Home

Books!

Samuel Dravis

Can someone clear up how many books are in the Ender series and what order they should be read in??? I was under the impression there was an initial Trilogy, then a few other ones, but I just read Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide and instead of the expected conclusion it just ended. I'm starting to think he's ruining it by overcomplicating the whole thing, but I'd still like to finish it.

I really want to read some book that AREN'T part of great big series. It always seems a good idea at the time, then you get locked into finishing a 3 (or 12) book series that usually goes down hill pretty fast but you wannna finish anyway. Darn SF/F authors...

Well, toms, Orson Scott Card actually has some really good stand alone books:

Hart's Hope - Absolutely incredible; written in that old fantasy style. Almost like someone is telling you the tale. Fantastic.

Homebody - This one is more of a creepy novel than a sci-fi one. In fact it's not sci-fi at all, but it's a really fun book to read; a very quick one. :)

Pastwatch: The Remption of Christopher Columbus - I've not read it but it's been highly recommended to me. ;)

David Brin's 'Earth' is a stand alone novel as well. Again, I've not read this one, but it was highly recommended, and next in line for me. :)

BTW, I finished Shadow of the Giant. Wow. Amazing book. The ending could have been better, but the rest of the book was just incredible.

Well, I finished Shadow of the Giant at 2am this morning. And I have to say, it was good. It got kinda fast paced near the end like maybe Card was rushed or something. My favorite part has to be when 2 Battle Schoolers are emailing each other and they're "ribbing" each other.

With the way the book ended, there could still be a sequel, but I don't think it would be important.

There is still the lady with the "Bean baby" on the loose, and what happens to Bean with the babies with him on the starship?

i'm kinda reading 2 books.

Chronicles of Narnia book 4: The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis. pretty cool series, i've got all the original movies. XD can't wait to see what disney is gonna do w/it.

and recently started Chronicles of the King: The Lord is My Strength by Lynn N. Austin. It's about King Hezekia.

I'm reading The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card right now. I've finished the 'Worthing Chronicle' part, and it was very good. I actually found it to be better if I read it in pieces rather than trying to get it all in at once. It spans so many thousands of years, so many characters that I was starting to cross characters and times. :)

Anyway, it was excellent. It had a perfect blend of fantasy with a sci-fi type background. So engaging. I recommend it. :)

I bought The Left Hand of Darkness yesterday. I was going to read that after I finish the rest of The Worthing Saga, but my sister says that I have to read Wizard's First Rule. We shall see, eh? :D

Looks like you're in a bind. lol.

And it's all your fault, you know! There's only been one or two books I've read recently not recommended by you. What have you DONE to me?! :xp:

:D

I'm reading Wealth and Democracy, a better book never crossed my path. Interesting, but not my type of casual reading. It's for my history class; the prof's really into the economics of it... blergh. :D

Well, my hunter's ed teacher kept on trying to teach ethics....Oh wait a sec, I think that was the point. Oh boy. :p

Recently finished reading...

White Wolf by David Gemmell

Not quite up to his best standards (like Legend, Waylander, Dark Prince and Morningstar), but still a good read. The key villain was a bit obvious, but Gemmell does have a way of really fleshing out characters and making the extraordinary seem ordinary, and blurring the lines between good and evil.

You Only Live Twice and The Man With The Golden Gun by Ian Fleming

I highly recommend reading the Bond novels in some semblence of order, because as in the case of these two, the story practically follows on. Bond's actions in the start of TMWTGG directly relate to how the previous book ends. Anyway, even if you've seen all of the Bond movies, the novels are worth reading partly because they are so well written, but also because you will often find the situations in the books are completely different from what you have seen on the big screen. Certain scenes across a few different novels will have been used in the making of one of the movies, for instance, and it is satisfying to recognise those scenes as you come across them. I find the novels more down to earth.

Currently reading...

The First Book Of Swords by Fred Saberhagen

Ice Station Zebra by Alistair MacLean

As you can tell, I like to have a few books on the go with completely different settings.

When it comes to the Wheel Of Time series by Robert Jordan, I can only say they are a prime example of an author not having the discipline to conclude a story. While many of David Gemmell's novels of the Drenai have a similar setting, and even some similar characters, each book is usually a story in its own right and requires no previous reading. I stopped buying the Wheel of Time novels after number 8, because I suspected no foreseeable conclusion - and now the series is up to 11 volumes and rising with too much rehashing of ideas.

BTW, for those who like to read long books, try any of the Duncton Wood novels by William Horwood. 1000 page tales about the lives and loves of moles is enough to test anyone's mettle.

Archived