Home

Debate Bioware Vs. Obsidian, who makes KOTOR 3? If you could decide.

Darth Havok

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hehe, sometimes i wonder given all the stuff that i do to it. at any rate, my machine is in top condition, and considering that i've never had a memory leak with any other game i highly doubt the problem was due to my hardware.

and although Bioware did address the problem it did take them three patches to do it. not to mention that i've never had a similar problem with TSL.

I'm going to agree with stingerhs on this. I had the same problem and the third patch didn't even fix it.

Never had it with TSL. It was virtually bug free.

Thing is Bioware had about 5-6 months to complete the PC version and when it came out it was a real bugfest. But people forget about such things.

I like both developpers. I love Bioware's KotOR and Obsidian's KotOR II:TSL equally.

However, I'm going to have to go with OE, for practical reasons. OE already left TSL open-ended meaning that they wanted to do something else or had something in mind (or else, we wouldn't have missed all those cool "endings" that were cut).

That's why I vote for them.

It would be if George Lucas wrote The Empire Strikes Back but decided not to have anything to do with Return of the Jedi and leave the story to someone else with no implication from him.

Hi to all, just thought of giving out my opinion on this and this is: BIOWARE!! Fair and square. It is one thing making a game and quite another to just enhance and polish it. Bioware did an extremely good job of it first time out and Obsidian just did not screw up (which is not an easy thing to do mind you and all credit to them for it, because I've seen sequels to screw up big time). But, my guess is Bioware should have been given the chance to improve on their creation by awarding to them the sequel, too. I would love to find out what could they have come up with...., the only way of finding that out is ... give them the third sequel!!!!

Bioware definatly had the beter rounded storyline, thought the game play from Obsidian was beter (though I agree that Bioware would have come up with something similar).

Obsidian have only releases oe patch to my knowledge, thought I never got or heard as many weird glitches in KOTOR I as TSL, If you read the obsidian forums there was a thread on these glithes including someone who had a whole army of Bao-Dors and they just kept multiplying.

So Bioware would get my vote mainly on beter storyline.

As I recall out of the box my KOTOR 1 (PC version) failed to get past the fighter game at the end of Taris until I managed to get the 1.03 patch. KOTOR II worked out of the box clear to the end. If Bioware was willing, they could do a very solid release for Kotor 3, but they have been saying on their boards that they are currently very committed to their own Intellectual properties, such as Jade Empire and Dragon Age. They have basicly said they have no interst in doing another Starwars game for the forseeable future.

I liked several of the new features added to Kotor 2 such as the weapon switching and the new jedi robes. I also enjoyed the story, though I did believe the last 1/3 could have used 2 or 3 months more developement. I suspect it would have been a better game if the February release date had been kept rather than rushing it to get a Christmas release. So realisticly Obisidian is the only real option of the two.

BioWare all the way. But I don't think they would do it; too busy with Dragon Age.

BioWare is without any doubt one of the best RPG-making company out there. Bringing DnD to the PC the way they did is no small feat. While NeverWinter was slightly inferior to Baldur's Gate I and II, I still think they're on the right track. Dragon Age looks especially great.

Obsidian/Black Isle's games were never as good as BioWare's, in my opinion. And I was quite disappointed with TSL myself.

Obsidian/Black Isle's games were never as good as BioWare's, in my opinion. And I was quite disappointed with TSL myself.

You just said BG was better than NWN. :rolleyes:

BTW, I agree with that statement (that BG is better). But in the long run Bioware is a better developer.

I would like to see Bioware make the game but that doesnt seem likely. Bioware would have given us a finished game they would have never tried to do more than they could handle in the time given to them. But that doesnt really matter because it seems Bioware is going to be focused on its own IPs for the next few years.

I would like to see Bioware make the game but that doesnt seem likely. Bioware would have given us a finished game they would have never tried to do more than they could handle in the time given to them. But that doesnt really matter because it seems Bioware is going to be focused on its own IPs for the next few years.

Well, KotOR I was a bit rushed in the later parts (starforge).

