Home

Requests for New Mod Utilities

tk102

It is, unfortunately, not always that easy to make two conflicting mods integrate smoothly.

For example, say both mods you want edit baseitems.2da. A lot of modders would concievably want to edit baseitems.2da, would they not?

Say you have two mods, one which adds one new entry, and one which adds nine. You need to start with the second mod, and append the information from the first one to baseitems.2da. Easy, right?

Well, it's possible. Easy? No.

But then you fire everything up, and suddenly everything's screwed up. You're trying to equip a lightsaber as an armor - that's not right!

Of course it's not, because the items reference the line of baseitems.2da. So you have to go back, find the item in question, and edit it so that it now points at the correct line. Easy? No, by now it's bloody annoying.

Now say you have two mods, both of which add upwards of 5+ items to several .2das?

It'd take even a wizzer modder-programmer like Stoffe a good while to sort that nibblock out. It'd probably take you or me a few days of trial-and-error.

How in the hell is a program supposed to sort that out?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big problem is when different mods use the same entry somewhere. For example, there are only so many appearance columns that can be used to specify different clothing, and different mods use the same column. Once they are all used, you have to pick and choose.

Wow, umm and this is why I cannot mod lol. Wish I could but if I look at the code its like looking at an alien language. Hmm it would be nice if bioware or obsidion or lucasarts released their games with modding tools that worked really good to accomplish all those great things. :) but im not counting my chickens hehe.

• 4 months later...

I'd like to see a tool that's like Macromedia DreamWeaver, a tool that will give you plain-english options, and translate them automatically into the desired code. I'd really like to see this used for a Make Your Own Force Powers Tool, where you could fill in attributes, effects, etc, and it would write the script. Then you could follow the steps in the tutorial about force icons and make an icon. Then you would select more options from the .2da section and it would automatically create your desired .2da file. Then just click finish and put the files it spits out into the override. Hope you guys make this, because everyone I know lives for the force powers!

I'd like to see a tool that's like Macromedia DreamWeaver, a tool that will give you plain-english options, and translate them automatically into the desired code. I'd really like to see this used for a Make Your Own Force Powers Tool, where you could fill in attributes, effects, etc, and it would write the script. Then you could follow the steps in the tutorial about force icons and make an icon. Then you would select more options from the .2da section and it would automatically create your desired .2da file. Then just click finish and put the files it spits out into the override. Hope you guys make this, because everyone I know lives for the force powers!

Although I would agree that it would be nice to have a modding utility like this. However a utility like this would be alot of overkill for a very small return as 2da editing is rather straight forward as is scripting once you sit down and try your hand at it. A plain english parser modding utility is rather intensive from a programming perspective, and as I mentioned overkill because the application of this intensive programming is for a very narrow scope. Dreamweaver has a rather broad scope of use worldwide which makes its plain english parser rather very useful for the broad scale of development in which it is used. Also for a perspective the man hours dedicated to developing a program such as dreamweaver probably took a team of 4-10 programmers or more more than a year working 60 hours or more a week. While not all of this time would have been dedicated to plain english parsing it is likely that a good 30% of that time would have been. Now considering that for 1 person even that 4-10 man teams 30% would likely take a year or more. This is time better spent modding or figuring out how to break file formats for modding.

Well, if Beancounter would hurry up and post the rest of his scripting tutorial, I'd be able to try my hand at it!

Edit: Not good. Could anyone here post a tutorial on how to script offensive force powers? My inquirys at the request section aren't going well, so I want to make my own force powers!!!

• 3 months later...
First, is there some way to use kotortool's module editor WITHOUT the 'proper' map files? I don't care if it is all black, as long as I can EDIT!

You can do this by a more manual method, using a GFF editor. The recommended one is tk102's k-gff, since this doesn't screw up cameras like the others do. I believe k-gff is available from SWK.com :)

Second, is there a *.jrl EDITOR? The file merger is great, but I realy need an editor...

Again, opening a .jrl file with a GFF editor will work for this. :)

• 1 month later...

i would love to see a new tool that the ultimate file merger.

it would merge odf,dlg,ncs,tlk,jrl basically any type of file used in mods expect tga and model would be possible to merge with this tool by taking 1 fresh file and then 2 modded files to create a new modded file for all file types used!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like .tlk editor with option of fast copying strings from dialog.tlk. You select strings, right click, select copy, then go into your append.tlk and paste. Copying ~80 strings manually one by one can be really annoying. You must select all text manually (ctrl+a dont work) copy it, then open an text editing window (you can't paste directly) ;/ I need to copy so much strings to replace default game's strings in my mod.

At above:

Don't rly tried this Russian thing, cos everything shows as ??????? to me and i dont know russian anyway. What do you need in .2da editor? adding columns? coloring fields? you should try Kristy Kistic kotor tools (idk link, just use search), as 2da editor included here have alittle more functions that kotor tool's. I'm using tk's 102 excel 2da reader/writer (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147961 insert hiperlink don't work ;/) and just editing 2das in excel.

I'm not sure if i've seen this before so i'll post a request.

A script program.

A program in which you write your script and can actually save it as an NCS or something from the get go.

Or it would probably have to save as NSS first then compile (if possible at the same time or one after the other straoght away) it would be easier to have a GUI program rather than the NWNNSSComp...

The one in KT is a bit dodgy too I find...

I could really use something similar to Taina's replacer Utility which was supposed to allow you to use edited PC heads and other character models....but the only links I can find are PCGM which is of course dead and gone....anyone think they can make something like that....

or have the utility laying around and can send it to me?

• 2 weeks later...

In the recent development of creating new modules, we have come across a problem. It seems that NWmax cannot import and export some of the very important collision...well...whatever the model uses to collide (not walkmeshes). Not a completely new modelling program, just an extension and importer/exporter. I'm not sure if it is possible, and this is a big request, but could come of you great tool making guys work on this problem? Magnus is having trouble decoding some fields, and I know he'd love to work on this. The problems include that you can fire guns right through the walls, and the camera goes through also, some pretty ugly and drastic effects.

Well, thanks in advance for who even considers!

SS

• 5 months later...

Archived