Home

Modified Strike Cruiser

Haven's Judgement

I just installed a new version of X-wing Alliance on my computer, for using XIS with. Before I added anything new, I decided to look at shiplist and strings. Inside, I found a Modified Strike Cruiser, the Strike Cruiser with Gravity Well Projecters. I saw it in BinHexEdit, complete with stats and everything. In Shiplist I took away the *, to make it useable in Skirmish mode. It even had a picture when you give it a name, AI, It's assignmenet, etc. (most ships you download dopn't have those). I had 2 problems. One, the shortened name was G/2, even though in Strings it said M/SC. The other was whenever I tried to use it, I started the skirmish, and it would load about 50%, then exit to windows. Does anyone know why it does this, or any information about it? I also saw the Star Viper like this, but it just seems to be an X-wing with a different name. Thanks for any help.

BTW, I was looking through strings and found this under the section for Strings for Salvage Yard/Training Grounds, and found it amusing -

!YARD_RECYCLE_YOUR_ASS! Let's recycle your ass!

LOL I never noticed that!

Regarding the modified strike cruiser...

It shares the same stats or ship slot as the Golan 2, it has to do with either the ship slot number, or the species table, if you would go through these in binhexedit you will see what I am talking about.

I encountered a similar problem when I tried to put a new ship and .opt in that slot.

IIRC, the Mod Strike and the Starviper are ships that are "included," but TG never managed to complete the opts for them.

You can find user-made opts (like the one mentioned), but the TG versions never shipped with the game. That's why your skirmish is crashing; it's trying to load a ship that doesn't exist.

The Starviper opt is pretty leet, but it doesn't have S-foils (in SotE, the wings can collapse and the guns swivel backwards like tails). It's also flat black, which makes it really hard to spot in a battle (which can be either good or bad, considering cool.gif ).

Finally, the "recycle your ass" comment is in the game; pay attention to what the flight leader says (via subtitles) after the countdown at the start of the yard. IIRC, it's:

<<< 5 >>>

<<< 4 >>>

<<< 3 >>>

<<< 2 >>>

<<< 1 >>>

Let's recycle your ass!

------------------

Uh-oh. . . Don't try this at home, kids!

• 12 years later...

Hmm… the Modified Strike Cruiser works perfectly for me. I am using Darksaber's Ultimate Craft pack 2.2. This also adds MC80A Reef Home cruiser and the MC85A Home One cruiser with a New skin. The MSC however is the only unit in the pack without a new skin. It is still low poly. The Starviper however isn't in the DSUCP 2.2.

And about the strings, i found a group of strings called CD1:, CD2:, and CD3:.

This indicates that there was a third CD planned.

One question. Where can i find a modification that enables WLAN or LAN multiplayer modes? I don't want to redirect the game to the internet using my mobile phone -__-

IIRC? I have never heard of THAT before. There ARE items in the game called DSII, Backdrop 15. Also, the Libberty-Class MC80B has a corrupted briefing image. It used the MC80A (Defiance) instead. The DSII "craft" is actually nothing, but is used in the briefing for the Battle of Endor missions. The Death Star II in the missions itself is just a backdrop sprite that is programmed to attack, and the mission inside the Death Star II is made out of several models. The Reactor Core is a Cargo Canister with some small edits (AlliEd says so) And in the mission files, you can enable the death star tunnel run by setting the hangar to a specific number. The MC80 Reef Home Cruiser is located somewhere in the *Dontuseme parts, directly under it is the MC85 Home One cruiser. I haven't located anything else interresting.

Archived