Home

decisions :)

Rumor

Which game?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which game?

Ok, seeing as I need a diversion from counter strike (scrimming and stuff with my team) I decided to pick jk2 back up, and buy me a server (ff/so duels most likely, but with the option to use other gametypes). Well I encountered a dilemma, do I want to put up a jk2 server with all its goodness, or to put up a JK3 server.

just wanna poll you guys to see what you think.

some info:

• i will make a site/forums to go with it

• basejk2/ja until i have a special mod made for it

• it will be full force/saber only 99% of the time, no powers disabled, ala the old sf, s~, g//, /<tcz servers from back in the day.

• no rules, aside from no dropping and a few others.

:holosid:

Well personally you have a history with jk2 and its a game that you are more familiar with and will have more fun playing. However, jk2 is an old game and does not have quite the same number of players that it used to. jk3 is a crappier game than jk2 but it has more people, thus more potential for scrims and such. I personally do not know what jk3 looks like at this point but my guess is that more people play jk3 than jk2.

Most of the noobs that you used to see running around in jk2 have now upgraded to jk3 on mommy's credit card, so the average player in jk2 nowadays is more skilled than the average jk3 player. The competition in jk2 is great even though there are an extremely limited number of servers still.

If you go with http://www.escapedturkey.com, not only will you pay only $25 a month for a 26-player server with no limit on sv_maxrate, but you can install ANY or ALL of the following games, and switch between them anytime and as often as you like with a Web-based control panel:

Battlefield 2

Battlefield 1942

Battlefield Vietnam

Call of Duty

Call of Duty: United Offensive

Counter-Strike

Counter-Strike: Source

Doom 3

Doom 3 ROE

Half-Life

Half-Life 2: MP

Jedi Knight 2 (1.04)

Jedi Academy

Medal of Honor Allied Assault

Quake 2

Quake 3 Arena

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

RTCW: Enemy Territory

Soldier of Fortune 2

Unreal Tournament

Unreal Tournament 2k4

As to JK2 or JA for full-Force duels, there are actually quite of few people doing FF dueling in JA, but unfortunately most of it is on g_forceregentime 0 gripkick-spam-fest JA+ servers.

Setup your server for JA and get RazorAce (or me) to hook you up with the latest OJP Basic.

Do not, under any circumstances support JA+ in any way shape or form!

Honestly we don't need many more dueling/sabers only servers (though having it non-honorz and non-JA+ would be a nice addition).

The only thing you'll be missing is the flip kicks. ;)

Setup your server for JA and get RazorAce (or me) to hook you up with the latest OJP Basic.

Do not, under any circumstances support JA+ in any way shape or form!

Honestly we don't need many more dueling/sabers only servers (though having it non-honorz and non-JA+ would be a nice addition).

The only thing you'll be missing is the flip kicks. ;)

uh kurg, have you had an aneurism? (yes i suck at spelling after a 12 hour shift, sue me :p)

i would never run any mod such as that.

Yeah, I've spent too much time screaming at the honorz/whiner community, busted a few veins I think. :(

Also I would accuse Ami of shilling ET in order to get their referrer discount, but she's quit hosting (I'm sure I'll be forgiven for this attempt at humor).

Escaped Turkey IS good, however they have one thing of annoyance, and that's that their servers shut down (and get really laggy a few minutes before) 4:15 am CST. And after they shut down they STAY DOWN for 90 minutes unless you restart them manually.

Likewise if they crash, they stay down until you restart them manually or until 4:15 am CST (whichever comes first).

I know this isn't necessarily how everyone does it because JediServers had them automatically restart in a few minutes if it ever crashed. Maybe that's why they went out of business? Who knows. Anyway, if you can put up with the above, they're good and seem to be reasonably priced. We've gotten a lot of mileage out of the server they gave us so far, and that's about the only complaint I have.

Another good point... Do not, for the love of all that's good, use forceregentime below 200! That's ruined a lot of games, that practice of setting it low. ;P

I've already made my stance known to Rumor, thought I'd share it here.

I, personally, am leaning more towards JKII. I still think JA needs some work, even with OJP added into it (that and I need to find my discs... Where the hell did they go). Certain things in between the transition of the two games just got royally ****ed up. I'd rather have a level playing field with JKII than have to deal with the bull**** randomness of JA. LucasArts wasn't clearly thinking of saber balance when he implemented dual/dual-bladed sabers in. Not to mention that I have never been a fan of the netcode nor the faulty hit detection.

JKII has always been a stable choice in both gameplay and networking. Not to mention that the past few times I've popped in JKII, I've seen some skilled mofos playing that I'd like to butt heads with. So it would have to be my first choice.

