Home

Oblivion [warning: contains some spoilers]

Fuu

Is anyone else looking forward to this game release? I love Bethesda Softworks.

Before I became obsessed with KoTOR I spent hundreds of hours playing Morrowind. I'm not kidding (Its kinda nice being a demi-god, long live Nerevar! :queen )

I was looking at the new screen shots and I really love the detail Bethesda puts into their games. With graphics like that, who would'nt want to live in Cryodyll?

That Minotaur is flipppin awesome!

Ooo I hope they release a construction set like they did for Morrowind.

Comments?

-Fuu

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Biggest problem with Morrowind was that it failed to draw you into its story. I never felt as I was unravelling a mystery, I felt more like I was running around gathering weapons and armor and watching the nice scenery. Games like Knights of the Old Republic or Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines or Planescape: Torment, those games I played everytime I had 30 free minutes because I had to know what happened next, I HAD to unravel the mystery. Morrowind never did that for me. I NEVER played Morrowind because I had to know what happened next, not even once. It's not that the story was uninteresting, because it wasn't. The story was quite good, but the implementation of the story in the gameplay failed to complement each-other (as it should), the story was lost in the details of character-management. You either played the game or followed the story, you couldn't do both... Sure it's a free world and you can do whatever you want and you can go whereever you want, but that's only interesting for so long if there's nothing pushing you forward.

Besides finding out you are a god reborn, should have a bigger impact other than "Oh, ok...". *Points to the revelation Malak does to your PC on the Leviathan* as an example.

Now, Oblivion. It looks great, graphic-wise, kind of pale in its color-scheme (the kind of color-scheme that many MMORPGS use), the combat (what I picked up from the trailers and gameplay videos) looks rather "stiff" looks like the combat in Morrowind, I really hope they develop the combat more and make it more fluent.

So if Oblivion has the character-management of Morrowind, the size, a more fluent combat system and makes the story a part of the game - THEN it will be one of the best games ever! But it has a lot of work ahead.

Here's to hope, because it's one of the very, very few single player rpg-s to be released, in the near future.

I tried Morrowind, the gameplay sucked, the setting was too dark (its not my monitor), there was no GUI, so I didnt know what to do, the controls were sloppy, and there was no intro, so I had no idea why I was in a ship, or what was going on. So unless theres some outstanding reviews or the revamp the whole game system, Im not likely to buy it.

I tried Morrowind, the gameplay sucked, the setting was too dark (its not my monitor), there was no GUI, so I didnt know what to do, the controls were sloppy, and there was no intro, so I had no idea why I was in a ship, or what was going on. So unless theres some outstanding reviews or the revamp the whole game system, Im not likely to buy it.

yeah same here I got killed by a DAMN FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5 minutes into the game

I have morrowind and the game of the year edition for Xbox, and I LOOOVE it. I'll admit that I'm a junkie when it comes to RPG's, but I really think morrowind was a good game, and character management and leveling was super sweet.

I'm deffinately getting Oblivion for the 360 when it releases.

I loved the game and I'll get Oblivion for the PC as soon as it gets out. Sure, you can get lost and it's not story driven like Kotor but once you get into the Morrowind "world", it's quite fun to play but it's definitely not a game to play when you are in a hurry.

From what I see on the Oblivion website, the new game looks quite promising and this time they'll have a new AI system for the npcs: they sleep, go to church, and even steal items, all based on their individual characteristics. Full facial animations and lip-synching, combined with full speech for all dialog, allows NPCs to come to life like never before. .

This article about stealth, looks pretty good too: http://elderscrolls.com/codex/team_teamprof_emil.htm

I love Morrowind ... I'm still playing with my first character, and that since the English version was published in Germany back 2002. So you can say I played Morrowind for over 3 years, although I made breaks for KotOR, TSL, Republic Commando etc. :nut: And all the beautiful mods! :hearteye: The Reign of Fire mod made me continue playing MW after TSL. Just too cool riding your own big pet dragon and let it spit fire / poison / electric shockballs at your enemies! :D

But even without dragons, I'll get Oblivion as soon as it's published here. :)

... full speech for all dialog...

Come on... Kotor's speech is what? 3GB (it's unintalled so i can't check)? oblivion would surely need 3-4 times as much as that... so we're talking a minimum of 9GB on you harddrive with only speech, then there's the engine, the construction kit... so it would end up with 12-18 GB total... that's a lot...

I dont care if its ten cds! With all the quests that were in MW I was impressed that so many characters were voiced in the firstplace..... you can talk to random people on the street and they actually have something to say other than just a pop up one liner.

