Home

Multiplayer colours. A bit too much?

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

Having seen the latest screens from the Liepzig Convention , you can see the some of the ships are covered in a blue colour.

This could be for multiplayer or a chosen marking for your particular group. We havent seen them before until now and it made some of the ships look unrealistic.

Whats your views? Im thinking that they might need to change this to a more combat friendly colour.

DMUK

Classic argument. house color is annoying but unavoidable. artists everywhere who want a realistic piece of art cringe when they hear "housecolor." necessary evil and one that isn't going to change.

I always wanted to see a glow around the base of a vehicle or character but I never see it happen.

Classic argument. house color is annoying but unavoidable. artists everywhere who want a realistic piece of art cringe when they hear "housecolor." necessary evil and one that isn't going to change.

I always wanted to see a glow around the base of a vehicle or character but I never see it happen.

thats a pretty good idea.

To me the troopers and the AT-AT's seem alright. Most of the walkers in general. The speeders and rebel missile... things, seem like it's far too emphasized myself. The shots in space ar too fuzzy or are just coming up with Document not found to tell. The ties aren't looking tops though. The best way to deal with Team colors in my opinion is either put them in place of already existing designs on the ship (For instance, for a venator destroyer, they could only change the color of the center stripe.) or else add LITTLE markings on the sides or somewhere where it would make sense. Or my personal favorite... custom Badges.

[it's a] necessary evil and one that isn't going to change.

Aw, come on! Haven't you played Rome: Total War or Ground Control?! What ignorants patrol these forums these days:p!

How hard is it to tell that these Crayven Inc. units belong to the Green team?

001.jpg

Or that these hoplites belong to the "White Team" (and just to make it clear, uniform colour in R: TW is not team-specific):

rome_2_1280x1024.jpg

I could go on and mention Homeworld and Dawn of War and a good deal of other titles, but you get my point.

I mean, have some imagination. Everyone on the Web nowadays act like it's "smear the units with colour or have them be completely identical so that you can't tell the difference in any way whatsoever. There's absolutely no alternative solution whatsoever!!!111". Gimme a break.

Bottom line: Give me team markers hovering over the units any damned day. That looks so horribly cartoonish that it's scary. George Lucas himself said that the very concept of the Rebels and Imperials is that the Empire is colour-less and the rebels are colourful. Think of it, it's the grey TIEs, white storm troopers, grey Death Star and Star Destroyers. Everything is just one or two monotone, evil colours. And now they're smearing blue lines all over the storm troopers? No thanks.

At least I hope we can change the colours freely, as was said, so that I can set the Empire to be gray or white or something, and so on.

The graphics look awesome overall, though, except from the fact that those health bars are way overblown. Same with that circle around the selected units.

I'm going to scale back team color in my mod.

Kudos to you.

• 3 weeks later...

If the fighters are so small that color markings are indistiguishable, then I don't mind if they are tinted one color or another. I think basic principles of a game, like distinguishing my units from yours, comes before any notion of Star Wars feel.

That said, DE's comprimise suggestion seems to fit very well here (atleast for space battles).

Archived