Home

Read any good books lately?

Gabez

I'm interested in reading A Song of Ice and Fire as well, but at the moment I have enough books on my shelf that are not yet read.

Currently I'm reading The Infernal City: An Elder Scrolls Novel by Greg Keyes. As the title implies, it's based in the Elder Scrolls universe, and if I were to give any advice, I'd say don't read it. It's pretty bad. Sloppy editing, silly premises that make me think the writer didn't even play Oblivion or other games in the series, and for a book based on a video game series, it has disappointingly little action or tension. Before I started reading it I planned on getting the second book in the series as well, but unless that's somehow a tremendous improvement over this one, I'm going to steer clear of it.

Fortunately I'm also "reading" an audiobook that is actually good, to prevent my brain from turning to mush. It's Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. It's an absolutely massive book, but the characters are great. I love how Anna and the other female characters (but mostly Anna) are portrayed not as stereotypes but as multidimensional characters with their own internal struggles. And although it's obviously an English translation, still Tolstoy's mastery of prose shines through.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'm not usually a multitasker, I've recently been juggling several reading projects: I'm right in the middle of the Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy (which I've had on my bookshelf for 10 years and never read until now); I like Timothy Zahn's writing style a lot. He really knows how to make you hate characters: Mara Jade is a stone cold total bitch, and Thrawn is an infuriatingly evil bastard who always knows exactly what the rebels are doing. I hope he dies.

Simultaneously, I'm also reading Iron Coffins by Herbert A. Werner, one of the penultimate books ever written on WWII German U-boats. This excellent book is nearly impossible to put down, especially interspersed with viewings of Das Boot; I just got the Director's Cut on Blu-Ray to supplement the original 5-hour uncut version that I got last summer, plus I also ordered the novel. And finally, today I received four vintage issues of Life Magazine from September 1939, when the war broke out in Europe. All of this reading, by the way, is in conjunction with the ongoing research for my FOA novelization (plug!). :thmbup1:

Archived