Home

Avatar/Sig Pic Request/Discussion Thread (Read First Post)

RevanA4

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could someone make me an avatar using this pic: http://media.teamxbox.com/dailyposts/Sev.jpg ?

Only, could you change the red pattern to gold and the gray armor to a darker gray, close to black, but make sure the commando still shows up well against the background. Also, cut down a little on the background and scale it down to an avatar size, like mine is now.

Thanks.

Thanks ChAiNz, for helping me out.

How does this new avatar look? Too bland, or is it alright?

:thumbsup:

If you want to reduce the hard beveled edges (nothing wrong with them however).. re-activate the "black background button" layer in the source psd and just fill the black with your preferred color. It should retain the soft bevel...

However I think it looks just fine the way it is ;)

I especially like the background effects you placed behind the emblem.. it gives it a nice 3-D effect :D

That was the idea. Unfortunately, I don't use Photoshop, so I don't know what you're talking about - I used MS Paint to add the effects. Time consuming, yes - but just as effective.

MS Paint or Paint.NET?

I wasn't aware that MS Paint had layer options (shows how up to date I am.. hehehe)... or are you physically going in-between the emblem with your effect and simulating the 3-D effect? If so, damn man.. you did a helluva job :D

If you think you can use a different layered file format (probably .tiff) I might be able to convert the master psd to that format. However not sure if my effects settings would transfer over to MS Paint...

Anywho, enough of me rambling... like I said, the effects you have right now look great as is, and as long as you're happy with it, who cares what my senile brain thinks :xp:

Soft beveling (or pillow emboss/effect) is just something I've used for so long it's embedded in my brain. Harder edges actually work much better on a forum for avatars as the lines translate with less aliasing... something beneficial for users no matter what browser they are using. And that's a good thing with higher def monitors (computers) as opposed to crappy analog TV res which is my usual medium I work with... :)

MS Paint or Paint.NET?

MS Paint.

I wasn't aware that MS Paint had layer options (shows how up to date I am.. hehehe)... or are you physically going in-between the emblem with your effect and simulating the 3-D effect? If so, damn man.. you did a helluva job :D

It doesn't have layer options, no. It takes a long time to get decent results... It took me about three and a half hours total to get the button effect right on the bottom and left hand edges - the top and right were fairly easy, as it's all one colour. Then all I needed to do was disable Draw Opaque and drop the image you so kindly edited for me into it, and voila. The blue glowing things are actually an old image file I had kicking around that inspired me to make the personalized sig tag I have, and then the matching avatar.

If you think you can use a different layered file format (probably .tiff) I might be able to convert the master psd to that format. However not sure if my effects settings would transfer over to MS Paint...

MS Paint can open an image no matter what kinds of effects it's had placed on it - it simply can't distinguish between layers, etc. I don't think there'd be a problem opening the file with Paint.

Soft beveling (or pillow effect) is just something I've used for so long it's embedded in my brain. Harder edges actually work much better on a forum for avatars as the lines translate with less aliasing... something beneficial for users no matter what browser they are using. And that's a good thing with higher def monitors (computers) as opposed to TV which is my usual medium I work with... :)

Well, if it works better on a forum, then I'll leave it as it is. I don't know if I would be able to do it in Paint anyway, so...

Check out this sig that Scorch made for me at Delta Squad.

ninersig2wc.png

He's made a lot of great sigs there. I'll stick to the one that I have now for awhile though.

Remember the sig rules we have here... that one is too large in several ways. 10 pixels too tall and 28.95 KB too large in size. ;) -RH

EDIT: Thanks, RH. So I just can't use this sig at LF, right?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could I perhaps get a sig pic of the Master Chief from Halo 2? Just kind of a mix of pictures, like these for example (in case you don't know what I'm talking about; I just googled these): Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3... Or any others of course, I'm just looking for those kind of pics - scaled down into a sig pic. Perhaps kind of grayed out, if that's possible? Unless they look good the way they are. Thanks to anyone who would try to do this.

Archived