Home

The Dig book

Tall Guy

Anyone read it? I just finished it and thought it was really great. What do people think about it? I've had it sat on my shelf for ages and I'm so glad I got around to reading it finally...

Appologies if someone has already posted a thread similar to this one...

I've read it and I think some of the parts brought a lot more depth to the story and characters. It was interesting to see what Low was thinking during all the different points of the adventure.

The parts I didn't like were those that tried to include some of the puzzles in the book. All of them just weren't logical, but since it's difficult to turn an adventure game into a novel, I'm not complaining. Too much.

If you're interested, there's a short conversation on how the German language is used in the book right over here.

• 2 months later...

i've had it for ages, but i keep stopping, i restarted reading it last night tho, so far its ok. I think it repeats itself tho, the descriptions of characters repeat themselves in the first few chapters, but so far it has a habit of repeating itself.

read a few more chapters, so far its quite well written, but i dont like the direction ADF takes with the characters. In the game, boston low is a good humoured guy but for some reason ADF turns him into the cliched "tired hero" who's weary of adventure and gets thrown in the deep end one last time. Brink was supposed to be annoying and confrontational, in the book he seems completely agreeable and more likable than robbins even. Secondly, Boston seems completely indifferent when Brink dies and robbins is the one who loses it at him, in the game i think it makes more sense and is more interesting that Boston, who's pent up on protecting his crew and keeping them alive, is the one who takes brinks death hard and blames himself.

• 4 months later...

I bought the book off eBay recently and just finished reading it last night. I really liked it! The characters were more fleshed out given nice depth, and I particularly enjoyed learning about what kind of people Borden and Miles were... They were all a bit different to the game and I quite liked that.

The ending is still the sappy feel-good ending from the game (I mean, I wasn't really expecting that to change), but that didn't really get to me.

I guess the only thing that sort of bugged me about it was the incessant Cocytan commentary from the other dimension - that did get old after the first couple of times...

Otherwise, it's a cool book (I was expecting it to be worse) and I can see myself reading it again sometime... :)

Archived