I'm impressed by what theyre doing with the AI too. In MW they dust did or didnt like you based on your faction/race. In Oblivion the characters will have their own little lives, and if you dont watch out they might steal yours! Haaa

Also I kinda dug how it actually changed from day to night and back again. Dont ask me why but the whole "perma day" thing alot of games have annoys me. If its been a month how come I havent slept yet?

MW is not for the feint of heart..... and i doubt Oblivion will be much diffrent.... Haha when I first played MW I got so pissed because I kept dying. Once I built up a few skills the game was more enjoyable. I loved the huge amount of potions you could make/buy/steal/find in a random log. (Alchemy....Wooot!)

After spending hundreds of hours on MW Im sure I'll pick up the interface of Oblivion really quick.......I cant wait...been savin my pennies.

Morrowind is a wicked game, one of the best I've ever played ... still haven't finished though heh ... I read this thread and was like "I'm a freaking god?!" ... oh well. With all the mods out there now like the graphical updates and a whole lot of expanded towns and quests and new features like being able to mine and smith your own weapons and stuff it is really huge. Even more than it was already. Heh plus the two expansions.

Anyway Oblivion looks to be awesome as well, aside from the graphics which are top-notch. Too bad my pc is too crap to play it hehe...

Come on... Kotor's speech is what? 3GB (it's unintalled so i can't check)? oblivion would surely need 3-4 times as much as that... so we're talking a minimum of 9GB on you harddrive with only speech, then there's the engine, the construction kit... so it would end up with 12-18 GB total... that's a lot...

Considering games are getting heavier in graphics and all, it wouldn't be that uncommon to see games getting around that size in the near future.

That said, I like a lot of the shots I've seen of Oblivion, not sure if it's something I'll get though.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm in Morrowind-mode right now -- switching to Oblivion will be a bumpless transfer. ;)

I'm copying you! :xp:

I started about a week ago. I bought the Game of the Year Edition which has the game and add-ons. Though I know it's going to take forever for me to get through them (damn rats.. I swear they're on steroids :fist: ) ... I'm hoping Oblivion will be a seamless transfer... :D

I have to say I'm glad ppl were mentioning this game here and around the Forums. I think I might have found another all-time favorite to add to the list :emodanc:

Though as mentioned... the controls need some getting used to coming from NWN & KotOR Series. Seems the spacebar won't pause my game no matter how bad I'm getting whipped (old habits die hard) :nut: ... that & I can kill a vampire no problem, but getting pwned by a freakin' rat biting my ankles as I'm running is just un-acceptable.. hehehe

Yeah those rats have sharp teeth...I loved setting em on fire sqeeeeee! OO the GotY Edition is my fave loved the Tribunal expansion. If you think the rats are bad wait til you see creepies in the sewers, hehe they remind me of ratghouls only a tiny bit smarter. Then again I usually just levitated over them anyway so..........

Woot MW was soo addicting, I know I'm going to get competely sucked into Oblivion.

On a side note I think its funny a rat can bite you as you run away... I mean if somone was trying to kill you would they stop <trying to kill you> if you started running? Theyd probably just try to stab you in the back hahaha.

I'm glad im not the only one impressed by Bethesda's work. I can say one thing they put a LOT of attention to detail in their games..... pcrpg will never be the same.

I wonder if the Mages Guild will make an appearance in Oblivion.

Fuu

I'm copying you! :xp:

I started about a week ago. I bought the Game of the Year Edition which has the game and add-ons.

If you want some mods recomendations, let me know :) Last time I played I had over 200 mods installed (I had to merge quite a few files to make this compatible hehe)

OMG Sweeeeeeetttttt. Patrick Stewart is doing voices for Oblivion! So is Sean Bean, and Terrence Stamp. :drool1: Now I know the VO is going to be good.....

See this is just another reason why I cant wait for Oblivion.....want it to be xmas right now!

Check the Oblivion site for more info........

Fuu

If you want some mods recomendations, let me know :) Last time I played I had over 200 mods installed (I had to merge quite a few files to make this compatible hehe)

If you have any good mods to recommend (or mod sites for that matter), please tell. :)

First time I got Morrowind a few years ago the game crashed every time I tried to exit the door of the first building on the docks where you start, so I sold it again just as quick. But after reading this thread and feeling a bit starved for new RPGs (and since they almost pay you to buy it nowadays) I thought I'd give it another chance. :)

Archived