words. :/

• 4 weeks later...

Archived