Home

Revolution controller revealed

coupes.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So umm... why the remote design, they could have made it look like a controller, with the same buttons and functions. I really don't like the way it looks...

I watched the entire keynote speech. And he said it was because alot of people have trouble even picking up a 2-handed controller, because it's intimidating. But it seems anyone will pick up a remote control.

And by the way, I like the way it looks. :p

Technically, it is just a controller with motion sensors... and less buttons. Its going to suck that your going to have to press buttons to change buttons and enable other features just because there aren't enough buttons. IDK... to be honest, I think it might be easier to control your characters movement, but everything else will be harder.

I just realized what was in the reflection in that pic. I've also realized that the same thing is in that video, and it slipped my notice the first. And it's quite obvious. Take a look:

difrevcontroller8hy.jpg

It looks like it could be an earlier version of the controller. With X and Y on the 2 lower buttons, which read "b" and "a" when the controller is turned.

Weird.

I have my doubts about it, but I'll admit I'm not much of a console user.

However, the orientation that IG-64 pointed out above seems like users might have the option to turn the "remote" on it's side and use it in the old-fashioned conventional sense. If so, then I think Nintendo just "Revolutionized" the way controllers will be treated in the future ;)

I would think giving the players the option to use it in either way would definitely bridge the gap with those who are turned off to the design by first glance...

Left handed players are probably feeling very good right now, as well as a friend of mine who lost his right arm in an accident a few years back and hasn't been able to play videogames since. He can get back into videogames easily now! :D Man, I need to call him and see what's shakin on his end.

It'll be interesting to see the expansions that will come out for it, I like the analog expansion and we know that there is gonna be a classic gamepad exansion but what else could we see in the future?

Iwata Keynotes

Keynote Video

Revolution Branding Gone

Revolution Controller at a Glance

Hands on with Controller

Revolution Teaser Video

Developers Comment on Controller

Revolution Controller Possibilities

yeht the reason for the bottom two a/b bottons is purely for backwards compatibility

nes: turn the controller on its side ... dpad and a/b buttons

snes: turn the controller on its side .. dpad a/b buttons on right could be x/y buttons (such as in the pic ig showed), and the a button on the left and the b trigger could be the other 2 buttons on the snes controller

n64: controller upright, with peripheral joystick .. though there is a joystick, equivalent l/r buttons, a dpad that can beused as the c-pad, and a/b buttons i think they are in fact lacking a z-button.. whateva way u look

gamecube: equivalent to n64,

-tv remote appearance to not scare away gamers.. fair enuf, there tryin to get those equivalent ds users who are first time gamers, but i think the fact that it is no longer biased toward right handed is more of a key issue. Using a normal controller as a leftie is one thing but having to use the pointer in ur non-prefered hand is a severe disadvantage. The controller i guess wasnt jazzed up into the perfect mold of a right hand probably for this reason as well.

3rd Party Developers-

I believe that this indeed is the future of console gaming, like Lynk said ppl will be slow to come to terms with the idea, but there are a few key gaming platforms that this controller clearly outpaces the others in..

1) sword fighting game - wielding the controller like a sword and possibly getting rumble feature resistance when the sword hits something, is something that is absolutely amazing, i cant wait to play zelda or even a two-player fighting game with jabs and thrusts and parrys its just soo much potential. The other consoles just dont compare.

2) Strategy games- strategy games on consoles in the past have lets face a complete disadvantage, the joystick just doesnt have the right sensitivity and feel when compared to the mouse, and micro (and even sometimes macro) mangement of units is really only properly feasible for the decent gamer on pc. The pointer should put the controller on level playing field

3) FPS Shooters - i have been a big believer of mouse look > joystick look. If u read my halo comment i think that mouse has a big adv in terms of ease to use and sensitivity. But that aside the pointer should finally allow a smooth equivalent mouse look and also put it on level playing field

4) Flying sim - the fack that u can use the controller as a cockpit stick is absolutely amazing, combin the tilt to use the rudder and u hav the perfect joystick

5) mini-games - the pointer gives a new 3-d peripheral to work with and that alone will give to rise new mini games, add to that the tilt feature u can be sure the the new gamers will have to adapt and start become really good at using these features to become elite players. Sort of like ppl who were really good at using the d-pad and than had real difficulties with joystick. Other games off the top of my head include fishing (oh zelda fishing i have waited so long), mario-party type games and monkey ball

These aspects should become part and parcel of future console gaming and as a result i hope the 3d party developers decide to make games for rev sooner rather than later when xbox/ps have jumped on the bandwagon.

@ abespam: Not just for backwards compatibility, for 2 handed use. Think of it this way, you're playing Mario Kart with the Revolution controller, you have it on its side in what I like to call "NES mode." But how exactly are we meant to use it in Mario Kart like this? Well the entire controller is your steering wheel, tilt left and right and you will have the ability to control turns. a for accelarate, b for brake, the B trigger will be to activate/use items. And the D-Pad will be used to initiate powerslides and do other groovy things.

Understanding the Revolution Controller

Understanding the Revolution Controller

understanding-the-revolution-controller-20050916041026412-000.jpg

"Nintendo has not yet released official imagery of what the controller shell might look like. However, we've created a mock-up (above) based on what we know of its functionality. The real controller shell is likely to connect to the free-hand-style pointer in a very similar fashion. Please note that we realize our model is not entirely to scale, but this is the best we could do on short notice." -IGN

edit: Damn you Lynk ! :p

ooh now we talking.. bare in mind fellas that photo is not what it looks like but the fact that they will release a controller shell means ppl have nothing to complain about .. at all

2 controllers for one person, Cartman Quote, "ThATs so kewl u guys". Too bad there are only four controller ports

Yep thats true link.. i forgot that u can use the tilt feature even when the pointer is not facing the tv..

I like the shell idea. So... pretty much, if its simular to the above, it will play like a GCN controller? Possibly with the tilting and stuff too?

I really don't mind the features, just the look, and feel. I don't know, I mean, they design controllers in a shape that fits your hand, thats why they aren't rectangular. But I guess the shell will do.

Archived