Home

Star Wars RPG idea/question

IndianaSolo

With KOTOR III speculation popping up all the time, I was curious how KOTOR fans (and any RPG or SW fans for that matter) felt about a possible Star Wars RPG that didn't revolve around the Jedi or the Sith.

Basically, the protagonist would be a non Force sensitive (smuggler, soldier, gambler, bounty hunter, whatever) and would face off against enemies who also were not Force sensitive (criminal organization, or just plain military such as Storm trooper, Grand Moffs, etc.). In other words, think KOTOR series but without Force powers.

It can be set at any time, but with the popularity of Episode III, maybe sometime during this 20 year period between RotS and ANH.

The specific details are moot, but the main question I have is would you readily play a game in which there was no "magic" (ie. the Force), or is your entire enjoyment of the KOTOR series the fact you can play a powerful Jedi?

The specific details are moot, but the main question I have is would you readily play a game in which there was no "magic" (ie. the Force), or is your entire enjoyment of the KOTOR series the fact you can play a powerful Jedi?

Personally, I would play it. I enjoyed Taris in k1 using a blaster and I think they could make a whole game without a lightsaber. But I know they won't because most people will only play games where you get to be a Jedi.

Though, I admit, I do love being a powerful force-user... ;)

hey dude Oh by the way want to start a contest?

What are you talking about? :confused:

Personally, I would play it. I enjoyed Taris in k1 using a blaster and I think they could make a whole game without a lightsaber. But I know they won't because most people will only play games where you get to be a Jedi.

Yeh. I know it's more of a pipe dream than anything, since I doubt Lucasarts would make a story-focussed game about Star Wars that didn't include Force powers, Jedi, lightsabers and Sith/Dark Jedi.

I, too, enjoyed the Taris level. I liked being a non-Jedi and having to play the game with just blasters and vibroblades. It's just too bad Lucasarts feels the majority of gamers who would buy a SW RPG don't agree (even though they might).

Actually, believe it or not, I was thinking the same thing throughout playthroughs of both games. It would be neat I think, especially if it was based in the KOTOR world, because then you would have to rely on some of those weapons and powerups that I never really got into, if only because they felt kind of..obsolete. Its a good way to balance a group, I think thats a real neat idea, I would totally play that game.

Taris was one of the finest moments in KOTOR 1, I also enjoyed it very much :)

Perhaps such a game would be interesting with the use of blasters and the like, but I still like the conflict between Jedi and Sith more, don't know if a bounty hunter/smuggler scenario could beat this ^^

True, the Jedi/Sith conflict is very interesting, but I think star wars has always done a good job of showing that, and KOTOR really builds on that, making the world seem more realistic. My only problem would be that you wouldnt be quite as much of a badass. I did always kind of wish though, that you had more choice in KOTOR about whether or not you even wanted to be a jedi in the first place. It would have been neat to me if you didnt neccesarily have to do so.

i dont like it when there are a bunch of jedi running around all over the place, like in K1 and the Prequel movies. i like it better when there are very few jedi left and the world doesnt really revolve around them. like in the Original Trilogy the world was based on smugglers, bounty hunters, soldiers both imperial and rebel, but there was still luke and obi wan. so while i would like a game where there are less jedi, i would still like there to be some jedi involvment, to a limited extent, especially for a kotor style rpg, because i think vibroblades look dumb, you dont ever see melee weapon in the movies except for lightsabers (and in epIII those things grevious's bodyguards use). i think the only non-jedi games i would like would be games like republic commando. but thats just me.

i dont like it when there are a bunch of jedi running around all over the place, like in K1 and the Prequel movies. i like it better when there are very few jedi left and the world doesnt really revolve around them. like in the Original Trilogy the world was based on smugglers, bounty hunters, soldiers both imperial and rebel, but there was still luke and obi wan. so while i would like a game where there are less jedi, i would still like there to be some jedi involvment, to a limited extent, especially for a kotor style rpg, because i think vibroblades look dumb, you dont ever see melee weapon in the movies except for lightsabers (and in epIII those things grevious's bodyguards use). i think the only non-jedi games i would like would be games like republic commando. but thats just me.

I totally agree with you on everything but the last line. I mean, I think it is kind of neat to show a time when the Jedi order was in it's proper place, but when you play one of those star wars games that is set in a time when nearly NO jedi were left, thats neat because you think "HOT DAMN I KICK ASS" But I do really enjoy the fact that developers are kind of branching out and making Star wars games that revolve around the other things people do in the galaxy. Like, as you mentioned, Republic Commando.

But I do really enjoy the fact that developers are kind of branching out and making Star wars games that revolve around the other things people do in the galaxy. Like, as you mentioned, Republic Commando.

Unfortunately, they haven't branched out into the cRPG genre yet.

I have to say I would love a game where there are no jedi. Just running around kidnapping and kill and mugging every one who can't run and some who can. To bad guns went out of fashion.

I wasn't necessarily talking about a GTA style game where you can kill anyone and everyone you want.

I was thinking in the same mold of the KOTOR series, except without Jedi/Sith/Force sensitives being the focal point.

I don't see why that couldn't work. I heard that Star Wars Bounty Hunter was a pretty good game.

I think that in the hands of the right people and with the proper backing, that a non Jedi themed star wars game could be very good.

Hell, I STILL play star wars monopoly on my computer!

you dont ever see melee weapon in the movies except for lightsabers (and in epIII those things grevious's bodyguards use).

Not true. Obi-Wan used a javelin in EP II on Geonosis. The piggies in EP VI had axes, Lando had an axe while he was posing as a guard, and Leia had a quarterstaff/blaster while she was posing as a bounty hunter. Several points in the movies, guns are even used as makeshift weapons. There's even quite a bit of unarmed combat. ;)

I too, would like a non-lightsaber-and-force type SW rpg. It'd be nice having to rely on something other than them for a change.

lol, they should let you CHOOSE if you want to be a jedi, in KOTOR 1 it was "do you want to be a jedi?" and you could basicly say "yes" or "[lie]yes" :S either way you were made a jedi. and it KOTOR2, you were a jedi right away with no choice at all

If you mean that we need more Republic affiliation, then I agree. I mean, it's really dumb hearing all the time:

"You are a Jedi now."

"You are a part of the Jedi Order."

I want to be a Republic soldier and a Jedi. I don't want complete Jedi! I want to wear a heavy exoskeleton suit; and shoot with a blaster and fight with a light saber while Force Waveing my enemies all at the same time.

Archived