Home

Monkey Island 5: Return To Monkey Island

Elliott Hird

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3) Altenatively produce a game design, with scripting an dialogue, good enough for a 5-6 screen demo. Include concept art, sketches etc

Huh. I'll do that, and a crappy demo in AGS.

But listen. Novel-ready storylines, quips, dialog, everything. fine. Graphics? Sketches? Don't look at me. I can picture graphics perfectly in my head...

...but unless you can make a mind-scanner, I can't show you them.

I don't think that would matter. You could describe it like a screenplay:

INTERIOR SCUMM BAR

It has been redecorated but you can still recognize it from MI1. There is now a Grog machine and the dart board has been closed off with "Crime Scene"-like tape...

I love the dots! I print off the forum pages and write in my own hillarious additions to Roy's lines!

And the job of thinking up dialouge and story usually comes after you've worked your way up the ladder for a good few years. ;

3) Altenatively produce a game design, with scripting an dialogue, good enough for a 5-6 screen demo. Include concept art, sketches etc

Huh. I'll do that, and a crappy demo in AGS.

But listen. Novel-ready storylines, quips, dialog, everything. fine. Graphics? Sketches? Don't look at me. I can picture graphics perfectly in my head...

...but unless you can make a mind-scanner, I can't show you them.

That's very nice, but you could easily get someone else to do the arty stuff if you come up with some basic business plan for how you're going to finance such a venture and how you'd manage production and so on. It's all very well saying you have an idea and a dream, but making it all into a reality will prove harder. I'm not sure you've thought this through enough.

Fan game? Read it again. I'm going to get the rights/permission to use the rights, and commercially publish this game, an (un?)official sequel.

Yep it's been asked before but... do you have more than $1,000,000 in your pocket? Because I don't think LEC would sell the rights just for a 5 dollar gift voucher at Penny's.

There have been so many ambitious guys such as yourself, Elliot. 99.99% of them do not suceed in what they want. 0.01% are apart of Lucasfan Games. If you did manage... somehow... to get the rights, what would be your role in the team? The big guy with the whips who tells everyone what he wants or will you actually work on this project? From reading this I can see you're not a programmer (not a good one at that) and 3D is harder than you think. And plot development is actually one of the hardest aspects of game making. Harder than programming I tell you that if you're on your own.

Don't give up your day job, if you can deliver me a Monkey Island sequel where Elaine is British then make me proud, sonny boy.

Just glanced through this thread and Elliot, you don't have a chance of getting Lucas Arts to say yes unless you paid them in excess of a 7 figure sum and if you think game developers are going to work for peanuts then you are greatly mistaken.

Have you actually thought this through properly?

• 3 weeks later...
Yep it's been asked before but... do you have more than $1,000,000 in your pocket? Because I don't think LEC would sell the rights just for a 5 dollar gift voucher at Penny's.

There have been so many ambitious guys such as yourself, Elliot. 99.99% of them do not suceed in what they want. 0.01% are apart of Lucasfan Games. If you did manage... somehow... to get the rights, what would be your role in the team? The big guy with the whips who tells everyone what he wants or will you actually work on this project? From reading this I can see you're not a programmer (not a good one at that) and 3D is harder than you think. And plot development is actually one of the hardest aspects of game making. Harder than programming I tell you that if you're on your own.

Don't give up your day job, if you can deliver me a Monkey Island sequel where Elaine is British then make me proud, sonny boy.

Incorrect. Yawn.

I don't think anyone else apart from Lucas Arts can do the Monkey Island brand justice. If anyone else tried creating the new one, it would lose all the magic. Monkey Island brand is a package consisting of unique humour, characters, artwork, sound, atmosphere etc. No other party can replicate all these attributes perfectly. If attempted it would just turn out to be just another adventure game and not Monkey Island.

I don't think the thing that made Monkey Island so memorable was LucasArts per se, as EMI doesn't really compare to the first three in my opinion. I think another company could easily make a Monkey Island game that's better than a new LucasArts version.

I don't think anyone else apart from Lucas Arts can do the Monkey Island brand justice. If anyone else tried creating the new one, it would lose all the magic. Monkey Island brand is a package consisting of unique humour, characters, artwork, sound, atmosphere etc. No other party can replicate all these attributes perfectly. If attempted it would just turn out to be just another adventure game and not Monkey Island.

Is that correct for Sam & Max as well? Because Telltale Games will make Sam & Max 2.

Archived