Home

Must I Use the Disc

sean_andrews

Is there any way I can get around having to stick the first disc of Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight in my CD-ROM drive every time I want to play the game? I did a full installation, but I still have to put this disc in. Can I not just copy certain special files from the disc onto my computer so I don't have to use the disc every time?

The reason I ask is because I have a laptop with a CD-ROM drive that is not built in (it plugs in through the USB port), and I don't want to have to cart around the CD-ROM drive all the time so I can play this game.

Thanks.

Sean

JK you find that file it was called like _cd or something, it's on the original disc. Copy it over. You can also copy over all the cutscenes to your hard drive in the proper file structure to view those too. The problem occurs when you go through the second half of the game, then you need to copy over the _cd file from the second disc or it'll goof up (unless you skip all cutscenes). You also miss out on the CD audio music...

MotS was different, it basically required a CD "crack" (made by some third party folks and completely unsupported by LucasArts... and sometimes with a virus on it, scan every file before testing!). And of course you missed out on the music and cutscenes (that ones that played in that SCN format that MotS used for the pre-rendered ones).

Sorry guys, but you are both wrong! :D

First, do the *full* install, make everything maximum.

Next, copy all of the files from the 'resource' folders on the CD's, including both 'video folders', into the "[JK Path]\Resource" folder. Videos should all go in a single 'Video' subdirectory.

Finally, copy the "JK_.CD" file from the CD into the resource folder, and it should never ask for the CD again.

I've been doing this for comupters with no CD drive for years ... unfortunately MotS doesn't offer a no-CD, so I use Daemon Tools to mount the image.

Mike

Archived