Home

multi player online

*Cerasi*

If you have a firewall or router you need to tell the firewall to allow the jamp.exe program to connect to the Internet. You might need to open or forward ports 29060-29062 and 29070-29081 through your router if you can't see any servers.

Just start the multiplayer game, click Play -> Join a Game. You will see a server browser window. Make sure Source is set to Internet, Game: All, Type: N/A, View Empty: Yes, View Full: Yes, Data Rate: LAN/Cable (if you have a DSL or cable broadband connection).

You will see categories: Server Name, Map Name, Plyrs (Players), Type, Ping. Clicking on the category name will sort the servers according to that category. The most important categories are Ping and Plyrs.

Ping measures the time it takes for information packets to travel between you and the server. You want Ping to be as low as possible to minimize "lag". Most knowledgeable players sort servers by Ping and play on the servers with the lowest ping.

You can also sort servers by Plyrs to find the busiest servers and then pick the busiest server with the lowest ping.

Many "newbies" don't know about sorting servers by Ping or Plyrs. They leave the list sorted alphabetically, which is why so many servers are named "...........": they are trying to be at the "top of the list" alphabetically :rolleyes:

Type tells you what type of game the server is running: Duel, Capture the Flag, Siege, etc. Read the manual to learn the official rules of those games.

However, in Jedi Academy almost every "FFA" (Free For All) server is not playing according to the official rules. They have "converted" (some would say "perverted" is more like it) the "Free For All" gametype into something else: chatting, playacting, and dueling parlors with all kinds of extra rules and rituals. Many of them are run by cruel, sadistic, unfair, abusive "admins" who will "punish" you and call you names ("lamer") if you break or simply don't know about their unwritten, unofficial "rules" and rituals. Some people have even been "punished" because the "admin" didn't like the name that the player was using! Some might tell you "well, then just find another server, there are plenty of others", but most "FFA" servers are run the same way, so your chance of finding a good one is very low and looking for the rare exception is a waste of time.

I strongly recommend that you avoid "FFA" servers entirely, or at least join as a "Spectator" (click "Spectate" instead of "Join Game" after you enter the server) to check it out and see if that's how you want to spend (waste) your time.

Capture The Flag, Siege, and Duel (and most Team Free for All) servers play the "normal" way according to the ofiicial rules, so you are generally safe there.

Also, download ForceMod III http://www.lucasfiles.com/?s=&action=file&id=658 and its 1.01 patch http://www.lucasfiles.com/?s=&action=file&id=876 for Windows, http://www.lucasfiles.com/?s=&action=file&id=877 for Mac for a really cool expansion of the game with multiple "classes" (you can play as a Droideka or Gungan or Mandalorian bounty hunter complete with jetpack) and the Movie Battles II mod http://www.moviebattles.com for an expansion of the Siege gametype. If you ignore my advice and go to "FFA" servers anyway, the JA+ client plug-in http://www.lucasfiles.com/?s=&action=file&id=1053 is nice to have.

Good luck, you'll need it!

If you're looking to avoid "honor" servers (ie: ones that make up lots of rules about who you can and cannot kill, when and with what move, etc) and just want to play the game "unrestricted" (ie: the way it was intended) please feel free to join "Meatgrinder." You can play FFA without worry about being harassed or banned just for playing and having fun.

Add the server IP you see in my signature below to your favorites:

You can click on that link and see the server status anytime. It's great fun and we'd love to have you!

http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/server_status.shtml

More advice: Never whine or accuse people of cheating, even if they seem unbeatable. Ask them how they did this or that, they may be happy to teach you to be better. Visit my Strategy page (also in my signature below) for tips on getting more familiar and better at the game. You should learn a lot!

PS: If you see something called "JA+" turn and run! ;)

I had a problem, i enter in the server but some seconds later my JA quits and it appears the console window (the one that opens when you start the game) and it puts something like, couldn't find requested item or something like that :S, anyway ill try today too

You shouldn't have any problems joining my server. What mods do you have installed?

It could be you have too many mods in your /base/ folder and one or more of them is conflicting and causing it to disconnect.

You're using 1.01 I assume and no cd cracks right?

What's your connection speed? The server is (I believe) located in Texas and quite fast for most people.

If something is "missing" maybe you'll need to reinstall JA. However if you can join other servers then I'm guessing it's a conflicting mod you've got.

Im at Spain so my ping is around 240..anyway the message is "Requested feature was omitted at compile time", i didnt have time to play today so i'll try tomorrow, ill remove some items from my /base folder aswell. (I've been playing a game called Sacred..so addictive ^^). I've found a guy in other forums which has the same problems aparently caused because of a saber (http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?t=209934), so it may be a goblin-pk3. And of course im using the original game xD!

Thanks guys! all the info i have is great! I am going to try some of these things out!:whtsmile:

But one more question...What is protocol 25? When i try to go into most of the exhisting rooms it says that "this server is useibng protocol 25"

If it is a patch...can you tell me where to find it and if it isn't can you tell me how to fix it!

Thanks for all you're help it is so awsome! :lurkblast

• 2 months later...

Hello. I'm brand new to all this online gaming lark. Like the original poster I've been playing this game for years now and would love give the online side of things a shot but haven't a clue where to start. Good to find all this advice is provided here, especially about the FFA servers.

The one thing that's intimidated me about trying this is that I always seem to run into aggresive users online. If it's okay I wouldn't mind giving the "Meatgrinder" server a try as it sounds like a friendly place to get started.

We don't care, feel free to join Meatgrinder (link in my sig!) anytime. We won't "frown" on you, but don't expect us not to try to score on you, hehehe. ;)

Meatgrinder is NOT the place for people who are afraid of getting killed in the game. My advice: don't worry, it's good training!

Best to play the "real" game before you get confused by all the "honorz" servers out there with their restrictive rules...

Archived