Home

Awwww

Amidala from Chop Shop

Well as I said I think it's fine too, but it's a reasonable suggestion. It *might* improve things, or it might not. It couldn't hurt to try it for awhile, that's all.

;)

I honestly have to check out the new control panel yet, so I don't know how easy it would be with the new setup, but it theoretically wouldn't be any more difficult (and it wasn't difficult to begin with I just was lazy and forgot).

I fail to see the logic in it though. The problem isn't the order of the forums, it's that not many people care for jedi academy, or the like, anymore.

I don't think that was the point at all. She wanted us to move the Tech Support and other "help" related forums up higher in the list, since Yoda's Swamp and the general forums are so popular nobody will be lost if they are moved down the page. But people looking for help will be more likely to notice those forums they come to looking for stuff, so fewer misplaced threads, etc.

The goal wasn't to magically increase visitors to the site, just to point newbies in the right direction more often. Right?

I don't think it'll help.

Most of these newbies who sign up just to post their problem see the "Jedi Academy" forum and think "gee, I'll post there!" I guess you could move the Help Center section up so it's above the Community section... if it doesn't help you can always change it back.

What inspired this was seeing increasing activity at forums.filefront.com at the same time activity was decreasing here. That would not be a function of the game's popularity. Seriously, that forum was dead for the longest time, and now it's quite busy.

Most of the questions there are tech support questions about the game and running a server. There are also a lot of questions about modding (although pcgamemods.com/forum has more). They have relatively few categories. For example, the Jedi Academy section is

Jedi Academy General Discussion

Discuss the Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Clan Forums

Looking for a clanmatch? Looking for clan members? Wanna join a clan? This is the place to be!

Rants & Raves

Yay! Get it off your chest here? Just keep it non-vulgar and related to Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy please!

Modding & Editing

More info about a Mod? Making a Mod? Looking for Modders? Right here!

Problems, Errors, Help & Others

JK3 not working? Need Help? Post all your problems here!

Off-topic forum

Come here to discuss topics not covered by our other forums.

Jedi Academy Reloaded

Post bug reports, suggestion ideas, or leave commentary on Jedi Academy Reloaded here.

Web site is at http://jamod.jk3files.com.

So it's pretty easy to figure out where to post.

This forum puts the tech support and server section at the bottom of a much longer list of categories, and I think people just overlook it. I also think some of the less active categories such as the JK2 modding categories could be consolidated, and Showcase should be moved to the top of the modding section.

How about something like this:

Game Discussion

Jedi Academy

Jedi Outcast

Jedi Knight/MotS

Dark Forces

Tech Support

Game problems and errors

Running servers and mods

(consolidate Strategy Shack into Game Discussion, since the questions are usually specific to a game)

Skinning, Mapping, Modeling, Modding

Showcase Forum

Make requests here!

General Editing

Skinning

Mapping

Modeling

Coding

Community

Yoda's Swamp

Clans Forum

Senate Chambers

Roleplaying

Hosted Forums

Feedback

And I don't think the Swamp-lovers will have any problem finding the Swamp.

I think it sounds like a good idea, and whilst we're on the subject, I have a suggestion of my own...

I think the Hosted Forums should all be visible on the main page, as they once were. The forum re-design prior to this latest one meant that we all got pushed into another sub category, and now, to get to a hosted forum means entering a clicking marathon. I run the Dark Forces Mod forum, and as a result, we ended up losing a lot of "passing trade" - and therefore, interest in our mod.

I don't think it would do any harm to move us all back onto the main page once again. Just a suggestion, but it would be great if it could happen :)

If you go here http://forums.filefront.com/forumdisplay.php?f=528 and here http://www.pcgamemods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2 you will see there is a lot of interest in various types of modding on other boards.

The whole point of consolidating and making it more user-friendly is to bring some of that activity back here.

If you go here http://forums.filefront.com/forumdisplay.php?f=528 and here http://www.pcgamemods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2 you will see there is a lot of interest in various types of modding on other boards.

The whole point of consolidating and making it more user-friendly is to bring some of that activity back here.

Right, but like I said, we had huge amounts of people coming back in the day. People just moved on, either to other forums or just in general, away from the game.

I fail to see how this will change anything, The Dark Forces forum is up at the top, yet I don't go there even though I like Dark Forces.

Archived