Home

Soundset (SSF) files editor

Has anyone attempted to create and/or edit anyone of these files?

As a reason to why I'm asking this, I've noticed that not all files that the player had in K1 is used. I'm planning on having K1 use all of these, but because no tool for ssf editing is available (there's one for NwN, but not KotOR) it seems impossible to do. If there is a tool that edits KotOR .ssf files, let me know or post a link. Thanx.

Edit: Corrected a little grammer error.

Has anyone attempted to create and/or edit anyone of these files?

As a reason to why I'm asking this, I've noticed that not all files that the player had in K1 is used. I'm planning on having K1 use all of these, but because no tool for ssf editing is available (there's one of NWN, but not KotOR) it seems impossible to do. If there is a tool that edits KotOR .ssf files, let me know or post a link. Thanx.

Soundset (SSF) files in Kotor/TSL are essentially just a list of StrRefs, linking a dialog.tlk entry to a specific sound "slot" for a particular event.

As such, the sounds themselves are set in the dialog.tlk file, where each string in the TLK file can have a sound associated with it. You can use a TLK editor such as KotorTLK or TalkEd to add new entries to your dialog.tlk file for your new soundset entries.

To aid in editing the Soundset (SSF) files i threw together a small tool a few moments ago. Since it's about an hour old it's possible there are some bugs and quirks in it. :) So if you want to try it, make sure you make backups of your files first. It seems to work though with some quick testing. You can get it here if you want it.

Using that program you can associate existing dialog.tlk entries that you have added with the sound slots for the various game events.

As seen there are a few "Unknown" sound slots at the end which I am unsure if they are used in Kotor/TSL. I did some quick looking around and didn't spot any SSF file which had values assigned to them. If anyone knows what those slots are, please let me know.

Soundset (SSF) files in Kotor/TSL are essentially just a list of StrRefs, linking a dialog.tlk entry to a specific sound "slot" for a particular event.
I knew this, except the .ssf files in KotOR were encrypted. ( :confused: It's strange that NwN's can be edited through a simple text editor and KotOR's can't. I use the NwN's sff editor since it’s easier that way.) Anyway, great tool. It gets rid of the hassle of bypassing the encryption and I’ll be happy to test it for you. Will this be posted under “modding tools” if you see it runs well?

We'll definitely post it at starwarsknights.com if/when Stoffe agrees :)

Of course you may post it at starwarsknights.com if you wish. :)

I've uploaded a new version (0.2a) that is a little bit more polished. I eliminated some potential interface glitches, and added a button that lets you make a new SSF file from scratch and not just edit existing ones. It can be found at the same URI as before.

Thanks stoffe :) I'll upload it when I get home

If you've already downloaded it before, I've done some more playing around with it and have uploaded a new version again (v0.3).

I made it capable of adding new sound entries directly to the dialog.tlk file you've opened so you won't have to use an external TLK editor to add new soundset sounds to the game.

It'll also display the name of the sound files in the listing now. It can be downloaded here.

EDIT: I just read that Fred Tetra apparently already has added SSF editing functionality to KotorTool, so I won't do anything further with this program. No point putting more time into making something redundant nobody will use anyway.

I actually added the code back when Darth333 asked about SSF files, but didn't think anyone had a use for it, so it sat idle. You nudged me to put a couple of hours into polishing it up for public consumption :)

By the way, I really like your work; very nice stuff! It's good to have yet another "core contributor" like you. ;D

• 3 weeks later...
EDIT: I just read that Fred Tetra apparently already has added SSF editing functionality to KotorTool, so I won't do anything further with this program.

So it seems like I lied above, but I dislike leaving things half-finished. :)

I discovered a few minor interface-related problems with the SSFEditor that I have fixed, and made it possible to associate SSF files to it so it'll open them if they are doubleclicked in the Explorer.

If anyone still want it, the mini update can be found here.

Archived