Home

Do you read comics? Anime discussion now included!

VampireNaomi

I enjoyed The Count of Monte Cristo, been meaning to read Three Musketeers. As far as anime goes, I only like Bebop, and to a lesser extent, Champloo. I'm a major comic book nerd and I could rant for hours against manga. Favorite comic book writer is a tossup between Garth Ennis and Alan Moore. Frank Miller's up there as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone here like Fullmetal Alchemist?

hells yeah! I don't normally watch anime, but that was the first and only series I've watched through so far. That show constantly was one step ahead of me when guessing what would happen next. I love it, and it's very moving to.

I'm planning to get to Cowboy Pepop after hearing that it actually just takes place in Earth's solar system and has a very good soundtrack. Does it have a lot of story arches though like FMA? FMA was great and all, but all those story arches and cliffhangers just kept leaving me stressed out!

Other than that, the first serious anime I watched was Ghost in the Shell II, the movie. I also watched speed racer and some voltron and DBZ when I could find it.

As for comics, I am a devote fan of Planetary, the Watchman, and the League of Extraordinary Gentilimen. I occasionally read y-the last man when i'm waiting for the bus, and global frequencey and transmopolitan. And to support the poorer comics, I'll occasionally buy one of the comics that looked as if it was printed and stapled at kinkos. They're pretty good thought.

(....a GF comic....if only we could combine the famed fan stories of VampireNaomi and the constant stream of fan art....hmmmmm.................)

• 3 weeks later...

Anime tends to be pretty damned dope. I especially love the works of Miyazaki and Takahata. I never read comic books when I was a kid but a few months ago I picked up the first trade paperback of 'The Sandman' and was blown away. Ever since then I've been collecting. I like anything by Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore and Frank Miller. I've been collecting mainly artsy Dark Horse comics, some Batman and Hellblazer.

P.S. Daniel Clowes is the man.

• 4 months later...

Anyone familiar with the French comic Iznogoud? I watched the cartoon as a kid but didn't read the comics for some reason until now. The title has quickly climbed to the top of my favourite comic book titles because it's so amazingly funny and far from repetitive, even though almost every story has the same basic plot.

It's going to be published again in the UK starting next March, but it looks like they're skipping over the earlier stories and starting right from "The Wicked Wiles of Iznogoud". Doesn't matter to me since I have the earlier stories in Finnish, but I hope they continue translating right to the end because I'm missing all the new ones.

Anyway, I find it interesting to compare the albums written by Goscinny and those Tabary did alone after the former's death. The most obvious difference if of course that Goscinny wrote short stories whereas Tabary's stories last an album each, but Tabary also has less puns and satire. On the other hand, his plots can get very odd every now and then, which makes for an interesting read. Even the new albums are pretty good, and the decline definitely isn't anything like what eventually happened to poor Asterix.

• 1 year later...

Archived