Home

Revolution controller revealed

coupes.

Possibly the stupidest one I've read would be "what if you throw the controller while swinging it?"

Actually, I was at my friend's house the other day, and was telling him about the controller. I picked up his tv remote and told him to try it out. He started swinging it around and then it slipped out of his hand and on to the floor. I just said "I hope they make it durable." :p

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one possible flaw with the design is that ergonomics seem to have been sacrificed for clean i-podesque lines. It does look lovely, but I hope they make sure it is comfortable and has a decent grip as well. Maybe they need rubber gripping on the back or something.

I'm still fantasising about a JK game, but on a tangent I had the thought that the first-person saber combat of Star Wars Trilogy Arcade would rock with that controller. It'd be a nice game to port over to the revolution. THAT got me thinking that the REV controller would be really great for games like SWT Arcade and Rogue Leader/Strike (or even Rebel Assualt) where you have several different genres combined into one game.

You could have a joystick type control for the flying part, a horizontal steering-wheel type control for ground-based driving parts, a point and look based bit for FPS shooter and a swing-like-a-sword bit for saber combat. Plus several others as well.

PS/ I'd really recommend that article I posted above, it makes sense of nintendo's sometime-odd seeming strategy... and shows why both nintendo type companies and MS type companies need each other.

Actually, I was at my friend's house the other day, and was telling him about the controller. I picked up his tv remote and told him to try it out. He started swinging it around and then it slipped out of his hand and on to the floor. I just said "I hope they make it durable." :p

Of course, your typical TV remote is a lot wider than the revolution controller, plus there's the added trigger on the back to give you a firmer hold on it. I think you'd have to be swinging it as hard as you can and not holding on very well for it to slip out.

Of course, your typical TV remote is a lot wider than the revolution controller, plus there's the added trigger on the back to give you a firmer hold on it. I think you'd have to be swinging it as hard as you can and not holding on very well for it to slip out.

Actually I think it was a dvd remote, it looked about the right size, and I told him how to hold it right, and he wasn't swinging it as hard as he could. I think there will be accidents if you're prompted to swing it around and aren't carefull. Hopefully they'll make it durable enough.

By the way, I still think it's awesome. :p

The one possible flaw with the design is that ergonomics seem to have been sacrificed for clean i-podesque lines. It does look lovely, but I hope they make sure it is comfortable and has a decent grip as well. Maybe they need rubber gripping on the back or something.

I dunno, I understand the shape of the Revolution controller and think it looks VERY comfortable. Pretend you're holding it in your hand right now and look through the gab, it's basically the shape that the Revolution controller is. Plus it doesn't take that much to grip and to add to that the way the trigger area is set gives you more grip so it won't just fly out of your hand from the front. And it's impossible from the back unless you have the weakest grip recorded for any human EVER.

So i was just thinking. If people can play games on their mobiles, they're surely capable of playing games with the Revolution controller.

Also put into perspective that this "remote" was designed specifically with playing games in mind, unlike the mobile. Therefore there's no reason to think you can't play games with this.

Wait, what?

Errr... I meant feels like a controller. I mean, I don't think I will have to wave a shell around.

So i was just thinking. If people can play games on their mobiles, they're surely capable of playing games with the Revolution controller.

Aren't they 2D and really simplistic? Like, "Get to the right side of the screen" types of games?

I don't think it will have to swung hard. A lot of people are thinking this will lead to crazy sword fights and stuff, but I doubt it. You know - move the controller and the player's sword follows pretty much. It just won't work right, or it will look stupid on screen. I just can't imagine swinging my hand violently and pressing buttons at the same time...

FPSs on the other hand, will be really cool...

I just don't see how they would implement it without it being dumb. I mean, you would need rotation and some kind of force detection and stuff...

What defines you just raising the sword up, and swinging it, where damage is concerned? Will there be premade anims, and you just move the controller in a direction that triggers and anim, or will the sword be "connected" to the controller?

I gave this a lot of thought and figured I could copy the idea with a mouse. It won't work... In all honesty, this controller is nothing more than a mouse with motion detection.

I mean, I was studying (with blender... Blender can make full 3D games... with a bit of work... all for free...) I was studying examples of how people got guns to follow the mouse and figured it would be cool to implement with a sword (move the mouse down, the sword would move down, up and the sword would move up... etc)

In the end, I came to the conclusion, its just not going to work, without a bunch of sensors. Unless there are premade animations. But then that totally defeats the purpose of swinging the "controller/sword." You might as well be pressing A...

