Home

Do you read comics? Anime discussion now included!

VampireNaomi

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, well, just in case I'll post no spoilers. Lets just say that the manga has a MUCH different end then the anime, and I felt that the manga had more story to it. And better art. Just my opinion.

And watch me expertly tie this in with Grim Fandango: The woman who did Lola's voice in GF also did the voice of Kitsune in the dubbed version of Love Hina.

Ok Iam here again...

just skip the text, thanks ^^

What kind of Anime do you like Rubacava?

Yes I watched the whole Anime version of Love Hina..3 years ago or more, I cant say. ( well I was young then, let guess 18/19) It was my first contact with this kind of Anime especially with subtitles in english. I watched about 20 episodes in 2 days ^_^

And I loved it, really, I even watched the Xmas special and Love Hina Agian ( wasnt that good, but a bit more ecci then the first 24 / 25 ? episodes)

Well what Iam trying to say all the time, i couldt watch Love Hina again. It was great 2001 / 2002 but ... this kind of stories are so ..soo... everywhere now.

The manga ( that I borrowed from a friend ) was quite different, never "read" it to the end ( hey it was all japanese ?! try to read that! )

Love Hina was good, funny, about true love and just the perfekt mix. But for today, there are alot of better anime...

well...

I love Slam Dunk (Anime)... ^_^

Oh man, what kind of anime do I like? Lots... My favorite I think, is FLCL. So weird, so great. I cosplayed as Haruko for a convention I went to. I also love Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Evangelion, and... too many others for me to think of right now. Let's just say a lot. Oh! Excel Saga! Yes. Lots of manga too.

Why do everybody like FLCL? Read it alot of it in u.s. boards, and I cant figure it out. i I saw the first episode and well... nothibng happend to me.

Evangelion is surely great, and of course Bepop, Trigun is good too, but Excel Saga? ;)

WHY? i know alot of guys who lovin it, but for its just weird ( no offense =) )

And I watch stuff like Ping Pong Club and Slam Dunk ( well PPC is really weird lol, but funny)

Explain it to me, why FLCL and Excel Saga?

YOU coslpay? Do you want to marry me?

Well there were taken sure alot photos of your costume, right ? =)

I have to take my words back and admit that I was wrong. A girl at my school handed me some manga albums and told me to read them. Among were some issues of One Piece and, to my astonishment, I actually enjoyed them. It was hilarious and I had clearly judged the manga too early.

On the other hand, I got a headache from Time Stranger Kyoko. The art does nothing for me and the characters were unoriginal and forgettable. I felt like strangling that annoying cat chibi thing. And if there is one thing I can't stand about manga, it's that a perfectly serious plot is so often interrupted by the characters becoming chibis, remarking something humorous or doing something random. If the Japanese really think that's funny, then their sense of humour sucks.

Anyone else read TSK?

Yeah, I cosplay. Cosplay is awesome. I've cosplayed as Naru (Love Hina) Robin (Witch Hunter Robin) and Haruko (FLCL)

The reason I like FLCL and Excel Saga is because I like that really weird humor. Excel Saga just for the weird humor, and FLCL because if you watch it, there's actually more to it than just the wacky humor. So you can watch it just for that, or you can look a little deeper.

And yes, I got a TON of pictures of me taken when I was Haruko. Unfortunately, I lost my off-white undershirt after the first day, and didn't finish my boots in time, so my costume isn't quite right.

• 1 month later...

Okay, not only am I not a fan of Anime, but I do not watch television anymore. However, as I mentioned on another thread (only minutes ago), I am a big fan of an old series called Cowboy Bebop.

It dealt with a group of bounty hunters in the future. However, it has got a lot of "Film Noir" content, and goes through many deep themes. It is a rather pessimist show, specially considering the end, but together with GF, it was one of the things that had an amazing impact on my life.

Oh, and I have seen an episode of 'Get Backers', though I can't recall what it was about. The last anime show I caught a glimpse of was called 'Wolf's rain', and it was a pretty decent series.

As for comics, I adore MAD mag (if you consider it a comic); but I have also got hold of many of those vintage 'Pulp' magazines, and am starting to like them as well.

Do you know a series called Samurai Champloo or something like that? It's by the same people as Cowboy Bebop, and apparently it's almost as good. I don't know a thing about it, but the first eps just came out here so I may give it a try.

As for Cowboy Bebop, it's completely unfamiliar to me as well. However, what you just said about it makes it sound a lot more interesting than I thought.

I wish I could say something about MAD, but I think it was cancelled in my country. Sucks.

but I have also got hold of many of those vintage 'Pulp' magazines, and am starting to like them as well.

Oh man, I'd love to flick through one of those one day. Where did you get them from? Plus, they've surely got to be kinda pricey?

As for comics, I used to get alot of graphic novels out at the library, stuff like 2000AD, DC and Marvel comics, as well as a view others I can't remember. I preferred the graphic novels from the library, you had the whole series in one book, and because I didn't tend to read comics over and over, they didn't clutter up my room.

When I was alot younger, I used to read The Real Ghostbusters comics, as well as Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. Those were awesome, but sadly, long thrown away.

As for anime, I picked up Akira in the library, however, I can't remember if this was the whole series, one book, or an abridged version, or something weird. It was a long time ago!

Finally, with manga, I'm not a great fan, but a friend of mine loves the stuff and I borrowed a couple of movies off him. The first I watched was, funnily enough, Akira, followed by Kai Doh Maru (sp?) and Laputa. I found Kai Doh Maru to be a bit boring though. However, it was awesome to look at.

I haven't seen 'Samurai Champloon', but I've read about it in the internet.

If you ever get the chance to watch 'Cowboy Bebop', I suggest you to watch it. It is an incredible show which has gathered a big amount of fans all over the world; due to its great plot which deals with the characters rather than with the situations, and the subject of death. The music is absolutely fantastic, and some of the tracks are remarkably similar to GFs. I'm still trying to get the DVDs of the program...

cowboy_bebop01.jpg

@ Velasco, I cannot afford to buy the original ones, but there is a local comic book shop which has got some of them. They are worth the while.

Along with the pulp fiction stuff, old satirical magazines like 'Punch' would also be awesome to check out. I've seen loads of cartoons from Punch (they often appear as sources for history lessons), but I've never seen what a whole magazine looks like.

I love Bebop, with FLCL close in second. Shamploo I haven't seen much of (I recognised Spike's "voice", though). I can see how Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Shamploo would be brothers, though.

I don't read that many comics. Sure, I may go over some old DC batman comics once and a while, but for the most part I tend to avoid that genre all together. Not to say it's bad, it's just not my cup of tea at the moment.

Along with the pulp fiction stuff, old satirical magazines like 'Punch' would also be awesome to check out. I've seen loads of cartoons from Punch (they often appear as sources for history lessons), but I've never seen what a whole magazine looks like.

Same here, we use those cartoons at school as well.

You can find their archive here.

And, Captain Skye, I've heard that the actor that made Spike is the same who acts as the main character in 'Samurai Champloo'.

Archived