But it's nothing like TSL, where they even "forgot" to remove the map pings of the cut areas, and the lack of any kind of ending.

Anyway, it's more LA's fault. They might have decided at the last minute that they wanted the game out sooner, and Obsidian didn't have time to finish things up. However, I do remember reading an interview last summer with an Obsidian employee saying that the game was basically finished, and that they were testing stuff. We will probably never know what truly happened.

Of course they had absolutely no excuse for not fixing the map pings and bugs such as with force speed and force aura for the PC version which came about a month later.

BIOWARE dosent make great RPGs good but not great now all Obsidian did was add to biowares stuff,so bioware could make a desent 3rd game thier frist string games soemtimes leave out alot of things and thier updates leave alot to be diserd.

Hmm... Let's see, Bioware has made Jade Empire, NeverWinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, and KotOR... Wouldn't you consider any of these great RPGs? Because I consider all of them great.

Hmm... Let's see, Bioware has made Jade Empire, NeverWinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, and KotOR... Wouldn't you consider any of these great RPGs? Because I consider all of them great.

Jade Empire (good), Neverwinter Nights (good), Baldur's Gate (great), and KoTOR (great).

I'd say they're 50/50 on great games. Jade Empire was much too short, too little party interaction, and much too linear after you reach the Lotus Assassin stronghold. Neverwinter Nights had the same plot as KOTOR, but KOTOR did it much better. It was much too linear, and there was zero party interaction.

Neverwinter Nights had the same plot as KOTOR, but KOTOR did it much better. It was much too linear, and there was zero party interaction.

actually, KotOR had the same plot as NWN as it was the first out ;) and you thought NWN was linear??? :eyeraise: There's not a single main quest in the game that has to be done before another one is required..

and though there wasn't much, there was Party interaction, along with sidequests for each NPC depending on which one you chose as your "hired hand"... they were able to make bigger better weapons when you found certain items.. plus each had their own backstory you could unlock with enough conversation...and it even included the romance element (ahh.. my lovely Aribeth, or Linu, or both :naughty: hehehe)...

though granted, KotOR did a much better job upon improving those elements since Bioware pretty much proved it could be done with NWN...

I must respectly give NWN a "great" score along with a "great" for KotOR and an "absolutely stunningly fantastic" score for Baldur's Gate I/II :D

actually, KotOR had the same plot as NWN as it was the first out ;) and you thought NWN was linear??? :eyeraise: There's not a single main quest in the game that has to be done before another one is required..

My mistake. I didn't really make my post clear enough. About my two points:

1-I didn't mean to imply NWN copied KOTOR's story, because I know it was out first. I simply meant that NWN's version didn't seem very well fleshed out, whereas KOTOR took the story and fleshed it out deeply, thus I thought NWN's version of the story (althought it was out first) was "good" and KOTOR's version of the story was "great".

2-It's been a while, so I probably got it confused. But for some reason NWN's quests and open endedness didn't seem on par with true open ended stories like BG, FO or the like. And since it's story wasn't as deep as KOTOR's, IMO it was a "tweener". It wasn't completely open ended ala FO or BG, but it wasn't a cinematic masterpiece like KOTOR, thus my "good" rating for it.

Jade Empire (good), Neverwinter Nights (good), Baldur's Gate (great), and KoTOR (great).

I'd say they're 50/50 on great games. Jade Empire was much too short, too little party interaction, and much too linear after you reach the Lotus Assassin stronghold.

Jade Empire was a great game I'm sure we all would agree that make it a bit longer would have been nicer but it was still great. The reason why the game was much more linear than any of their previous titles is because they wanted the story to be the main focus of the game. They allowed some deviation(i'm almost 100% sure I spelled that wrong) from the story at certain parts because the characters are still searching for leads anywhere they can find them. After that however it takes a more commonsense approach. You wouldnt run back to town to find some old ladies lost dog when you are 3 steps away from killing the main bad guy.

Also Jade empire had one of the best stories I've ever seen in a game and a much better plot twist than KOTOR1(the plot twist in KOTOR was extremly obvious, the one in JE made my head explode out of suprise).

Archived