Home

Hyperspace routes - good or bad idea?

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

Having heard recently that to get your fleets around the galaxy, there will be 'Hyperspace routes' between planets. It seems that these will be a key tactical feature in the game.

Do you think this is a good idea? Or should they be looking at something like in Rebellion/Supremacy, where you could drag your fleet to any part of the galaxy?

DMUK

Hmm. I think instead a hyperspace route should give a huge speed bonus. Such as it would take a day or two for a fleet to arrive to it's destination traveling via hyperspace lane, but if a fleet traveld to a planet that had no hyperspace lane connecting the fleet's jumpoff point to it's destination, it would take a week or more for it to arrive since the route is uncharted. This would be useful if the Rebels wanted to attack Coruscant, but didn't have the amount of resources to capture the other planets that are connected to Coruscant by hyperspace lanes. The downside is that the Imperials could find about the incoming fleet, and could muster forces to defend the city planet.

Hmm. I think instead a hyperspace route should give a huge speed bonus. Such as it would take a day or two for a fleet to arrive to it's destination traveling via hyperspace lane, but if a fleet traveld to a planet that had no hyperspace lane connecting the fleet's jumpoff point to it's destination, it would take a week or more for it to arrive since the route is uncharted. This would be useful if the Rebels wanted to attack Coruscant, but didn't have the amount of resources to capture the other planets that are connected to Coruscant by hyperspace lanes. The downside is that the Imperials could find about the incoming fleet, and could muster forces to defend the city planet.

I thought that is how they said it would work and that the number of trade routes are also a factor in how many resources a planet generates.

Hyperspace lanes will add a new level of tactics that a game like this proberly needs. If you could just go to any planet from any planet it will make the game too easy as you could go for all the desent planets first. It will also make defence far more interesting as you will want to hold hyperspace "junctions".

That simply means you can't maneouvre freely, doesn it?

I've said it before, I'm saying it again: Deep space, free movement trough it, lots of planets in addition to the movie ones, and randomly generated landscapes for the planetary battles. Play Stars! for a taste of what it's like.

But that would mean you can't build a base on the planets, seeing all building will take place out of combat.

Hyperspace Lanes have always existed in Star Wars though. In KotoR II, one of the characters goes over the hyperspace routes in his mind, granted its not for any real specific reason but they still exist. It does add an element to the game, but at the same time it has me worried. To defeat the Rebellion becomes easier since they'll have fewer worlds and the like all the Imperial player has to do is cut off a world and then build up forces for a rush.

Except that they're also less likely to be noticed if they take the unknown routes.

Like many have said, they should offer a speed bonus, that way you're not cut off if they block 3 key planets and prepare for a rush.

I also wonder if you should be able to lay ambushes for merchants and stuff to get emergency resources when you need it.

Archived