Home

protoversions

9mmLugerBrink

Hi all, this is my first post here. I am a long time fan of the dig, having played it in demo more than 10 years ago when it came on a cd with an issue of PC Gamer. It was only recently that I purchased the full version and finished it. The storyline is great its a very unique interpretation of the extraterrestrial life. However the game was unfortunately much too short, only a few items to pick up, therefore not much interaction was possible, it was way to easy to figure things out the puzzles were probably the most challenging part of the game. Despite all this I still thoroughly enjoyed playing it, this is probably because of its originality.

I think it had the potential to be a much more entertaining, challenging and interesting game. Having read the info from the dig meuseum about the early Sean Clark and Brian Moriarty protoversions, it seems to me like these games would have been a lot better. For example the interface having the extra commands (move, talk, pickup, look) even though its useless it would have made it seem more interactive like other scumm games and you wouldnt figure **** out straight away just by clicking it, it would actually involve some thinking. The storyline changes like getting rid of Toshi Olema just plain made it boring, how is 4 characters too much?? The many other things they cut like PenUltimate features, scientific dialogue and many items just seems to make no sense.

Anyway the screenshots from the the protoversions are unreal, the game looks like a real traditional adventure game in both Sean Clarks early version and Brian Moriarty's version. I think Lucasarts should of released one of these versions instead of the final thing. Even though the newer graphics are far superior there is no substitution for great gameplay. Anyway these screenshots inspired me to go digging through the room files of the demo with ScummRev. I found a whole lot of items that might of been intended for Sean Clarks earlier version although there are so many new ones I am don't think all of them would have been used. I had compiled a jpg file with all these items but i don't think I can upload it to this site unless its linked to a URL. Some examples of the items are an engine and radio (im assuming from the alien wreck), a generator and 4 pieces of what look likes a crystal that can be joined together. Its hard to tell what most of them are, kinda drawn dodgy. Also I have found the early PenUltimate buttons that are on the Dig museum. Any other ScummRev users found interesting things from the previous versions? Im sure to be missing something

One last thing - is it possible to legally acquire the protoversions? There seems to be no info anywhere cluing me of its existence besides the screenshots. Somewhere these fabled versions must exist right? Maybe the programmers that went to Sean Clarks "pizza orgy" to test his early version have copies. Do you think maybe lucasarts would sell it if they still have a copy? Or to people just pretty much accept they dont exist

To my knowledge these games were never finished as such.

Although it seems likely that the programmers have unfinished copies, I've you tracked them down and asked nicely they might send it to you.

LEC wouldn't. And can't, because they aren't finished, but won't because they're mean. And want to make money.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived