Home

Ghost in the Shell: Episode - 'Stand Alone Complex'

The Source

Ghost in the Shell: 'Stand Alone Complex' TV Series

A few moments ago, I watched through the last 'Ghost in the Shell' volume. I have to say: 'WOW'. When you sum up all the detail they made, for the series, you can't help but feel: 'Will there ever be another Anime that complex?' After watching the last episode, I walked away satisfied with their conclusion. I have never been intrigued with a Japan Adult Cartoon before. The Major's new eye color rocked... I saw the twist coming, but I wasn't sure how they would pull it off.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you worried about? Most likely it'll cost 35AUD which is around 27-28USD add the shipping costs and it shouldn't be that much over the initial price. It's not gonna cost you an arm and a leg that's for sure XD all you'd need to do is buy it off the net from some online store once it is released.

What are you worried about? Most likely it'll cost 35AUD which is around 27-28USD add the shipping costs and it shouldn't be that much over the initial price. It's not gonna cost you an arm and a leg that's for sure XD all you'd need to do is buy it off the net from some online store once it is released.

yeah but with the gas prices the way they are, they might charge for jet fuel or something and the price will be an arm and a leg, lol...

Ghost in the Shell? never heard of it.... hehehe :D

yeah, I'm kidding for those that don't know any better (or my avatar) ;)

GitS is perhaps my favorite anime, at least as far as an on-going storlyine/drama/soap-opera-ish overtone. The series takes the time to get to know the characters... but are highly dependant on the viewer being familiar with past episodes... loved every minute of the Standalone Complex Series and am looking forward to season 2 :emodanc:

GitS is perhaps my favorite anime, at least as far as an on-going storlyine/drama/soap-opera-ish overtone. The series takes the time to get to know the characters... but are highly dependant on the viewer being familiar with past episodes... loved every minute of the Standalone Complex Series and am looking forward to season 2 :emodanc:

XD Most animes are like that.

XD Most animes are like that.

True, But with GitS, miss one episode and you can be totally lost unless there's a re-run or a convenient 'flash-back'... unlike alot of other anime's that have alot of "fluff" filler episodes that don't have anything to do with the overall story... I liked GitS moreso because every episode had something to do with the main plot...

I'm a big fan of Inuyasha and Full Metal Alchemist too.. but if I miss an episode, I'm not going to be asking myself "WTH just happened??" ;)

Like I said, most animes are like that. Most animes are 12/13 or 26 episodes long. InuYasha and Fullmetal Alchemist and Dragonball Z, etc are those rare animes that go over the standard episode counts. When you have such a small episode count you don't have time to do filler eps... unless you're watching Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo which are mostly just "filler eps"

True, But with GitS, miss one episode and you can be totally lost unless there's a re-run or a convenient 'flash-back'... unlike alot of other anime's that have alot of "fluff" filler episodes that don't have anything to do with the overall story... I liked GitS moreso because every episode had something to do with the main plot...

I'm a big fan of Inuyasha and Full Metal Alchemist too.. but if I miss an episode, I'm not going to be asking myself "WTH just happened??" ;)

I agree!

From an art historical view, GITS was one of the first Anime movies that had a complexity in design and story. Even thought I had to watch the first movie a few times to understand it, I was drawn into how inter conected the design and story were related. Before GITS, there were very few Anime movies that strove to deliver great details in animation. Adult cartoons were rear, and GITS was one of a few Animes that put adult cartoons in the spotlight. Plus, it was delivered to the public on VHS.

GITS: Stand Alone Complex will be on 'Cartoon Network' at 9:00 starting in late September or early October.

When it comes to GITS II, I think it is sucessful in design and digital animation. However, I felt the only fall back was 'English Sub Text'. If the movie was doubed in English, I would be able to enjoy more of the story. I am sure there will be a copy doubed in English.

From an art historical view, GITS was one of the first Anime movies that had a complexity in design and story. Even thought I had to watch the first movie a few times to understand it, I was drawn into how inter conected the design and story were related. Before GITS, there were very few Anime movies that strove to deliver great details in animation. Adult cartoons were rear, and GITS was one of a few Animes that put adult cartoons in the spotlight. Plus, it was delivered to the public on VHS.

This, would be incorrect. There are many other mature anime made long before GitS. But for the western audience indeed, GitS was the first complex, mature animated movie which made a considerable profit and gained a cult following.

When it comes to GITS II, I think it is sucessful in design and digital animation. However, I felt the only fall back was 'English Sub Text'. If the movie was doubed in English, I would be able to enjoy more of the story. I am sure there will be a copy doubed in English.

Dubs for the most part are lousy and sometimes even change the story and characters due to phrasing and half-a$$ed translations.

Example: in the very first episode of GitS Stand Alone Complex the major has a chat with Togusa. In the english dub, she sonds happy encouraging him and telling him to keep up the good work. In the original japanese she sounds rough, reprimands him, criticizes him and telling him to do better. This giving Togusa the psychological boost he needs to try harder and stay sharp.

This changes the major's personality. She is a hard and unforgiving professional and she loses that hard edge when praising Togusa instead of reprimanding him, demanding a better performance. It also changes their relationship as they appear friends in the english dub, instead of colleagues in the original.

So, it's better to make an effort and read subtitles, instead of listening to crappy dubs.

Archived