I know all of that. But your totally missing the point.

EDIT: your pretty much describing motion capture. Motion capture on a 3d plane requires multiple sensors... this "controller" only has one sending a singal.

That tells me its set up like a co-ordinate plane... with X and Y axis. If these sensors can't detect a z axis, or some sort of detph, then sword play would suck.. bad.

It obviously HAS three dimensions of motion detection. They explained that the demos could detect the controller moving closer or away, in addition to the up, down and sideways motions. Since they have that kind of detection, you could merely have the controller acting as your hilt, and respond accordingly.

I gave this a lot of thought and figured I could copy the idea with a mouse. It won't work... In all honesty, this controller is nothing more than a mouse with motion detection.

A mouse is totally diffrent. A mouse is confined to your table, which usually isn't that much space to work with. It feels clumsy and theres only one plane of movement. With the revolution controller, you can just pick it up and swing it around.

I know all of that. But your totally missing the point.

EDIT: your pretty much describing motion capture. Motion capture on a 3d plane requires multiple sensors... this "controller" only has one sending a singal.

That tells me its set up like a co-ordinate plane... with X and Y axis. If these sensors can't detect a z axis, or some sort of detph, then sword play would suck.. bad.

"Demo #2: Fishing

Much more advanced than just a simple cursor, this revealed how the controller can navigate a 3D space, moving an object on the TV screen not only left, right, up, and down, but also forward and backwards with depth. Players simply use the hand cursor on the screen to pick up a fishing pole and dip its line into a pond full of fish. Like nearly all of the demos, this was very crude, so don't go imagining fishing on the Ocarina of Time level just yet -- this was like a coloring book with flat fish in the water. The visual medium wasn't the point, though. It was pretty intuitive to just reach forward with our virtual hand, pick up the rod, and then dip the hook into the pond and dangle it there. When a fish finally bit, the remote rumbled, which was the cue to tug back on the controller to catch it. As it was only a prototype controller, it was wired because rumble was not in the wireless versions yet."

The sensor detects movement on all axes, not just x and y, making "throwing" a line in the fishing demo possible.

This is what separates the Revolution from an EyeToy, which only detects movement on 2d planes.

I dunno, I understand the shape of the Revolution controller and think it looks VERY comfortable. Pretend you're holding it in your hand right now and look through the gab, it's basically the shape that the Revolution controller is. Plus it doesn't take that much to grip and to add to that the way the trigger area is set gives you more grip so it won't just fly out of your hand from the front. And it's impossible from the back unless you have the weakest grip recorded for any human EVER.

Thats how other controllers are like. The rev controller is like a one-handed, laser-pointing, tilt-sensitive Xbox controller. Its not that big of a deal.

Thats how other controllers are like. The rev controller is like a one-handed, laser-pointing, tilt-sensitive Xbox controller. Its not that big of a deal.

eh? O.o

@ lukeskywalker1: It's funny how you can't image how games would work using a traditional state of mind you have with games. I think that's why Nintendo wants to push forward with this sort of technology. It's time to stop thinking of what can't be done with the old way of doing things.

The developers who aren't just in it for the cash will definaely be able to make some really good games with the Revolution, though it is kinda obvious that at first it's going to have to be Nintendo to lead the way with their own franchises before anyone else really picks up the new way of doing things and really runs with it. Everyone is just too used to how it was done before in the old days.

Hmm..Revolution.

*Faints*

Eh, if there are SW games with swordfighting by swinging the controller...They're mine!

*Imagines a SW game with lightsaber figting online...Whoa...*

Whoa! Then you'd actually have to be good!

Otherwise you're pwned online!

It obviously HAS three dimensions of motion detection. They explained that the demos could detect the controller moving closer or away, in addition to the up, down and sideways motions. Since they have that kind of detection, you could merely have the controller acting as your hilt, and respond accordingly.

Ah, ok, I didn't know that.

I dunno how many sensors are in the remote itself... There are two ( or maybe more) sensors that sit on either side of the tv. It should be able to use these to work out the relative position of the unit... then maybe sensors in the machine itself to work out its orientation.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived