Home

Monkey Island 5: Return To Monkey Island

Elliott Hird

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what did you mean? And why are you avoiding my questions? (Third time, where's the money coming from?)

I wasn't referring to you saying I wasn't stupid. Heh.

Where's the money coming from? I like being broke. or something.

Well sounds very unlikey

Don't post here then. (or something.)

This post is so wonderful............Neil Joshi the supercool voice of reason gets more than a little worked up, by our new friend Elliott, who is surely going to reveal himself as a long gone former Lucasforums member, returning with a successful windup!! :)

If you are serious Elliott.........please do make an adventure game.......nothing to do with Monkey Island though.....nothing 3D.......just a basic adventure game.......use something like AGS (Adventure Game Studio), and make it short - a 10-15 screen game......just to see if you can design and complete it in good time. Personally (and from experience) I reckon it'll take you about a year just to get a 3-4 screen demo together.........then you'll realise it's actually going to take you another 10 years to finish it.....and that's not 3D, and nothing up to the standards of any of the Monkey Island series.....

......and unless you're going to hire premises, interview and hire your team and pay them weekly, you'll probably be making your game alone.....either that or you'll have some like minded internet souls who drift in and out of the games design, and as there's no incentive (ie no pay, and no light at the end of the tunnell), they'll probably be somewhat unreliable.

........now if you'd said:-

"I have little game development experience, but would like to try my hand at making a simple, and short Monkey Island 1/2 style game"........everyone would probably take you seriously.........even that eternal sceptic (and cheeky bugger) Joshi!!

.......anyway cool post!! :)

This post is so wonderful............Neil Joshi the supercool voice of reason gets more than a little worked up, by our new friend Elliott, who is surely going to reveal himself as a long gone former Lucasforums member, returning with a successful windup!! :)

Oh, I'm not worked up, just curious.

You guys shouldn't knock Elliot. He's pioneering a fantastic new excuse scheme which I have put into practice myself today, following his lead.

Boss: We need someone to design a new template.

Me: I will design your template, and furthermore, I will paint the building in gold leaf with a single haired brush held between my toes.

Boss: I disbelieve you.

Me: And for that, I retract my offer.

Try it yourselves. Cover your incompetence with grandiose lies and trickery. Elliot, I salute you.

You guys are actually making me give up o.o

....if you can't handle our criticism then you've failed the first hurdle Elliott........don't you think Lucasarts are going to be a lot harder on you when you approach them for permission? Don't you think the most talented artists and programmers are going to want some guarantees about the direction of the project?

I've told you, sit down and make a short demo yourself, in 2D using something like AGS.........if you can handle that.......and it's good, then perhaps we're all wrong and you'd make a great project leader.

.......otherwise it's a bit like saying you don't know a great deal about cars, but you're going to get permission from Lamborghini to make exact Countach replicas in your back garden!!! :)

No.

Scummbuddy, you really think I don't have a copy of AGS over here? I don't use it because it sucks. Experience. Given up? No. You are trying to make me give up.

........AGS sucks? So you're programming skills are better than using AGS then Elliott? Well you're laughing then....................but I thought your programming wasn't that hot??

If you're programming isn't up to scratch, you're going to need AGS, or another game construction tool to put your ideas into a demo. Either that or you'll need the full game design, including concept art, dialogue etc. No programmer or artist worth their salt is going to touch your project if all you've got is a couple of pages of incomplete scrawled ideas. I did some game design for a local company when I was 14 as part of my work experience, and stayed on for a while afterwards, and was even paid for a couple of designs which weren't used. Mostly though you put your hard effort into designing a game on paper, and even the smallest companies won't entertain the idea unless the design is absolutely comprehensive in every detail OR you have a good working demo to show them.......something they can get a feel for, and get excited about.

.....nobody here is trying to put you off your project, just inject some reality. You need to show everyone some hard evidence that you've worked hard on this idea, and not just plucked it out of your head one afternoon.....

...........I've worked on about 5-6 game projects in the past 15 years, and only one was ever completed, that was back in 1990, and quite rubbish, although strangely it was ALMOST published on the cover tape of Crash ZX Spectrum magazine back in 1990!! But that's a long story!

..........so come on Elliott........links to some of your work please!! If this is your first project......sharing a few sketches and pages of design won't hurt you............come on!! :)

.....nobody here is trying to put you off your project, just inject some reality. You need to show everyone some hard evidence that you've worked hard on this idea, and not just plucked it out of your head one afternoon.....

Hey, I only thought of this 1-3 days ago!

This probably isn't the thread for you then.

This probably isn't the thread for you then.

Well yes, you're right......I guess it isn't. But until you actually produce something, be it a business plan, a full design, a demo or indeed anything solid, this thread is pointless for all concerned...............but damn funny!! :)

Seriously Elliott, if you feel your idea is THAT good, stop talking the talk and start walking the walk. Do ONE of the following things within the next month or so, and I'm sure everyone will apologise:-

1) Produce a business plan, detailing how you're going to fund the project, hire staff, premises, equipment. Pay for licensing etc

2) If you're not paying your staff.......and are working over the internet with a team you've never met, explain to us how you're going to motivate them to work for you in a hardworking and timely fashion

3) Altenatively produce a game design, with scripting an dialogue, good enough for a 5-6 screen demo. Include concept art, sketches etc

4) Produce some graphics or code that would be used in the final game

Most of us have had these fantastic ideas to continue the Monkey Island series, but they tend to fizzle out after a couple of weeks, when we realise we're either out of ideas, or struggling to get the technical resources together to take it further. If you do get past this stage and get as far as a full design or simple demo........THAT is the point you tell the world about your fabulous idea..........

.........come on Elliott walk the walk!! :)

Given up? No. You are trying to make me give up.

Personally, I'm not trying to make you give up, but you came here looking for people to help you with this thing and without some kind of game plan (kindly pointed out by my collegue Roy, thank you Roy :D) I doubt you're gonna get many people helping you. I'm asking you annoying and awkward questions so I know that you're not just someover-eager fanboy with more time than sense so that I may actually consider helping you out with this.

So far though, you haven't given me any straight answers to my questions and haven't convinced anyone that this plan would go anywhere. Not too good on your part Elliot.

On the other hand, if you were to go into LucasArts offices with a gameplan right now with the intention of getting the rights from them, I would pay good money to see a video tape of the whole thing.

PLUS......personally I think 3D is way too over ambitious unless you have completed 2D games to your credit (3D being the next step forward)............have you thought about using 3D rendered graphics with 2D sprites? You sound as though you're setting yourself unrealistic targets from the off.

........Neil referring to me as a colleague??! Do I hear the chinking of keys to the moderators lounge? Bared nipple at the ready!!! :))

Archived