Home

Monkey Island 5: Return To Monkey Island

Elliott Hird

I am announcing a possible release of Monkey Island 5, titled "Return To Monkey Island". I do not work for LucasArts, and I don't know whether I will buy/lend the rights to Monkey Island, or even make it FOR LucasArts. This idea is in very early stages of development and if you could give ideas, your support and whatever else it would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try imdb or VoiceChasers.

Can you tell something about the engine? Would you license it? Would it be 2D or 3D?

I think asking fans for story ideas is a bad idea (EMI seemed a lot like fan fiction and sucked), but you can browse the forum and find out what we liked and disliked about previous Monkey Islands.

Do you have experience with game development?

I'm really not sure; my programming skills probably aren't up to it anyway, but that's not a problem - I can hire coders. The engine name is decided though: GLUE. Good idea for lisencing it out... (it may even be free & open source! (maybe :p)). I'll ask fans, but not too much. It will be 3d, but point & click (yeah... imagine that). I have no release date or even permission from LucasArts... if you can help, just contact me, It'd be appreciated.

I don't think you'll get anybody particularly enthusiastic about this until you've got something done, and can prove that you know what you're doing. There have probably been roughly 10,000 fan created Monkey Island games announced over the years which have done little more than have a long thread devoted to them with fans frantically posting what they want.

I said it was a fan created game, and that is exactly what it is at present. Until you have a deal with LucasArts that grants you the rights to what is probably their most successful adventure intellectual property and are employing a team of programmers and artists, this is no more a "proper" game than any existing Monkey Island fan game.

Simply announcing what you want to do and getting everybody excited is a completely different ball game to actually doing it, and you'll find it difficult to win people's support until you've acted upon at least some of the things you claim that you will.

Well, I'm looking forward to it. If Elliott's promising us a Monkey Island 5, then that's exactly what I expect to see. I would like it if Guybrush could transform into a dog. That is my idea.

Dog? Now that is a scene where you DON'T ask fans :p. Hey, thanks for spelling my name right, only one to do it yet... add my msn! sargetron@hotmail.com

Fan game? Read it again. I'm going to get the rights/permission to use the rights, and commercially publish this game, an (un?)official sequel.

What exactly makes you feel so confident that LucasArts will give/loan/sell you the rights. True, there not exactly doing much with it, but if they were to sell it off, they'd have done so by now, and probably to some huge development company who could actually afford to buy the rights (they'll be worth a lot).

Archived