Maybe when I find my JA discs I'll try out the latest from OJP. MBII wasn't that bad of a mod either.

Escaped Turkey IS good, however they have one thing of annoyance, and that's that their servers shut down (and get really laggy a few minutes before) 4:15 am CST. And after they shut down they STAY DOWN for 90 minutes unless you restart them manually.

Likewise if they crash, they stay down until you restart them manually or until 4:15 am CST (whichever comes first).

Not true.

The auto-shutdown and restart every 24 hours is strongly recommended but it can be disabled if desired. It turns out that the JA Linux dedicated server has a memory leak. The longer it runs without a restart (or crash and restart) the more memory the server uses. It runs out of the physical memory available to it and it starts using more virtual memory, which increases disk access and CPU usage. CPU usage keeps increasing until after a few days CPU-induced lag becomes unbearable.

I actually first discovered this when most of my servers were with JediServers.com. After a few days of continuous running (basejka) at some points pings would shoot up and everyone would become frozen. They could chat but couldn't\didn't move (much like what you see normally on most JA+ FFA servers [lots of chatting but no moving, but I digress]). I would have to restart the server to fix it. I figured it out by watching CPU usage on the one escapedturkey.com server I had, and they analyzed the cause.

You don't have to restart your JA server every 24 hours, but it prevents the total-server lag from occuring. The restart time can be set to occur at any time using the Web control panel, or it can be disabled if you want and enjoy lag. I believe there is a script that broadcasts to the players on the server that the server will be shutting down and restarting. As far as I know, the JK2 Linux dedicated server doesn't have the same problem.

Also, the servers are scripted to restart 15 minutes after a routine crash (not 4:15 AM).

OJP doesn't have flipkicks, and flipkicks are necessary for the type of server Rumor told me he wants to run (full-Force saber-only Duel and TFFA).

The latest (last) versions of xmod2 have improved saber-tracing and hit-detection.

If mediablitz wasn't banned he would also vote for JK2 over JA for the same reasons Rad stated.

Not true.

The auto-shutdown and restart every 24 hours is strongly recommended but it can be disabled if desired. It turns out that the JA Linux dedicated server has a memory leak. The longer it runs without a restart (or crash and restart) the more memory the server uses. It runs out of the physical memory available to it and it starts using more virtual memory, which increases disk access and CPU usage. CPU usage keeps increasing until after a few days CPU-induced lag becomes unbearable.

I'm not sure you're quite understanding what I was saying.

I am not saying that you should never restart your server, or that auto restarts are bad. Rather an EC server, at least OUR server (a 26 man server) restarts at 4:15am CST and is down for 90 minutes. Then it starts back up again on its own. If you reboot it manually it comes back in 1-2 minutes. I know that JA Linux is loopy and crashes. But if it crashes it doesn't come back (at least that I've seen) unless you do so manually, or wait for the 4:15am reboot. Prior to the time it goes down there's numerous automatic server warnings (from the script) "restart in 3 minutes, etc".

When I say 4:15am I'm going by my computer clock. It's not an atomic clock so it may be a few minutes fast, but the point is, it has a regular down cycle every morning, not just a reboot (which would only take 2 minutes).

I actually first discovered this when most of my servers were with JediServers.com. After a few days of continuous running (basejka) at some points pings would shoot up and everyone would become frozen. They could chat but couldn't\didn't move (much like what you see normally on most JA+ FFA servers [lots of chatting but no moving, but I digress]). I would have to restart the server to fix it. I figured it out by watching CPU usage on the one escapedturkey.com server I had, and they analyzed the cause.

I know JS had auto-restart in a couple of minutes of a crash. I don't recall if they had a forced restart every 24 hours (I'm thinking you'd remember if they did or not, since you had a server longer than the 3 months I had one with them). Anyway, my point is, why can't they auto-restart their server right way, why do they have to wait 1 1/2 hours? Maybe there's a good reason for that, I don't know.

You don't have to restart your JA server every 24 hours, but it prevents the total-server lag from occuring. The restart time can be set to occur at any time using the Web control panel, or it can be disabled if you want and enjoy lag.

I got the impression this wasn't something we could modify but I'll check into the files and see if I can find this script (hey, maybe you can help me out in that regard if you like). All I would change is the down time from 90 minutes to 2 minutes like any other restart.

I believe there is a script that broadcasts to the players on the server that the server will be shutting down and restarting. As far as I know, the JK2 Linux dedicated server doesn't have the same problem.

