Home

Building everything from scratch?

starmark2k

I was just wondering how everyone would feel about making Weapons from scratch. By this i mean in a similar way how you built your lightsaber in K2. I know nearly all te weapons were upgradeable how about getting the raw components tothe weapons and building new ones. This would open up the kind of ranged and melee weapons you could get. This would work as when you breakdown a weapon instead of getting general "Components" you would get the specific parts of a weapon. like a bowcaster hilt, mandalorian assult lens, etc. You could make some powerful hybrid weapons with this.

They could just make it an option. You could build custom weapons with the workbench, but you could buy weapons normally if you don't want to build them.

I agree with Jedi Watchman, but to be more specific they could have something like this:

You can only buy normal weapons from merchants and corporations.

You get components when you kill people and raid everywhere.

Of course, there would have to be more workbenches or they would have to let you make it right on the spot once you have all your components.

I like just being able to build upgrades, and even then I only like it a little. My issue with it is that in K2 I was able to break down crappy items and build really nice upgrades to sell for a sizable sum. A little over half way through the game I had hundreds of thousands of credits and there really wasn't anything out that there I coudn't buy outright (cept a silver lightsaber crystal!!!!), which eleminated my need to take on quests that would result in me getting more items and kinda took the despiration out of needing money and the fun in obtaining it.

Unlike in K1 when I had about 3k credits through out most of the game. Though your idea is good and is very tempting (who wouldn't want a awsome blaster/disruptor rifle by the second planet?), I think the way they have it right now is pretty much where it needs to be.

I like the idea. I don't see how it'll be overly complicated or anything. It's not like you won't get regular blasters or regular anything. It's taking a blaster rifle and adding a bowcaster part for example.

yes thats what i ment but in an odd way, for example you can make a weapon with a bowcaster hilt and trigger, a mandalorian rikles "barrel" and the sightt of a bothan weapon, basiccally only having the weapons good bits.

I just saw the new forum name and i'm shoocked... why?

Who stole my idea for naming this forum. i gave the name a week ago and they stole it, do i get any credit, no , now i'm not one for complaining but... wheres my money.

oh proof you need proof check the last post here http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=150562

Who stole my idea for naming this forum. i gave the name a week ago and they stole it, do i get any credit, no , now i'm not one for complaining but... wheres my money.

oh proof you need proof check the last post here http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=150562

Suing is always fun.

lol that's too funny! I never saw your post there and that 's exactly the two names that came up :p

I liked the upgrade system in TSL but as Prime mentionned, you end up with too much stuff. I always ended up using a very small portion of what I collected during the game. In any event, I prefer them to invest more on the storyline than on adding tons of new goodies. I don't quite see the point in having an item upgrade system more complex than TSL.

I kind of wish you didn't get so many items on defeated opponents and containers. You just end up with so much stuff at the end of the game...

Just sell it or break it down, I have always found that to be the best way of getting rid of junk in TSL. In K1 however, you are stuck with a lot of usless items like data pads. . .

Just sell it or break it down, I have always found that to be the best way of getting rid of junk in TSL. In K1 however, you are stuck with a lot of usless items like data pads. . .
I understand that, but it just seems like there is just too much stuff available from searching bodies, etc. Just my opinion...

I understand that, but it just seems like there is just too much stuff available from searching bodies, etc. Just my opinion...

Maybe there's too many bodies? I guess that's what happens when you run around killing everyone!

I kinda agree, early on you need a lot of stuff but by midway through the game it's annoying to pick up you 100th blaster pistol/rifle. I always thought that you would be getting fewer yet higher quality items late in the game. Maybe that's what they should update?

Maybe there's too many bodies? I guess that's what happens when you run around killing everyone!

I kinda agree, early on you need a lot of stuff but by midway through the game it's annoying to pick up you 100th blaster pistol/rifle. I always thought that you would be getting fewer yet higher quality items late in the game.

Unfortunately, for those who haven't played much in the way of an PnP RPG before, this is actually a game rule by defeating an opponent or searching an area that stuff you find is actually considered "treasure". Taking a fallen opponent's or a rotted corpses stuff is classic 'delver' RPG-ing. ;)

Yes in a computer game these rules can get a little distracting, because you move through the game far faster than you would in a PnP game, but that 100th blaster pistol/rifle is still part of your PC party's "booty" and you can then sell it for money... it is an old school RPG feature still present in the game.

As you progress in levels, you will find rarer 'magical/special' items yes, but you will still find a ton of normal stuff, some you can take to sell as "treasure", or you might have to leave some if the game has weight and encumberance rules especially, if there are no encumberance or weight rules then you definately take everything not nailed down! :D

^I never thought about a weight system....

Maybe there should be the ability to have weight/building things from scratch mode so the people who want it can have it, and a k1/2 mode so folks who don't have time to spend five hours on a couch learning a new system so that everyone is happy.

^^^^

Encumberance rules never really work out on computer games... that is mainly a PnP RPG thing, and even playing PnP style that rule is tossed out the window with your groups first 'Bag of Holding'. ;)

I thought the rule did pretty well with Baldur's Gate, but I guess I haven't seen any other games use it. Still, I would like to see that rule in the next kotor.

I think all that is really required is an option to pick up individual items, instead of having to take the entire "treasure chest." Then you could just take the rare item you want, and you won't have to take the 100 blasters. Yet, those who wish to do so still can...

Archived