Home

Administrative Capabilties

tarafudge

Well on the first connect, that person's IP would be banned because of his name, such as a clan with bad intentions toward the server and its members. If that person decides to leave than he can contact through other methods... I see this as more comprehensive, I know a person can change his name, and find a new computer to play on, but the purpose is to make it has hard as possible to return.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't see the benefit...

So I could just use this "feature" to ban anyone with the word "Darth" in their name. The instant they joined they would be IP banned. That's really stupid.

Just status and IP ban the guy. If he's trying to be "stealthy" he won't use a name you're going to recognize anyway, and somebody else might innocently use his name (after all, there's nothing to register a name, anyone can use it, period).

Your system wouldn't be anymore useful than an IP ban, as I see it. He can still use another ISP, proxy, computer, whatever. He can move around forever and you can keep banning him. The thing is, it's always easier for the admin because you just have to type a line. He has to jump through hoops. Banning names just ensures that people with a similar idea for a name are caught in the crossfire.

What's to stop a nasty person from impersonating somebody and getting them banned?

Besides having undue side effects for something that wouldn't be much (if any) more beneficial than the usual IP bans, this smacks of the "banning gun syndrome" of the admin mods, that makes it far too easy to punish people, leading lazy admins to make it difficult for anyone to play on their server, not just the "bad" ones.

• 3 months later...

Perhaps specialized gametypes would help. I see 2 possible options:

1. Duel-Only Gametype - Basically, all players are invulnerable until they enter a duel.

2. FFA/Duel Hybrid Gametype - Players can choose to be Duel-Only or open to FFA (Perhaps using a modified version of the team system).

For the hybrid gametype, players on the Duel "team" cannot take or inflict damage unless dueling. FFA players can attack other FFA players, but not players in Duel mode. Players can challenge anyone, regardless of their mode. Also, players should be able to switch modes without losing their score (but perhaps with a slight delay, to prevent exploitation).

Not sure about the technical feasability of this, but I thought I'd offer the idea for consideration, at least.

You deathmatchers should lay off the insults for people who want to play the game differently than you. If you like UT style deathmatches with JKA then fine. You bought the game, etc. But the same goes for those of us who like to play the "honorz" or "enthusiast" way. They bought the game too and the internet's big enough to let them play it the way they want to.

As it happens I agree with tarafudge's type of play completely and have fun with it though it's been a long time since. That said I don't think Razor should start working on anti-laming additions to OJP. Two reasons for that are: 1) there are plenty of features in OJP that are short of testing already and 2) i like a more "real life" approach where if you have troublemakers in your "society" (server) you police it as part of the game. Gang up on him or have good players available that can kill him first. Treat it like a RPG experience if that's what you want. Defend your turf. Then if the guys who break your rules get rude or abusive you can kick/ban them and that's that.

Hey not to mention, tarafudge, the OJP sourcecode is available. Make a mod from it yourself. Try your hand at inventing a new way to control the lamers and it might be better than what came before. If you don't know how to program you can find someone to help or you can do like me and learn as you go.

PS - the insulting was referring to has dried up on this second page of comments thank God. But can we not bring it up again.

My clan's server currently runs an FFA JA+ server with rules against laming. You don't have to like that, but we do and so do the many people who play on our server. I'm interested in OJP but my clanmates have grown accustomed to the admin features, so it is unlikely.

I understand Razor's position, and that is why I suggested the gametypes. He prefers to avoid having the activity take place in the first place, rather then punishing afterward. I think the hybrid gametype would suit that purpose because the dueler or "enthusiast" player would not have to worry about being attacked outside of duels so long as he is on the "dueling" team. Meanwhile FFA players are free to have their all-out FFA with other players on that team. Both the the Enthusiast's "FFA" and real FFA gameplay can then take place on the same server at the same time, with no punishments by admins needed.

Archived