Yeah I know about the server messages (just not where the script is located that sends them).

Also, the servers are scripted to restart 15 minutes after a routine crash (not 4:15 AM).

I don't think the server "routinely crashes" every morning at 4:15am. I've rebooted it in the middle of the day and it still "goes down" at the same time every morning. I had all kinds of theories like perhaps EC does some routine system backup at that time or perhaps it's to save money, or maybe they calculated that this time of day is a period of high inactivity or something. Who knows. Whatever the reason it goes down like clockwork, regardless of what has happened during the day, that I've seen. Maybe our server is atypical, I can only speak from my vantage point.

OJP doesn't have flipkicks, and flipkicks are necessary for the type of server Rumor told me he wants to run (full-Force saber-only Duel and TFFA).

True, and I mentioned this. If he wants JK2 style play, the best way to do that would be to play JK2. But he asked for people's opinions, so here's I gave my 2 cents. Bugs or changes aside, I feel JA is the superior game.

The latest (last) versions of xmod2 have improved saber-tracing and hit-detection.

And unfortunately also abusive commands thrown (back) in, but I'm sure these guys aren't the type to use them anyway, so no problem there.

Xmod2 seems to be a huge improvement in some areas, though I question the wisdom of making everything customizable (damage values of weapons and such) because it then makes mastering the game virtually impossible or pointless (since it's always different). Then again, with so few xmod2 servers this may not be such a problem. Those who use it will settle on to a pattern and regulars can enjoy those settings.

If mediablitz wasn't banned he would also vote for JK2 over JA for the same reasons Rad stated.

Yeah I'm sure all the FK clan guys and their close friends would vote for JK2 if they were here, since they clearly felt JK2 was the superior game. ;)

Maybe when I find my JA discs I'll try out the latest from OJP. MBII wasn't that bad of a mod either.

You should find yourself a new set of discs off ebay or LA.com or Amazon, and try 'em out. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. You might even want to try the Enhanced OJP package since that's come a long way since it first started, though it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I'm not sure you're quite understanding what I was saying.

No, I understood you.

If you look at the config file in Usermin that you use to launch your game and mod

################
# Jedi Academy #
################

server_exec="linuxjampded"
game_directory="ja"
server_mod_directory="base"
server_port="29070"
rcon_password="yourpassword"
server_log_name="games.log"
server_vm=""
server_dedicated="2"
server_ip="YOUR SERVER'S IP ADDRESS"
server_com_hunkmegs="64"
server_sv_maxclients="24"
server_logfile="2"
server_sv_pure="0"
# server_sv_punkbuster="1"
server_config1="server.cfg"
server_config2=""
[b]restart_time="0400"[/b]
username="yourusername" 

See the line restart_time="0400"? That sets the time on a 24-hour system U.S. Central Time that the server will shutdown and restart. 0400 (4AM Central Time) is the default value. You can set it to 0300 or 0500 or 2300 or whatever if you want it to happen at a different time. If you put a # in front of the line or set the value at "" (blank) the auto-shutdown is deactivated. If you prefer to manually shutdown and restart your server at different times, then deactivate the auto-shutdown-restart. But if you forget to do that for a few days and your server hasn't crashed, everyone will have 999 pings at some point.

The server is scripted to restart 15 minutes after a routine crash. The 15 minute value was selected to keep a misconfigured server from continually crashing and restarting every few minutes, which can affect the other servers running on the same box. If it doesn't restart within 15 minutes, then it wasn't a routine crash. JediServers.com was the same but less than 15 minutes, but I often had to manually restart my jediservers.com servers manually because the auto-restart didn't work, usually because there was a problem with the server configuration.

Thanks Amidala, but that still doesn't answer my question.. why does the server tell me it will be back in 90 MINUTES (not seconds, minutes) and stay down longer than 15 minutes without a manual restart?

The next time it happens I'll get a stopwatch, but I think something is screwy here if what you say is accurate for all servers on EC.

All I want is for the server to come back faster than it's doing now, not reboot at a different time of day/night.

I think the scripting for the every-24 hour shutdown and restart doesn't restart the server in 15 minutes because that's when another script compresses and archives the server's log. I haven't timed it because I wasn't usually around when it happened. You can ask Escaped Turkey how long it is scripted for, and if it can be shortened if you think it's too long. Or, you can just disable it and remember to reboot your server manually every day or two, which is what JediServers.com recommended as they didn't offer the daily routine auto-reboot scripting.

But the server should restart (if it can) 15 minutes after a (non-scheduled) crash. If it doesn't it's a problem that requires a manual restart.

Archived