Home

bot force powers

KevinCoyle

I have a few questions about the bots use of force powers in Jedi Academy. Darkside bots seem to overuse lightning, in a FFA game with several bots, lightning flies everywhere. I checked some of the .jkb files, and many bots that have lightning set to 0 still use lightning like crazy, while I've never seen a bot use grip or speed. Did they prevent bots from using certains powers in academy? is there any way to fix this?

I also noticed that if you disable a single forcepower, the bots will nolonger use any force powers which kind of limits that option.

Also was just curious if there are any mods in the works that improve the bots in multiplayer to make them behave more like SP NPCs? The npcs are much more challenging then bots set to Jedi Master.

I've noticed some problems too. Sometimes the bots use tons of force, other times they seem to rarely use powers they have that could clearly benefit them (other than Jump, or the auto pull/push "block" power of course).

OJP mod vastly improves the bots. But see it's a combination fo code, plus better bot files and better routes through maps.

The thing about SP AI is that they are completely different from MP Bots. See in Single Player an NPC's goal in life is to just stand there until the player shows up, then fight him for awhile and die. Most NPC's will just stand around until they are attacked by the player or else they will stand still firing, or just run away once their gun is pulled. In MP the bots are supposed to immitate players. A player doesn't just stand around waiting for somebody to attack him, he navigates a circuit through the map collecting items and weapons, has to know how to use multiple weapons and force powers and get kills fighting multiple opponents. It's an entirely different animal.

People who do nothing but saber duel I think forget this. That's why SP AI is no substitute for MP Bots when it comes to the vast majority of things.

And no offense, but if you're going to play NPC's, you can do that already in single player or start a solo game with cheats enabled.

The basejka bots suck, I agree, but check out OJP and see how you like those bots! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. ;)

http://ojp.jediknight.net/

For a sample of them in action, join my server (Meatgrinder) at the IP in my sig (Or check the status below:)

http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/server_status.shtml

yeah, I realize that. Perhaps "behave more like SP NPC's" wasn't the best choice of phrasing. If I wanted to fight NPC's, I'd spawn them in SP or MP like you said. I meant more along the lines of making them more challenging and act a little more like the single player NPCs like using taunts and the full range of moves.

I tried OJP a while back, I'm not sure what version it was but a had some problems with it.

The biggest thing about the bots I didn't like with it was that they open up with a kata 100% of the time when the would attack another player or bot. Any time 2 bots came in contact with each other, they'd both kata and whoever got the head start on their kata would usually be the survivor.

Also, the game was jerky while running OJP, I think it was related to the bots because when all were kicked the jerkiness went away.

The final problems I had with it were when creating a server, there were several new gametypes that had no name so it wasn't clear what it was, and it unlocks all the duel maps in the FFA gametype so I can't use "Auto cycle maps" cause I'll end up in a duel map with 8 characters which is way to crowded. I could always call a vote to switch maps so its not a huge problem, but It is a bit inconvienent. I'm not sure why that was done.

Have these issues been addressed in more recent versions? I tried the link you provided but it didn't work. PCgamemods is also down which is the only other place I know that has more recent versions of OJP

The links don't work because for some reason (I don't know why) JediKnight.net's server is down. When it comes back up you should be able to access.

The most recent version of OJP shouldn't have the problems you listed, though the "jerkiness" could be a result of having a low end machine. I can have 16 bots and it doesn't get jerky for example, and I've got a 128 mb video card, 2 ghz processor and 256 mb ram (win2kpro).

As for the map cycle, with OJP I really don't use automapcycle anymore. Rather I use a vstr list for my map cycle.

Here's some samples exerpted from my cfg file:

set g_npcspskill "5"

set g_spskill "5"

set bot_minplayers 8

set g_autoMapCycle 0

//ffa maps

set dm1 "fraglimit "35"; timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 0; map mp/ffa1; set nextmap vstr dm2"

set dm2 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 0; map mp/ffa2; set nextmap vstr dm3"

set dm3 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 0; map mp/ffa3; set nextmap vstr dm4"

set dm4 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 0; map mp/ffa4; set nextmap vstr dm5"

set dm5 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 0; map mp/ffa5; set nextmap vstr ctf1"

