Home

Why so negative?

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

I've been asked in some emails from forum users why I am so negative about Galaxies.

It's simple - the game is so far away from Star Wars than anything I know. Today, yet another lame expansion has been announced. However, Galaxies still has issues from beta! (2 years ago). We have professions that are still broken, no REAL content (Im sick of boring - 'run to point a - kill mob - return to sender - repeat over and over) - its such a far cry from the heroes we all know and love and the dangerous missions they embarked on.

So, leaving the original Galaxies broken - they release Jump To Lightspeed. A bugged expansion with probably the dullest space combat I have seen. I just love getting dizzy as your ship rotates in a circle in 'real time combat'. YAWN! JTLS is only useful to travel between planets - no more waiting at starports.

Then, as leaving that with broken quests and misisons, they launch the unforgivable Rage Of The Wookiees - which is a total insult to the Galaxies community.

Why? Bugs bugs and bugs! Rushed out to meet the Episode III deadline, Kashyyk is a limited planet that outlaws exploration. I got the download - I couldnt even attack anything, was killed then slain - for some reason I couldnt clone and had to wait almost 3 hours to switch my PC off in disgust.

It has far too many bugs - spelling errors all over the boring quest missions, which are the most linear I have EVER seen in a game. Had this been free, you would have accepted its short comings but you cant.

The last few publishes have echoed the fact that the Dev team havent a clue. Protests again on servers, Bounty Hunters mad by changes to their professions and Jedi who are too powerful and over running the servers. Everyone wants to be a jedi in this game - but with the last publish - punished everyone in lowering the amount of xp you get - tripling the time it takes to actually learn anything.

The original brief for Galaxies was to have no grinding but the game is full of it. We expect more. World Of Warcraft has kicked Galaxies where it hurts and despite the small boost with Total Experience, players have again left the game because they expect and demand higher standards.

What we need is a game that IS Star Wars. A real War, not this stupid Galactic Civil War where rebels and imperials share buildings and chat - we want a game that has serious challenges and offers real dangers in game. No more Jedi or make the path to becoming a jedi tough. Make it more community based.

If I didnt have a press account, I wouldnt touch this game at all. We demand better and it seems the major problem with this game is Sony. Dump them Lucasarts.

DMUK

*cheer*

GO DMUK!!!I couldn't agree more.

Me neither. I agree on all your views.

I can't believe they have released a new expansion and the original game is still buggy. I sometimes wonder what the folks over at Sony are thinking...

This game is getting further and further away from Star Wars it can possibly get.

It's ridled with inconsistancies, continuity issues, design errors (my main beef would be the cockpit HUD of JTL .... Wing Commander?!? COME ON!!!!), you name it.

I say again, SOE, are you kidding me!?! :headbump

Id like ot say something in defense of galxies, but i cant. Everything DMUK said is true, i wanted a game for adventure! not grinding. The quests are fun but to get anywhere in them you need to be cl 65+, which means hours and days and weeks of borin grind before you can have fun, or you can latch onto a cl80 and get them to take you. The way it is now, the players have to make their own war, which ive tried to do with my space battles, but it should be automatic, even if you only fight npcs at least its battles. So far im a rebel cl80 and the only imperials i have killed are 2 cadets on a terminal mission and tie-fighters. if the players had to make this war happen then soe should of said so in advertising. Oh and btw, the new expansion looks a friggin joke. Why Mustafar?? if it was Mustafar and Utapau and another planet like Hoth or Bespin, i could agree, but a whole new expansion based around Mustafar? poi's will be anakins "death" and maybe the facility. WHY WHY WHY MUSTAFAR??

Those morons at sony screwed up when they put out the CU (which was not even finished in beta yet) and turned the game into ever star quest wars. Maybe 10 people on the forums actually liked it when it was in the test center. I was one of the people who fought it to the point of flaming SOE in every post and sending them an e-mail of hate. I also sent them a link to that petition to STOP the CU.

Here's a copy of one of my e-mails:

http://www.swgpetition.com/

16962 Total Signatures against you guys, what does it take to get through to you. Lots of us former players will come back if you kill the CU and post it on your website or e-mail us that it's gone. I cant even download it as it's an 18 hour download on my high speed computer, so I couldnt play if I wanted to (but I did test it and it is horrible). I hope you realize we are not the type of people who like to see something we've been fans of for a long time destroyed like it has been with the cu. We didn't buy Star Wars Galaxies to play everquest with star wars skins, we wanted to play something fun and uniqe. Nobody bought this game wanting it to go EQ style on us after 2 years of playing. And I suspect lucasarts has been very poorly informed by you, I've seen what you guys do to people who post how to contact lucasarts about this on the forums (delete message and ban player who posted it). Not a good customer keeping tactic. Goodbye until the CU is gone.

