Home

Requests for New Mod Utilities

tk102

Hello KotOR modder! Welcome to the Astromech Droid Center. There are a number of utilities here to help you mod the KotOR series games. All of these have been created as-needed and usually by request so.......

Can't find a utility that could really make your life easier?

Do wish someone would just create a tool to help you?

Post the request here!

Hopefully one of the droids here will be able to come up with something to your liking (or at least come up with work-around using what's available).

If you have suggestions for improving existing tools, please post them in their respective thread.

Note: You can request new add-ons to KotOR Tool, the Swiss Army knife of KotOR modding, either here or in the KotOR Tool thread.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^^^^

I second this, I think. Anyways I would love to be able to know what appearance I am giving my npc before i put him in the erf. I would rather not have to go into game or have to extract the whole model into 3ds Max. I have started creation on something that would help with that though, I'm not sure if anyone else has, Im sure anyone could do a better job than me at it though, mine will be just pictures in front of the appearance :).

-Gsccc

I thought rather about view of items such as weapons\armor\etc. (+ for Aurora Toolset in NWN, you could see what your item would look like) but if someone could do NPC models too, then suuureee.

I thought an item browser was what you meant too Osuirof. Both KSE and KT have the ability to see items (well, their icons actually).

Viewing models and skins on models is something else entirely and is beyond the scope of my current abilities.

tk102

Sorry for not making myself clear.

Yes, I want to view different textures of items (combinations of numbers like: Model Variation, Body Variation, Texture Variation)

I mean their look in player hands, on their chests, etc., not their icons in inventory (but that would be usefull too) .

Both KSE and KT have the ability to see items (well, their icons actually).

Hmm, in my KT (1.0.2131.27110) I don`t have it.

Does it`s by default on, or has to be manually turn on ? Upgrade ?

oldflash

3D modelling and stuff scares me.

But, maybe I could Persuade my friend who likes that kind of things to help me out.

So what I have to do\extract to view all of those combinations ?

• 2 weeks later...
Darth InSidious

Sorry, but I don`t understand what you mean, could you make it more clear ?

*takes a deep breath*

Each module in KotOR and TSL is made up of a whole load of models, held together with files like the .lyt, the .are et ceteri.

When re-skinning some models, such as weapons, and rooms, one has to change the model's entries for which texture to use manually, using a HEX editor. This takes quite a while with rooms, for example.

What I am asking is if there is a way to remove the need to HEX edit every entry for each texture in a model in order to change the appearance to your new set of textures.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just like someone to make a importer/exporter specifically for KOTOR that does all the conversions automatically. I'm having a really hard time getting anything in the game, let alone getting it right, I just can't keep track of what file is what and by the time I realize something’s wrong I can't really remember at what point I might have messed up.

• 1 month later...

I'd really like a tool that will merge global.jrl files together. I just spent three *snip* hours trying to get two incompatible mods using the same global.jrl file to work! That's just not right! :(

I'm sorry you are angry, but please refrain from posting using foul language, even using symbols to cover up letters, foul language is foul language. Thanks. -RH

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yes, there are hundreds of pc mod tools for both of KotORs, but has anyone yet requested a TSL xbox ultilities. Because if not, I'll be the first one then, so:

Is there anyone that could make an xbox tsl editor? Pleeaaze?!

:duel:

Luke=My hopes for finding one, Vader=tons of pc tools

Yes they have been requested. However the likeliehood of them being made is about on par with not at all. The tools such as KSE and Kotor Tool are the only ones that have any type of xbox modding capability. However since there are some differences between files such as models between the PC and xbox and our resident tool makers have little to no interest in investing in duplicates of the games as well as possibly investing in a xbox if need be. There are also a few other mod file types that can't be run on xbox for whatever reason as well.

I would recomend if you want to play a modded version of either of the Kotor games you plan on buying copies of them for PC.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

yes, my computer is the type that barely works under the presure of enternet and my xbox is so much better. i need a way to mod my xbox games because a new comp is more expensive then file transfer to an xbox by whatever means. can anyone help me out with that? not a to xbox or transfer the mods or whatever? I have emailed the creator but he hasnt sent back yet.

Edit: You know, someone should make a mod that makes jedi robes as defensive as armor. Or, make armor extremely strong but not restricting certain force powers.

Further Edit: Sorry about the double post.

And, how do you get the signature pic to work? Mine wont.

• 3 months later...
A program that could allow you to extract 3D models from other games etc. and use them as players/ npc's in Kotor/ tsl would be great.

Will never happen as that would be a tool made specifically for porting and not only is it illegal (The kind that would get you shut down for IP infringement), but it also isn't condoned here. Sorry.

Welcome to the forums though. :waive1:

• 2 weeks later...

Ohh... thanx.

Well, I had another idea fort a tool. I know some programs like illustrator come with UV mappers, which often comes with the ability to make a 3D model of your head. Though I doubt you could import models from these programs, maybe (though I'm not gonna get my hopes up) somebody could make a UV mapper just for Kotor, maybe as an add on to kotor tool. Doubtful, but you never no.

• 1 month later...

There are so many mods out there that are amazing, so whats the problem? Getting them to all work together without having to know how to mod or spend days trying to edit a 2da or gff or whatever. I would love to see a tool that is easy to use with a nice simple GUI that enables you to take all your mods and integrate them automatically. The tool should autofix the 2da and other files so none of the mods overlap or screw each other up. I know this is a WHOPPER of a request but it would save sooooooo many people a ton of headaches, it would also drastically reduce the number of non-modders pleading for help getting things to work. So if anyone out there in the community is a kickbutt programmer a tool like this would be a "magic bullet" for everyone, both modders and non modders alike.

I think you're describing the TSLPatcher utility made by a kickbutt programmer named stoffe, except that utility puts the onus on the developer to distribute the "patch".

By the time the mods reach the player, it is too late. The savegames become intimately entwined with the mods and when a conflict occurs, there is no way to tell how to untie the knots. That's why the TSLPatcher is an important utility -- it patches the distribution as it gets installed. :)

Thread link for TSLPatchter

Also, for future reference, please use the sticky "Requests for Mod Utilities" thread to make requests. Thanks :)

I think you're describing the TSLPatcher utility made by a kickbutt programmer named stoffe, except that utility puts the onus on the developer to distribute the "patch".

By the time the mods reach the player, it is too late. The savegames become intimately entwined with the mods and when a conflict occurs, there is no way to tell how to untie the knots. That's why the TSLPatcher is an important utility -- it patches the distribution as it gets installed. :)

Thread link for TSLPatchter

Also, for future reference, please use the sticky "Requests for Mod Utilities" thread to make requests. Thanks :)

Hmm is there anyway to redo a mod with the tsl patcher utility so when you go to use the mod its all good to go? I doubt anyone who makes a mod would complain if someone used it on their mod for personal use and didnt upload it without the original modders permission. Baiscally take an old mod and upgrade it for use with the tslpatcher if you know what im getting at... that way you dont have to mess with 2da and uti files and all that nasty stuff hehe.

Archived