Home

What's Shaking fellas?

Thrawn

Back to the what's shaking; I'm alive, kicking and busy trying to become an Aerospace engineering MSc. Interesting topic I'm dealing with btw: sling loads under a AH-47 Chinook helicopter. :shads2:

<Begin Rant>

There is no such thing as an AH-47. Perhaps you meant CH-47.

There is a reason for the designations CH and AH and the only thing they have in common is H.

<End Rant>

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hence why they have nothing in common but the letter H.

H=Helicopter

A=Attack(Or some other fear inspiring A word)

C=Cargo

U=Utility

C is Transport. The more logical T is used for Trainer.

The only ones I've ever seen used are UH, CH, AH, SH (anti-submarine) and HH (search and rescue)

Helos can also be, in theory, TH (trainer helicopter), EH (special electonics), LH (cold weather), MH (missile carrier), PH (patrol), QH (drone), RH (recon), and WH (weather recon).

As far as I can tell, only four US aircraft have deviated from the scheme: the SR-71, the U-2, B-70's other designation RS-70, and the FB-111. The SR-71 is the only SR ever used. It was originally Recon Strike (like the RS-70), but after its strike capacity was deleted they just flipped the letters to make it "Strategic Recon." And that's ignoring its A-11 and A-12 designations. The U-2 is not a utility aicraft. When the F-111 was modified to act in the strategic attack role, the "B" modified mission symbol should have been placed before the "F," not after. The correct designation would then be the BF-111, not FB-111.

You can even get into crazy stuff with the actual numbering scheme and the mystery of what the YF-112 through YF-116 are and where they are. Rumor has it they are the MiG and Su aircraft the US "acquired" over the decades. And how if they didn't break their own rules, we'd be talking about the F-113 Eagle instead of the F-15.

I've always been fond of the Navy's ship scheme. Its just so complicated, like CVAN. CV=Multi-purpose Aircraft Carrier, A=Attack (meaning it has a sonar array), N=Nuclear. They don't use the A any more though, so now they're just CVN. And the differences between the LHA, LHD, LPD, and LPH are so minute I've not even sure what they are and why they picked what letters they did. In case you wanted to know, a barge is a YC.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Er..excuse me , is this the XWA.net reunion party?

let me see... hmm..Gunner, Thrawn, Cmdr. Cracken, Keyan Farlander, Rogue Nine, edlib, Nute Gunray, Nitro, Gold leader, Jabba The Hunt, Ike..

yeap, that must be it ! ;)

Hello Stallions, Merry Christmas to all of you !!! :)

everything is ok here in Athens, the only problem is that I work long hours and I haven´t been able to get in the celebreting mood... yet !

I´m trying to teach Jason ,my 2,5 years old son, about the birth of our Lord, but he seems more inerested in Santa Clause ! :)

Thank God for that child ! no matter in what mood I return home, a single smile and a hug from him is enough to cheer me up !

How are you doing mates ?

Archived