Thank you for your time,

A concerned customer.

Please listen to your customers.

P.S. A valuable motto in business: "The customer is always right"

(follow the majority of customers)

I bet this never even got read, it was probably deleted upon being recieved. The petition has gained more signatures since I sent this e-mail. Its up to 17461 signatures now. DOWN WITH SOE!!! :fire3:SOE

WHY WHY WHY MUSTAFAR??

I agree completely... Bad choice of a planet, and having Obi-Wan's spirit there doesn't do any good. After all, he has no reason to be there, he should be near, not far, from Luke. Now, Utapau would be some interesting yes, the sinkhole civilization and all... But truth is, I would much prefer to see Mon Calamari...

SOE and lucasarts could both learn BIG lessons from WoW.

For a start no interaction between factions,if you're a reb you're a reb,none of this nonsence of like dmuk says imp and rebs sharing houses.

BH neutral,no jedi (that was the real killer for the game)NPC jedi yes,but not players.

As for this sad excuse for an expansion,i cant help feeling that SOE have had thier hands tied by LA,i'm not defending SOE,not by a long way,but one look at the launch date (dvd release) smacks of a cash in by both parties.

And that rather tawdry fact really sums up the mess that SWG has become,another cash cow,with little or no regard for PAYING customers.

SOE and lucasarts could both learn BIG lessons from WoW.

Shamefully i must admit i just browsed the WoW site, and it looked a s**t-load more interesting than SWG. I love star wars, but this game is so boring that a vaguely Han Solo looking mission terminal wont save ot for me.

I'm not fond of wow but the sheer class in the way its presented knocks SWG into next year.

The seemless change from one server to the other is the first thing you notice,as is the lag,apart from the 2 main citys,i see them moaning on thier wow forums about the lag and i have a chuckle,they should play SWG for a bit,now thats lag.

i think WoW looks great, i mean graphically, but upon checkin the game package i found it require lower specs to play than galaxies. And form what ive heard every1 who plays it is (mostly) satisfied. WHAT HAPPENED SOE!!?? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY BELOVED STAR WARS!!!!

i think WoW looks great, i mean graphically, but upon checkin the game package i found it require lower specs to play than galaxies. And form what ive heard every1 who plays it is (mostly) satisfied. WHAT HAPPENED SOE!!?? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY BELOVED STAR WARS!!!!

I have to agree there. Blizzard did a very good Job with World of Warcraft. I've been playing Blizzard games since 1992 when Warcraft I had just come out and I've found throughout the years that Blizzard Entertainment always trys to make their games more appealable to a larger fan base by trying to make the system requirements for their games as low as possible. This is to allow people with Low to Middle end Systems the same opportunity to enjoy Blizzard games as would an individual with a High End P.C. such as a 'Sony Vaio' (just an example of a High End Platform P.C.).

darthleonitus

I have to agree there. Blizzard did a very good Job with World of Warcraft. I've been playing Blizzard games since 1992 when Warcraft I had just come out and I've found throughout the years that Blizzard Entertainment always trys to make their games more appealable to a larger fan base by trying to make the system requirements for their games as low as possible. This is to allow people with Low to Middle end Systems the same opportunity to enjoy Blizzard games as would an individual with a High End P.C. such as a 'Sony Vaio' (just an example of a High End Platform P.C.).

darthleonitus

Yuppers,that sums it up,my wife can get WOW running her rather old laptop,nothing great mind,but good enough to play it.

Blizzard have redrawn the way MMORPGs will go in the future thats for sure,you obly have to look at the way SOE are scrambling to catch up,not just in SWG either.

The one thing that you notice with WOW is how much Blizzard have "stolen" from other games,and then repackaged it in such a way that my wife (who always said she would NEVER play a MMO game) can get started,sure theres a grinding aspect to it,but its done in a way thats noob friendly,whereas SOE make you grind from the word go,and frankly not noob friendly either.

It will be interesting to see how D&D online works out when it comes to live later in the year,to see how much they have taken onboard from WOW.

Yuppers,that sums it up,my wife can get WOW running her rather old laptop,nothing great mind,but good enough to play it.

Blizzard have redrawn the way MMORPGs will go in the future thats for sure,you obly have to look at the way SOE are scrambling to catch up,not just in SWG either.

