Home

I can play some level but not others!

myee8

Well i have a Radeon 9200 SE 128MB, 1G RAM, P4 2.6 Ghz. Yes i have seen other graphics card type threads, but i don't think any of them have a similar issue. The funny thing with me is that i can play some maps but not others - e.g. i can play Bespin - Platforms, Endor - Bunker, Hoth, Kamino - Tipoca City, both Rhen Var levels, and both Yavin levels. I have managed to complete those levels and find them enjoying.

But with the other levels when i even try to load them, i hardly progress in the game - i may get to the screen where you first get to choose who you want to spawn as, or play the first few seconds of the game, and then it freezes! Then the monitor goes off for a while, and when it comes back on, it has gone back to the desktop with 4-bit colour quality, and i get a error message about the driver not responding. I need to basically reboot to get things back to normal. As you would imagine, i can only play the previously mentioned levels for Galactic Conquest and Instant Action.

I take it that this issue is to do with my graphics card/driver? First i thought i was going to get say a 9600XT 256MB card, but seeing the probs some of you all have with an even better card than the 9600XT i am not so sure as i don't want to waste the money to have more probs!

I have been to the ati.com site to update my graphics driver, but my concern is that i am not sure where to find the most updated driver for my graphics card.

Can anyone help me out with any of my issues here?

Did the reduced settings bit, that didn't help much. Will have a search as to the most updated driver i can download and see how that goes. Regardless of that outcome, i am thinking of getting a better graphics card anyway - perhaps the 9600XT 256MB. I just hope i don't waste money on that just to experience the same probs again! With the amount of bugs people report on this forum i just want to play all aspects of the game, with exception perhaps to multiplayer.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i used to get an error message. This is what i mean: what used to happen was what was posted in the 1st post. Now i updated the display driver thru the adapter tab in the Display properties to some Radeon 9200 SE Family (whatever that means). Now what happens that even on the lowest settings is that instead of my monitor going to 4-bit quality when it freezes, it just 'turns itself off' in that the monitor light goes from green to orange. The funny thing is that it i can still hear the sound of the game going on, so it's like can kinda play the game but i can't see anything! Wierd eh? Damn graphics driver.

Are you sure your graphic card is not overheating? An overheating graphic card may shut down, which would cause the screen to blank out, but the computer would keep on running.

I don't think so in that i can play the levels mentioned in the 1st post with no probs. That is what keeps on confusing me - it doesn't happen on some levels, but happens on others. I have already preordered SWBF2 - so i will soon see if the same happens to that come early November!

Not only that, i have played and completed Doom 3 ROE, SCCT, and Doom 3, all of which were released after SWBF (in which i then assume they are more 'advanced' due to a later release date).

Doom3 is much more advanced than SWBF1. If is happening only on a few levels, maybe the files are currupted. Scan you hard drive for any problems (include scanning for bad sectors). If you haven't reinstalled the game, do it. Apply every patch until you get to the version you want (1.2 or 1.3 Beta), test the game as you go.

• 1 month later...

Well just to let you all know, i have bought, installed, and more importantly managed to play SWBF2 with no problems whatsover! The probs i experienced in SWBF1 that are detailed in this thread do not appear whatsover in SWBF2. I am naturally very pleased about this as i get to experience all of what SWBF2 has to offer. I have already completed the campaign game mode!

Why would you choose an ATI video card ? If I were you, I'd buy an nVidia product... ;)

Hey, I like my ATI card (all-in-wonder 9600 128mb ddr). I don't have any problems running SWBF series on my pc with it.

I can't run Doom3/Quake IV, but that's because my processor/ram isn't enough (256 mb pc133 sdram/2 ghz amd athlon 2400xp+).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived