Home

A Computer Problem

Thrawn

I've stumbled into a problem with my computer and I have no idea how to fix it, as I've never seen anything like this before.

The gist of it that I have not been able to get the last 5 or 6 demos I just downloaded to work. Not the games themselves, but the actual install files. If I click on the file, Install shield will launch and act like its doing something, the game's background screen will show up for a split second and then the whole thing disappears. This has happened with multiple files from multiple companies from miltiple websites.

On the rare occasion that I get one installed, clicking on the .exe file to launch it results in nothing happening. The hourglass will show up for a little bit but nothing ever launches. This has happened with the Republic Commando demo and several Splinter Cell demos.

Any ideas?

I had already done the virus and spyware scans to no effect. Then I turned off the virus protector as well and still nothing. Then I even went in and cleaned the registry to no avail. Finally I tried system restore, but it kept saying that it couldn't restore to any of the points it had stored.

I sit down 5 minutes later and it works now just like before. I have no idea what happened, but I'm glad it's fixed.

Yes Ike, I tried that first=Þ

It also rebooted itself in its failed attempts at system restore. I have no idea what happened, but it's working now. Even IE is fixed so that it is once again displaying websites with php on them.

• 2 months later...

Archived