Home

Another Siege Desert Exploit in Need of a Fix (Arena Doors)

Kurgan

I have a new suggestion, upon consultation with my fellow admins on the server ;)

I believe I mentioned this in the past but now I think I have more information. there's an exploit on siege desert whereby people can start stealing droid parts and take down the shield before the rancor gates are smashed.

The problem is the defenders continue to respawn in the arena and thus it is incredibly difficult to stop this person now and screws everything up.

Basically I think this is how it works. Those side doors in the rancor arena are "locked" until the front rancor gate is smashed. As soon as that happens the doors become openable only by the defender team. the actual gate objective isn't completed until both the front gate and one of the final side gates are smashed (the middle gates don't seem to matter, I tested this by cheating and confirmed it).

Once the doors become openable by the defenders (Front gate smashed) the attackers will use jedi to 'sneak up' to the doors. even if there isn't a 'traitor' on the defender team who opens the door to let the jedi through, they can often access the doors simply by knocking a person's body into the door (causing it to open) and then the jedi gets to rush through and start completeing other objectives.

Mind you, the attackers can't WIN the map until they've smashed both the outer gates (front and back) to the rancor arena, but they can capture all the droid parts while the defenders are still respawning in the arena. not exaclty a balanced situation! so we've made a rule on teh server until you can fix this in OJP Basic.

Whew! Anyway, basically my suggestion is that you should make the Rancor Arena doors locked (to everyone) UNTIL the final outside gate has been smashed (the one leading to the swoops on the other side). this would prevent the exploit from occuring at all. once the outer gate is smashed, the doors would become open to the defenders only, as intended.

I'm wary of bothering to mess with it. This is a problem with the map scripting, not a coding issues. As such, fixing it with code would be hackish, and a pain.

Besides, from the sounds of it, the defenders still have the tactical advantage in this situation. They just have to realize what is going on.

I don't think Raven would mind, but some sites like PCgamemods.com refuse to carry Raven stuff that is just slightly modified. The files could be contained ON the mod itself. Xmod2 features "Fixes" for CTF maps like adding the "location" text placeholders (like what Siege has) and "blocks" that prevent people from hiding inside walls and things with the flag (the areas become "solid" so you can't pass into them to hide). But they didn't need to distribute special versions of the maps in order to use those features.

But to use modified maps I would think you'd NEED to require a client side download for those. But the files would be smaller than downloading the entire map with assets and stuff. So it's not quite that bad.

• 2 years later...
Look at the date before you post. The threads you've posted in are several years old.

Threads may be old but the project is on going and much of the information is still relevant,......................................... .......so its better than starting a new thread in my opinion

in ja+ newest version there is a wall glitch block editor, that can be used in rcon mode, to create invisible blockages where you dont want people to go, is it possible to make something like that.....

This would also prevent the defenders going through the doors as well.

And do not forget that xmod created these first, and I second, THEN JA+.

Archived