The one thing that you notice with WOW is how much Blizzard have "stolen" from other games,and then repackaged it in such a way that my wife (who always said she would NEVER play a MMO game) can get started,sure theres a grinding aspect to it,but its done in a way thats noob friendly,whereas SOE make you grind from the word go,and frankly not noob friendly either.

It will be interesting to see how D&D online works out when it comes to live later in the year,to see how much they have taken onboard from WOW.

This is true. Blizzard has redefined the MMORPG with World of Warcraft but the things that were "stolen" from other games and incorporated into World of Warcraft is common to see. Take Everquest (the first Everquest adventures) for example, it has a striking resemblance to the game play of Ultima Online. Everquest may not look the same, however, the MMORPG feel and interface of controlling your player character is similar to Ultima Online's (3rd person view - traveling and then party encounters creature, foe, or enemy, they can either: (a) interact, (b)attack, ©ignore, or (d) other playable options). When you look at it, World of Warcraft isn't so different, it may not look like Ultima Online or Everquest but these playable aspects are all there. These things are very visible in the MMORPG genre of gaming. Since these aspects are becoming the standard of an MMORPG genre game than it would be understandable why you would say that they were "stolen." It's not that they are "stolen" it's just those are the common game characteristics of an MMORPG. All MMORPG's will contain these characteristics.

darthleonitus

Blizzard rarely if ever comes out with anything new.

Like darthleonitus said, they pick bits and pieces from other games, and refine it into perfection.

Again, nothing wrong with this, as you pretty much know you are going to get value for your money every time. ;)

Blizzard rarely if ever comes out with anything new.

Like darthleonitus said, they pick bits and pieces from other games, and refine it into perfection.

Again, nothing wrong with this, as you pretty much know you are going to get value for your money every time. ;)

Yes, I am very satisfied with the Blizzard games that I have had or have, presently. These games include (in order of acquiring or purchasing): Diablo I, Warcraft II: The Tides of Darkness - the Battle.net edition, Warcraft III: The Reign of Chaos, Warcraft III expansion set: The Frozen Throne, and on the 1st of September I'm planning to add World of Warcraft to my Blizzard Games Collection. ;)

Yes, I am very satisfied with the Blizzard games that I have had or have, presently. These games include (in order of acquiring or purchasing): Diablo I, Warcraft II: The Tides of Darkness - the Battle.net edition, Warcraft III: The Reign of Chaos, Warcraft III expansion set: The Frozen Throne, and on the 1st of September I'm planning to add World of Warcraft to my Blizzard Games Collection. ;)

Hehe post on here on the 2nd of september about you're experaces with WOW,.

It will shock you how well run it is,IMO its hard to tell who has more experience of running MMO SOE or Blizzard,one is slick and tries to fix things quick..the other couldnt give a damn about its customer base.

I will leave it up to you all to work that one out :)

Hehe post on here on the 2nd of september about you're experaces with WOW,.

It will shock you how well run it is,IMO its hard to tell who has more experience of running MMO SOE or Blizzard,one is slick and tries to fix things quick..the other couldnt give a damn about its customer base.

I will leave it up to you all to work that one out :)

That's really interesting but I will see how World of Warcraft is run... even though it is unrelated to this forum I'll post my experiences due to the fact that it is a MMORPG and we are discussing MMORPG's. I have never had any personal bias towards any Blizzard Games, however. I've always found them enjoyable. I'm guessing that's how it will be when I purchase World of Warcraft as well. We'll see, the 1st of September is just around the corner now. I can't hardly wait. ;)

darthleonitus

Well everyone. I've purchased World of Warcraft and I am about to Install it, run it, and be prepared for Total World of Warcraft Immersion! I will tell you all how it's run tommorrow on Sept. 2, 2005. Laterz, *Goes back to installing World of Warcraft* ;)

darthleonitus

Big patch to get first,try and grab it from fileplanet the updater is rubbish

Big patch to get first,try and grab it from fileplanet the updater is rubbish

Yes, that was a big patch to install. It was over a 190 megabytes download!

World of Warcraft, once you get in game though looks beautiful. It was well worth the $49.00 American Dollars I paid for it. I would like to be impartial at this point because I haven't purchased Star Wars Galaxies: Online yet. I will see how SWG: Online is and I will post on my experiences with it within the next couple of weeks. BTW, the intro movie for World of Warcraft was incredible. For those of you who would like to see the intro movie, you can download it at http://www.blizzard.com and see it that way. Also, if anyone who does have World of Warcraft reads this post, I can be found on the 'Medivh' server. My character name is 'Artamus' so stop by and say hello sometime. lol

darthleonitus

Archived