//ctf maps

set ctf1 "capturelimit "8"; timelimit "20"; set g_gametype 8; map mp/ctf1; set nextmap vstr ctf2"

set ctf2 "capturelimit "8"; timelimit "20"; set g_gametype 8; map mp/ctf2; set nextmap vstr ctf3"

set ctf3 "capturelimit "8"; timelimit "20"; set g_gametype 8; map mp/ctf3; set nextmap vstr ctf4"

set ctf4 "capturelimit "8"; timelimit "20"; set g_gametype 8; map mp/ctf4; set nextmap vstr ctf5"

set ctf5 "capturelimit "8"; timelimit "20"; set g_gametype 8; map mp/ctf5; set nextmap vstr jm1"

//jedi master

set jm1 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 2; map mp/ffa3; set nextmap vstr jm2"

set jm2 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 2; map mp/ffa2; set nextmap vstr jm3"

set jm3 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 2; map mp/ffa1; set nextmap vstr siege1"

//siege maps

set siege1 "kick allbots; timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 7; map mp/siege_korriban; set nextmap vstr siege2"

set siege2 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 7; map mp/siege_hoth; set nextmap vstr siege3"

set siege3 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 7; map mp/siege_desert; set nextmap vstr dm1"

//start map

vstr dm1

More samples (edit how you like to connect them up):

//team deathmatch maps

set td1 "fraglimit "50"; timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 6; map mp/ffa1; set nextmap vstr td2"

set td2 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 6; map mp/ffa2; set nextmap vstr td3"

set td3 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 6; map mp/ffa3; set nextmap vstr td4"

set td4 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 6; map mp/ffa4; set nextmap vstr td5"

set td5 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 6; map mp/ffa5; set nextmap vstr ctf1"

//holocron maps

set ho1 "fraglimit "35"; timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 1; map mp/ffa1; set nextmap vstr ho2"

set ho2 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 1; map mp/ffa2; set nextmap vstr ho3"

set ho3 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 1; map mp/ffa3; set nextmap vstr ho4"

set ho4 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 1; map mp/ffa4; set nextmap vstr ho5"

set ho5 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 1; map mp/ffa5; set nextmap vstr ctf1"

//powerduel maps

set pd1 "bot_minplayers "0";kick allbots; fraglimit "1"; duel_fraglimit "15";set g_gametype 4; map mp/duel3; set nextmap vstr pd2"

set pd2 "set g_gametype 4; map mp/duel6; set nextmap vstr pd3"

set pd3 "set g_gametype 4; map mp/duel8; set nextmap vstr pd4"

set pd4 "set g_gametype 4; map mp/duel4; set nextmap vstr pd1"

//extended jedi master cycle

set jn1 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 2; map mp/ffa2; set nextmap vstr jn2"

set jn2 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 2; map mp/ffa1; set nextmap vstr jn3"

set jn3 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 2; map mp/ffa3; set nextmap vstr jn4"

set jn4 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 2; map mp/ffa4; set nextmap vstr jn5"

set jn5 "timelimit "40"; set g_gametype 2; map mp/ffa5; set nextmap vstr siege1"

//cty maps

set cty1 "capturelimit "4"; timelimit "20";set g_gametype 9; map mp/ctf1; set nextmap vstr cty2"

set cty2 "capturelimit "4"; timelimit "20";set g_gametype 9; map mp/ctf2; set nextmap vstr cty3"

set cty3 "capturelimit "4"; timelimit "20";set g_gametype 9; map mp/ctf3; set nextmap vstr cty4"

set cty4 "capturelimit "4"; timelimit "20";set g_gametype 9; map mp/ctf4; set nextmap vstr cty5"

set cty5 "capturelimit "4"; timelimit "20";set g_gametype 9; map mp/ctf5; set nextmap vstr jm1"

Here's a really good command for a the auto balancer feature:

set g_teamForceBalance "4"

That balances bots and humans on teams. Change it to a lower number for less evenness (0 is off).

The samples above should provide you some clues how the cycles work until you can make your own. ;) Notice I didn't link them all up, so if you just copy and paste you won't get all of them, as some of the cycles segway into others.

Contact me on ICQ (3295836), AIM (KurganJKnet) or Yahoo (KurganJK2net) and I can send you the necessary pk3's. OJP Basic 007beta8 is the latest version. If you want the Linux server files as well, I'll see what I can work out for you!

I downloaded OJP basic beta7 and i'm still experiencing the same problems. I didn't really notice the Jerkiness this time, but the bots still use katas all the time, and it's always their first move when they attack. I also still get two gametypes without a name. One is the coop gametype, the other I'm not sure what it is. Its between Holocron FFA and duel. Thats not really a complaint since it's not that big a deal, but if it's not suppose to happen in might show that somethings not working right which my be related to some of the other issues.

Are the missing gametype names and bots always using katas normal for OJP basic?

Archived